Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing is Way to Cheap

Poster: A snowHead
Flims-Laax boss Gurtner expects price explosion

"Day tickets will cost 200 to 300 francs"

"""Skiing is far too cheap today," says Gurtner. The price maximum is far from being reached. He cites inflation for the increase in tariffs. But also a shortage of supply. According to the industry expert, the rush to the ski resorts, which will continue to be snow-sure in the future, will increase. At the same time, he believes that enough winter sports enthusiasts will be willing to pay these prices in the future. "When it comes to golf, there are also people who pay 1000 francs for a round."

https://www.blick.ch/wirtschaft/flims-laax-chef-gurtner-erwartet-preisexplosion-tageskarten-werden-200-bis-300-franken-kosten-id20209349.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
He's probably right. If the trend of 5% per annum increases in lift passes continue then your 75 euro day pass today will be 160 euros by 2040. Let's see how much wages have not risen by then.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In recent years, skiing/boarding has seemingly moved quite quickly from affordable/reasonably priced day tickets to "How much?!" Shocked Zermatt is over 90 CHF for a day on the glacier and Hintertux is currently €77 for 20km of piste. And I won't even mention the USA... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Be careful what they wish for - although isn't Flims- Laax already potentially in bed with Alterra/Ikon so maybe he's just frontrunning the global megapass https://snowbrains.com/ikon-versus-epic-pass-alterra-is-also-eyeing-flims-laax-falera-switzerland/#google_vignette

High day tix prices almost certainly leads to a value proposition around a season pass/ limited days season pass or even a mult-season pass to really lock punters in.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mountainaddict, the usa is different.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sounds like wishful thinking from a ski resort boss Laughing

Though he will be right at some point in the future, with the constant erosion of the value of money. My parents first house cost £3,750! Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Unfortunately the family resorts (with cheap lift pass) also tend to be lower altitude. As reality of climate change hits its inevitable skiing will become ever more gentrified and restricted to handful of upmarket high altitude resorts.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Be careful what they wish for - although isn't Flims- Laax already potentially in bed with Alterra/Ikon so maybe he's just frontrunning the global megapass https://snowbrains.com/ikon-versus-epic-pass-alterra-is-also-eyeing-flims-laax-falera-switzerland/#google_vignette

High day tix prices almost certainly leads to a value proposition around a season pass/ limited days season pass or even a mult-season pass to really lock punters in.

Yep he’s drunk the Vail Resorts kool aid
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Was the subject heading here meant to be: Skiing is way too cheap?

If as existing - Skiing is way to cheap - needs some turbo adding Laughing

Skiing is way to cheap (thrills?)
Skiing is way to cheap (dates?)
Skiing is way to cheap (pints of mild?)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
^^^ Good that @wiigman! Laughing
Quote:
the usa is different
It is indeed @under a new name wink - and the walk-up price for lift tickets is extortionate too!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’d rather pay £200 for a day’s skiing than an oasis concert.
Pays your take your choice
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It will keep the riff-raff out.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nothing new.

Been discussed on here for years.

Europe is Americanizing.

In the US, 300 per day is the new 100.

At times of high demand, they're already topping $1,000 a day.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I paid about 90 euros for a 3 day adult pass in Bardonecchia in March this year, with insurance, and had a great time. I'm having a look at places like Villard de Lans and Les Sept Laux for next January, mainly because of the very interesting reports by definella. The passes seem a bargain in mid-January, with midweek passes at around 30 euros per day. I'm sure that big resorts will continue to increase their lift pass prices, but it does seem there are enough places around with good skiing, lifts, and prices to escape to. If anything, big resorts increasing their prices makes me look elsewhere even more. And the odd older lift, in these cheaper resorts, just doesn't bother me.

I'm sure there are places where you can pay 1000 francs for a round of golf, but I'd imagine you can also pay £30 a round somewhere and have a pretty good afternoon. Same with wine, same with cars, same with skiing. I've never been to Flims-Laax, but is its skiing in the 1000 francs per round league?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In Europe they could double the price tomorrow and I’d still buy a lift ticket.

On the USA. No one in their right mind buys day tickets. And with forward planning the pass products are cheap. I’ll be skiing for approx 40USD a day when I’m there in January. At world class ski hills no less.
snow conditions
YellowAndBlue wrote:
I've never been to Flims-Laax, but is its skiing in the 1000 francs per round league?

I have been there and it is a pleasant resort but not particularly better than other resorts in the 200 km range - except for snowboarders for whom it is something of a freestyle mecca.

I can see where the claim comes from. The "rignt" price can't be more than the market will support, which most likely can't be enough to run a decent sized resort and put in the ongoing investment required. But it almost certainly is enough if you take into account all the associated economic activity, hotels, lettings, restaurants and so on. The traditional European model is a local lift company who rely on grant funding for infrastructure investment from the local town/region which benefits from that economic activity - but they aren't prepared to do that if it is owned by some American private enterprise business who cream off 25% of that funding. So the new hope is to promote themselves as a luxury destination, knowing that the Louis Vuitton brigade are prepared to pay prices that easily allow excessive profits. Unfortunately that is by definition a rarified market (the selling point is exclusivity) and it doesn't seem to me that Laax is ever going to compete with St Moritz, Zermatt, Verbier, etc who have already sewn up that market in Switzerland.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy