Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First family ski trip destination recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Hello

I’m planning to book my first family ski trip in February 2025, ideally 3-4 days. I’ve ski’d before but it will be my family’s first time, wife and daughters, 11 & 5.

I’m overwhelmed with the choices and hoping someone can make the decision for me! I’m limiting my search to France just for the convenience of flying from Manchester to Geneva

Is there an obvious must pick? I’ve read recommendations for so many, naming just a few; Flaine, La Plagne, Les arc, Tignes, La rosiere, Avoriaz

Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No obvious pick - and most of those you list are not. You'll get loads of advice here, most of it sensible. Is your plan for school half term? You might find the standard week holiday much easier from many points of view. French resorts will be very busy at half term which is peak school hols in France too. Don't discount Italy at this stage. Pila is a small resort suitable for beginners. Affordable, and v easy drive from Turin. Though for a first holiday with family it's worth looking at a tour operator who will take on some of the organizing.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If most of your family are total beginners, I would go for somewhere small to medium in size, not neceassrily the ones above, they are not going to do lots of milage (and so neither are you Very Happy ). Why pay for a big domain lift pass if you are not going to use it.

I assume you are driving from Geneva, therefore look for ones within whatever range you are happy to drive.

Les Contamines is somewhere we've been which might work, but no ski in -ski out accomodation and you do need a car.

As its half term, you need to get a move on if you want to have Group lessons, they can get booked up.

But if all else fails, as above go with a tour operator, I know Ski Olympic go from Manchester, and whilst no personal experience, they seem a pretty good family owned business.

I'm sure someone will be along to recommend a particular resort.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 17-09-24 13:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome @Mike112788.

The nature of Snowheads is that there are a lot of experienced skiers who book the different components of trips themselves (flight, transfer, accommodation, ski hire, tuition) but for a family's first time I would advise using a tour operator. It gives you the benefit of a rep you can ask advice from, and once you know the ropes you understand what you need to do if you want to organise the next trip yourself.

However.... you are asking for a short break not a whole week, and from your children's ages probably in the UK half term. The non-standard stay will cause you problems, at that peak season very little accommodation is available for other than a full week though you may be able to choose less expensive flights. And you won't be able to make use of ski school classes.

So if you do need to DIY I would suggest going somewhere near to Geneva with lots of transfer buses going there. Somewhere like Portes du Soleil (you mention Avoriaz, otherwise Les Gets can work well for first timers) or Flaine. Nothing wrong with the other suggestions but I would save them and their longer transfers until you know you can make good use of the pistes beyond the beginner area. You will have a difficult hunt for 4-5 nights accommodation, you might be lucky with a hotel otherwise you may need to pay for a whole week's self-catered apartment (in practice for a short stay you will probably eat out in the evenings, so food in the apartment will mostly be breakfast and a possible return for lunch). And you will need to move fast to book private instruction, you will probably need a couple of hours a day as a family group on the basis you can spend the rest of the time consolidating your skills on pistes you have done with the instructor. Ski hire is likely to be the easiest bit, most hire shops won't have run out of beginner level skis, but again worth booking in advance.

I hope it all works for you, skiing can make for fantastic family holidays. Sorry not to be entirely positive, it does add lots of complications not doing a whole week using a tour operator at that point in the season.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://www.peakretreats.co.uk/blog/archive/ski-resorts-near-geneva-airport

As ster says smaller ski areas would give you better value for money.

And as @Origen says if going HT you've probably missed the cheap flights, would need to book a week and need to get your skates on - for lessons, etc.

If you could go at Christmas or when schools break up for "Easter" it would be better.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mike112788, 3 or 4 days, is that in addition to travelling days? Can you not manage a week? 3 or 4 days is barely enough time for the family to settle into lessons (if you can get them at all) and no time to consolidate skills. Next time you go they are possibly going to be starting all over again.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We took ours to Flaine for their first couple of trips. Near Geneva, fairly snowsure (1650m?), beginner slopes just by some of the accommodation - we stayed at the Totem which Crystal used to use, which was family friendly and literally on the beginner slopes so easy to nip back lunchtimes etc.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the input so far everyone. The idea behind 3/4 days was merely a safeguard in case the children don’t take to it. I’d not considered Easter as an option, that now expands what was already a myriad of options!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is Austria an option?
The extra time it will cost you in the UK travelling to an airport can easily be made up Austrian side when there there are tons of options close to Innsbruck & Salzburg. Compare that to France & you are looking at 3hour travel after landing.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Easter might be a better choice as it's usually a lot warmer.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’m not against Austria, I was just trying to narrow down the search as not to get too overwhelmed with choice. If anyone has a tried and tested destination/resort that’s what I’m hoping for. My 15years of skiing have only been with friends, none of whom are yet to do a family orientated ski holiday so no recommendations from within
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mike112788 wrote:
Thanks for the input so far everyone. The idea behind 3/4 days was merely a safeguard in case the children don’t take to it. I’d not considered Easter as an option, that now expands what was already a myriad of options!

If you go at Easter (good plan I think but HT is also fine) then I'd go somewhere highish where you can get ski-in ski-out. Flaine and La Plagne are good examples with friendly pistes for beginners. HT and you have many more good choices. Were you thinking hotel or self-catering?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike112788 wrote:
The idea behind 3/4 days was merely a safeguard in case the children don’t take to it.

That's always a risk but it can be mitigated against. One of the reasons many favour France is that with good planning you can get accommodation close to the ski school meet up/drop off. Take/hire/buy sledges. Take a sandpit shovel for the younger one to play in the snow. Always have mini chocolate bars in their pocket or with you. Take them to snowparks or cut throughs in the forest.

Mike112788 wrote:
I’d not considered Easter as an option

We go at Christmas and Easter, only been Feb HT once (around 14 years except the pandemic). If you are braced for it Feb HT is liveable but the other two are cheaper. Christmas it just depends if you like Christmas at home or not. And don't mind the winter conditions. Easter with beginner kids is probably the best as it's warmer and the days are longer/brighter. It's the quietist of the 3 options - hence the easiest to book and cheapest.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Layne, I would agree about Easter except that for 2025 it is relatively late (Easter Sunday 20th April). Everything gets a bit of a risk beyond the first week of April except in the highest resorts.

@Mike112788, as long as you don't feed the children with negative possibilities (or for that matter unrealistic expectations) there shouldn't be a problem. Most children enjoy the challenge, and the way it is an "adventure" compared with other holidays. A week means everyone can be in ski school, probably your wife in an adult class and the two children in a beginner child class, and at UK half term there is a high chance they will make some British friends for the duration.

Your job as the one experienced skier is to be ready to supply the sugar boost needed at the end of a tiring lesson, and to ensure non-instructed skiing (ski school is usually half a day) appropriately consolidates the skills they have learned without over-challenging them when they may be tired.

@andy from embsay's experience is what you need, ideally accommodation easy to get to after ski school (typically morning sessions) so everyone can sit down for lunch in the apartment and recharge for the afternoon.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mike112788,
Have you considered taking the family to Chill Factore (Trafford Park, Manchester) or Xscape (Glasshoughton, Castleford) for a learn to ski/board day? See if they take to it, then look at a holiday.
If you look on the snowEvents thread there is the Snowheads Family Bash to consider.
snow conditions
j b wrote:
@Layne, I would agree about Easter except that for 2025 it is relatively late (Easter Sunday 20th April). Everything gets a bit of a risk beyond the first week of April except in the highest resorts.

That is not when the schools break up. Which is what matters. My daughters school breaks up on 4th April.
latest report
Hi everyone, some really invaluable advise in here so thanks for the engagement. Can anyone share some resorts/destinations they’ve been too with family/would recommend so I can get some ideas and frame of reference to build a plan from there?
snow report
@Mike112788,

Go at Easter, and go for the full week. As others have said, it'll take a few days for the beginners to get into the swing of it.

We learned in Rauris in Austria. Its a tiny resort and suited us just fine. However lessons in Austria tend to be full days. Rauris is low, so would work for February if you particularly wanted to go there.

Otherwise, go to Les Arcs at Easter. As early in the holidays as you can as its late this year. Stay in 1800 and your newbies will learn on the Mille8 green run. Lessons are mornings only, so you have the afternoons to relax, play in the snow, or swim if your children are overwhelmed. What you'll probably find is that they want to lap the Mille8 run showing you what they've learned.

You get get to Les Arcs by plane, train or automobile, so there's plenty of options to find the best fit for your family.

If you stay in the village bit of 1800, you can walk to the meet point from most areas. Some accommodation (Chantel and Edenarc) are located higher up and require you to ski down, so I'd avoid those for this trip.

Staying in 1800 gives easy access to a variety of activities and restaurants as well as very gentle blues over to Peisey-Vallandry towards the end of the week. Head for Forêt Pitchouns.

Mille8 run here:
http://youtube.com/v/yB-Q_dOCLPY?si=nYK_IEaL6xNGRmAg

Forêt Pitchouns here:
http://youtube.com/v/IIxGhms4JF8?si=AMY1c9jqaw3dRRoj

There's also easy access to 1950 and 2000 from 1800, with gentle blues all the way. And the novelty of being able to literally ski through the street.

http://youtube.com/v/Lkc1DhtpslA?feature=shared

You can also stay in 1950, but I'd say there's less option for extracurricular activities there.
snow conditions
We stayed here in Les Arcs last year.

https://t.vrbo.io/XyyYkpQcYMb

It's a 2 bed apartment very close to the meet point. It was a 2 minute walk in normal shoes, and a 5 minute walk in ski boots. You walk to the escalator and the meet point is at the top of the escalator. This is the meet point for Evolution2. Other ski schools meet further up an additional hill from the escalator.

To reduce complaints, I'd recommend walking your children over in normal shoes, and putting boots on when you arrive (there's decking at the top of the escalator). You carry skis, they carry boots.

Then you walk back to the apartment and kit up in peace (the boot room is accessible directly from the street level).

At lunchtime, put everyone's skis in one of the many racks and either walk back to the apartment, or enjoy the sunshine on one of the terraces and eat from one of the many establishments right by the bottom of the escalator.

Source: tried and tested method last year. Saw a reduction in complaints from children aged 9 and 11.
latest report
@Owlette, thanks so much for the detail, I love to hear it was tried and tested. My first ever ski trip was Les Arc back in 2008 so perhaps that’s the sign I am looking for!
snow report
@Mike112788, Norway. Great access from Manchester, good snow record, excellent English-speaking tuition. I've stayed at the attached as a now half-decent skier, and thought: I wish I could have learned somewhere like this (rather than much busier France). Quiet, mellow, brilliant hotel; plus enough for the better skier in the group. Transfer time a pain via Crystal (as into Oslo),but Manchester to Bergen (again lots of flights) means a 90min transfer. From the 200+ resorts I've been to, I can't think of a better leaner option...

https://www.crystalski.co.uk/ski-resorts/norway-ski-holidays/geilo/vestlia-resort/?cid=ppc71700000079041542%7Cp60191742281&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD_Jh741MQIGzOW9ShOgE0lb0eIJ6&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8e2Ipt_KiAMVTZpQBh02LgwzEAAYAyAAEgIvyfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
snow conditions
Dedicate yourself to their enjoyment, don’t expect to get much skiing for yourself. That way you should all have a relatively stress free time. If you are constantly clock watching for yourself, it ruins the holiday. Been there!
Go for early April, higher if possible, but they don’t need much snow to learn the basics.
snow report
@Mike112788, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

La Rosiere is on your list and, from personal experience (albeit quite a few years ago now), I think it would tick a lot of boxes for you and the family.

It’s at a decent altitude, so hopefully no snow issues (or lack of).
South-facing - will feel a lot warmer for the beginners who may be standing around a bit
The village isn’t huge, but nice to be able to walk around
The beginner slopes are accessible and well-suited to learning with nice options for progresssing
The ski schools have a good reputation and many instructors have good English.
The village has a good atmosphere
If you have a chance for a bit of a blast around, by yourself, there are some fun pistes with a link over to Italy should you find yourself with a little extra time on your hands.

Good luck, whatever you decide on Very Happy
snow report
Not sure if it's been mentioned above as not read all the replies.

I fly from Manc with kids, on my own. Manc (and Liverpool) is restricted and even more so on a 3/4 day break. I've taken to flying into Munich. Lufthansa fly everyday from Manc, so loads of options and it give you the skiwelt and Zillertal to go at. The B&B option in Austrai will be way more flexible than france, as per comments above, it'll be pretty impossible to get short let's.

Another option is Milan Malpensa.... everyday from Manc for the Italian Alps

Both milan and munich will require a car, maybe lucky getting a transfer at a good rate
snow report
As Owlette says - Les Arcs is the obvious choice. I've been 9 times and am going again in March. There's a thread from last year where I gave her some advice and she loved it. Its brilliant for families and has blues that go to the top. Here for more advice if you need but she covered most above.
latest report
Having continued researching resorts I realise I missed a key factor, transfer time. I’d prefer a shortest possible transfer time so ruling out Les arc and its 2.5hr transfer. I’m now leaning towards an Easter trip thanks to the useful input above. I’m liking the sound of Avoriaz due to the impressive swimming pool in town for the apres with my children. The other resort with a short transfer and good snow probability is Flaine. Is there much to do off the slopes in Flaine?

Now my search criteria is narrowing I’m going to see what Italy and Austria also offer up under:

High altitude Easter friendly
Short transfer
Good for kids
latest report
If you don’t want a transfer. You could get the Eurostar direct to Bourg using Travelski express. Or get the Eurostar to Paris. Then TGV to Bourg St Maurice. There is just a 7 minute funicular up to Les Arcs then. Which is free if you arrive by train and it departs from the train station. So no taxi at all. You can get free busses to all the Arcs from the top of the funicular if you don’t stay in Arc 1600. Arc 1800 is 10 mins by bus from the funicular.

Edited to say - my kids love the train with its cafe and they get their ipads out to play all the way

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 18-09-24 14:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Mike112788, whilst a short transfer is always desirable it's not the be all and end all. It's an hour more to Les Arcs than it is to Avoriaz by my reckoning. And in terms of journey from home to resort elapsed time no biggy. Just my 2p.

Not that there is anything wrong with Avoriaz (from what I've read, I've not been).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne wrote:
...whilst a short transfer is always desirable it's not the be all and end all.

While true, sorting out the transfer is a common source of anxiety for self-organisers. In fact it is one of the main reasons I suggested using a tour operator.

And in my experience there is a bigger risk of delays with transfers to and from the Tarentaise than with the resorts closer to Geneva.
latest report
@j b, your first point is a fair one - though the appetite for DIY is a personal thing and I don't believe the OP has said if they will go DIY or TO. Regardless of the time of the transfer it remains.

On the second one, quite possibly, especially at busy times. But early April should be fine.

My main point really was that it's just a factor, not the only or even necessarily the largest factor.
latest report
Quote:

You could get the Eurostar direct to Bourg using Travelski express. Or get the Eurostar to Paris. Then TGV to Bourg St Maurice.

As far as I can see theTravelski express stops running in Febuary.

@Mike112788, with Easter being so late in 2025 you need to check exactly which resorts are open. For example your shortlist contains Avoriaz and Flaine, which both close before Easter
ski holidays
@Mike112788, at Easter 2025 you will really need altitude. The extra transfer time to the Tarentaise is well worth considering. I'd be wary of both Flaine and Avoriaz at a late Easter, to be honest.

Are you planning to DIY? Flight or driving?
ski holidays
Check the dates of the children’s Easter holidays. If they start on 15 April it might be better to already go back to Feb half term. If 3 April, keep looking.
latest report
@Mike112788,
If you are sticking to your short trip plan then you may not have as many transfer options between Geneva & resort than you would have weekend to weekend. The more popular resorts may have more options, even if the transfers are longer.
snow conditions
Easter for us starts Saturday 5th April, thanks for the heads up on closures, I’ll look into it. I’ll most likely book through an operator as it’s my first time. If a shorter trip I was thinking to use the site Heidi, if a week I’ve gone thru Crystal before so presumed I’d use them again unless people have better sites. I’ll be relying on an airport transfer/coach/uber etc

I’m still open to locations just trying to create a shortlist atm to then see what deals/offers come up on the tour operator websites. I’m more open to a week now with the idea of Easter, ski week 1 and then the kids have week 2 to recover
snow report
We've driven and got the train to Les Arcs. We loved the train. An interrail pass was the best value.

It's true that Macker turned me on to it, and we're heading back for our third trip next year (by train).

Austria tends to be quite low, so there's less options at Easter. There are some, though, but I can't advise.

We're heading high in Italy at Christmas and are going to Cervinia. That's an hour and half transfer. The ski area is open until the first week of May, so there'll be plenty of snow left at Easter (fingers crossed). I can't give any further details though as its our first time. The transfer costs are astronomical if you DIY, so either book a TO as recommended above, or hire a car (we're hiring a car).
ski holidays
@Mike112788, As you are going well before the Easter holidays Faline and Avoriaz would still be open but I would still go somewhere higher and put up with the longer transfer. Afterall sitting on a coach for two and a half hours is a bit nicer than sitting on a plane for that length of time. The worse bit is waiting at the airport for that delayed flight from Glasgow to arrive.

My suggestion would be the same as that from @Owlette go to Arc 1800 and let a tour operator take the strain. And do not forget tons of factor 50.
ski holidays
PS. If you decided interrail, you would not pay for your children. Children under 12 have free interrail tickets, you just pay for their seat reservations.

Just to chuck another factor in there.
latest report
Layne wrote:
your first point is a fair one... On the second one, quite possibly, especially at busy times. But early April should be fine.

Sorry, when I wrote I hadn't noticed the OP had accepted the suggestion of April.

@Mike112788 Crystal is the obvious mass market tour operator, and in our experience they will get you there OK, but you have to interpret their offer. If you haven't encountered them before, a "studio apartment for 4" just about takes 4 sardines. It will have a living area just about big enough to fold out a double sofabed plus a couple of bunks in the hallway. You need to choose your accommodation with caution.

Anyway, roll on the adventure. Keep us informed. (And ask questions as required).
snow report
@Owlette, Austria tends to be quite low, so there's less options at Easter. There are some, though, but I can't advise.

The age old comment, yes it’s lower, but it’s further east so that ‘generally’ doesn’t matter I am told, I’m no expert but 1000m in Austria will be equivalent to 1200/1500/1800/2000m not sure exactly what, but 2000m in Austria is no comparison to 2000m in France generally.

No doubt some great high resorts in France offering almost guaranteed snow late season, I’ve done a number of March trips in Les Arcs and watch in envy seeing the thread on the EOSB at Val Thorens

Statistically be interesting to know if there are ‘less options at Easter ‘ in Austria , probably with the French mega purpose built resorts

Oh dear the France v Austria fun
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy