Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sestiere or Canazei or… at Christmas

Poster: A snowHead
Still deciding where to go at Christmas, 4 adults and 4 kids, good skiers, adults like vast linked areas, nice coffee and restaurants ( hence preference for Italy) . Kids want to try snowboarding this year so will need lessons. Budget is a bit tight so options that seem well priced are in Sestriere or Canazei, which of the two would suit our needs better? We have been to La Thuile and Champoluc - are these similar ? Really wanted to go to Cervinia again ( my first choice) or try Dolomites resorts such as Corvara or Val Gardena but to pricy… we limited by school holidays of course, can do either Christmas or NY weeks but obviously Christmas week should be cheaper and less busy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
if on a tight budget -- Sestiere
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, yes seems much cheaper indeed but how is the skiing and food?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sestriere doesn't always get much early season snow. If you are unlucky you will find very restricted skiing.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bella2015 wrote:
Thanks, yes seems much cheaper indeed but how is the skiing and food?

Food is good, but I believe the skiing/snow/snow making/lifts in the dolomites are superior !
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bella2015 wrote:
Still deciding where to go at Christmas, 4 adults and 4 kids, good skiers, adults like vast linked areas, nice coffee and restaurants ( hence preference for Italy) . Kids want to try snowboarding this year so will need lessons. Budget is a bit tight so options that seem well priced are in Sestriere or Canazei, which of the two would suit our needs better? We have been to La Thuile and Champoluc - are these similar ? Really wanted to go to Cervinia again ( my first choice) or try Dolomites resorts such as Corvara or Val Gardena but to pricy… we limited by school holidays of course, can do either Christmas or NY weeks but obviously Christmas week should be cheaper and less busy

I think either could suit you. Snow can be sparse early season in both, but snowmaking and grooming in the Dolomites is second to none, so would edge toward Canazei for that.

IMHO, the scenery and charm of the Dolomites is nicer than the Milky Way too. You also have the huge Sella Ronda linked area on your doorstep.

I stayed in Canazei a few years back and there was a family in the Chalet who had two lads who were first time snowboarders. They came on leaps and bounds and were even doing jumps on the giant air bag in the Belvedere sector above Canazei.

The gondola in Canazei can be busy in the morning, but the queue keeps moving. Hit it early or later to beat the rush...or catch the bus up to Alba which has lifts in two directions so is less subscribed.

New Year is generally the busiest week of the season in Italy, so best avoided if you don't like crowds, though Italian crowds are always fun to watch! Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is the Campitello option.. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mollerski wrote:

Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mollerski wrote:
Mr. Green
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
La Thuile.

Rated for good value and a reasonable altitude for snow at that time.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you all. We have already done La Thuile and although we enjoyed not rushing back just yet. So sounds like Canazei would be a better choice although more expensive than Sestriere
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And l saw that Campitello is more cost efficient choice but seems quite a lot lower and faff to get up and down
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bella2015 wrote:
And l saw that Campitello is more cost efficient choice but seems quite a lot lower and faff to get up and down

It's about budget I guess? Campitello is a bit faffier than Canazei, but compared to Arabba, Selva, Corvara and Colfosco, Canazei is pretty faffy. The thing being, from all of these villages you're skiing the Sella Ronda and everything around it. This is world class skiing, period. You can pick your village according to how good a deal you can find.

Sestriere, on the other hand is small and nice enough, but the skiing isn't in the same league in my opinion.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mollerski, thank you.. so you think the difference between the faff of Campitello vs Canazei is not that material? We don’t mind a bit of faff but as our kids will be learning snowboarding somewhere in the beginner area with a private instructor l hope ( for 4 of them should work out the same as group lessons ) our plan was two days adults meet the kids for lunch , two days we don’t meet them for lunch , two days they switch to skis and ski with us to experience the area properly. I wonder if being in Canazei or Campitello would make the days we want to meet the kids for lunch too restrictive for us in terms skiing - we probably won’t have time to go very far? Not sure how long everything takes as have never been to Dolomites
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Bella2015, My point being that Canazei isn't faff free. It's a one lift village and the accommodation can be a fair schlep from the lift. If there's a significant financial saving in staying in Campitello, over Canazei. I don't think that by opting for Campitello, you'd be upping the faff levels significantly. Does that make sense?
This is probably more of my opinion than you may welcome, but how about asking your kids whether they want to ski or snowboard and sticking with whichever they choose? I'm a Dad whom dragged 4 kids out to the area for years. 3 skiers and one snowboarder. When they'd chosen their preferred 'ride', that was it. Stick with it a go with it. Otherwise, in my opinion you could waste a heap of money producing some very average skiers and/or snowboarders when they swap about and never fully engage with one or the other. Call me old fashioned. Smile
latest report
@Mollerski, thank you. The kids can all ski already but want to give snowboarding a try. If they like it they can stick with it all week, if not we want to give him an option to swap to ski in the last couple of days so that the can enjoy the are beyond beginner friendly runs
snow report
Double post

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 5-10-24 11:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Bella2015 wrote:
@Mollerski, thank you. The kids can all ski already but want to give snowboarding a try. If they like it they can stick with it all week, if not we want to give him an option to swap to ski in the last couple of days so that the can enjoy the are beyond beginner friendly runs

Yep, I'm definitely a parent of the 'old school'. What our's wanted and what they got weren't always the same thing. We laugh about it now. Our youngest is 28. Enjoy. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@Mollerski, haha. Up to a certain point my parents made the decisions on how my holidays should be spent. I'm only a bit sad that winter sports weren't on the agenda (for all sorts of good reasons, which I understood).
latest report
@Bella2015 I would pick Sestriere over Canazei of the two you suggest, then add Pila into the mix if that could be organised
snow report
Sauze d'Oulx.
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
@Mollerski, haha. Up to a certain point my parents made the decisions on how my holidays should be spent. I'm only a bit sad that winter sports weren't on the agenda (for all sorts of good reasons, which I understood).

Heck! Only the aristocracy enjoyed family ski hols back in the late 70s. Very Happy I was lucky that my Old Man coughed up for a couple of school ski trips which blew me away tbf.
snow conditions
@toyah807, Sestriere and Pila don’t seem that close.. have been to Pila before, lovely resort but small, and probably a bit risky at Christmas
snow report
@Whitegold, yes, l guess this is an option alongside Sestriere but lower
snow conditions
Bella2015 wrote:
@toyah807, Sestriere and Pila don’t seem that close.. have been to Pila before, lovely resort but small, and probably a bit risky at Christmas

Yeah, they're completely opposite directions from Turin airport, so about 3hrs away from each other.

Pila is a pretty little snowbowl with some great runs, but would be too small for a week for mile hungry skiers.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 5-10-24 19:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Bella2015 wrote:

It's barely any lower (1,448m vs 1,450m), it's the next village along the valley floor, just a short gap between them.

The cablecar at Campitello actually whisks you up to one of the higher points (2,395m) on the Sella Ronda in less than 5 mins. The skiing is at altitude (mostly 1800-2400m) and there is no home run down to the village at Campitello, so you need to download at the end of the ski day.

To understand the faff, to do with that the cablecar can be queue prone at busy times, you need to read some relevant posts in this other recent thread...

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=170299

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 5-10-24 19:55; edited 4 times in total
snow report
Bella2015 wrote:
@Mollerski, thank you.. so you think the difference between the faff of Campitello vs Canazei is not that material? We don’t mind a bit of faff but as our kids will be learning snowboarding somewhere in the beginner area with a private instructor l hope ( for 4 of them should work out the same as group lessons ) our plan was two days adults meet the kids for lunch , two days we don’t meet them for lunch , two days they switch to skis and ski with us to experience the area properly. I wonder if being in Canazei or Campitello would make the days we want to meet the kids for lunch too restrictive for us in terms skiing - we probably won’t have time to go very far? Not sure how long everything takes as have never been to Dolomites

Wherever you go, if you're restricted to kids ski school timings, it's going to limit how far you can go.

I doubt you could complete the Sella Ronda before lunch, unless you got going early, knew it really well and skied it fast, but you could head over to explore Arabba from Canazei, or the Plan de Gralba side of Selva from Campitello in a morning. Plenty of nice runs to choose from.

https://skimaps.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/Sella-Ronda-ski-map.png

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 5-10-24 20:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@luigi, thank you that’s really informative.. if we go for it , guess we will do Sella Ronda on the days we don’t depend on kids ski school times
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bella2015 wrote:
@luigi, thank you that’s really informative.. if we go for it , guess we will do Sella Ronda on the days we don’t depend on kids ski school times

You probably need to do the Sella Ronda once, just to say you've done it, but sometimes it's best used to access areas off the main circuit that are a bit quieter.

There's the choice of which way to do it, clockwise or anti-. People have their preference, but not much in it really, as you travel through the same route and scenery, albeit in a different direction on different lifts and runs.
snow report
luigi wrote:

There's the choice of which way to do it, clockwise or anti-. People have their preference, but not much in it really, as you travel through the same route and scenery, albeit in a different direction on different lifts and runs.

We tend to prefer orange (clockwise) as green is very lift heavy from Corvara to Dantercepies (Selva). Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Mind you just had a thought ...how about looking further up the valley at Alba ...there is some quite nice accomadation up there and its faf free getting up to the Belevdere area and on the other side you have Ciampac and the run over to Possa ..............One note of warning on the Sella...make sure you get back before the last lift ...it is cheaper to stop overnight than to get a taxi back ....I know to my cost ..there are some quite difficult runs coming back from Selva anti clockwise ..especially the No 6 from the top of the gondola ( i have forgotten the name) later in the day ...it says red but but the fallen bodies and the moguls make it hard Twisted Evil
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
luigi wrote:

We tend to prefer orange (clockwise) as green is very lift heavy from Corvara to Dantercepies (Selva). Madeye-Smiley

And back in the day, before they installed the red & yellow gondolas, it was even more tedious when there were two super-long drags up the Gardena Pass from Colfosco Shocked

But, on the clockwise route, it is a lovely long uninterrupted run down from Dantercepies to Colfosco Cool
ski holidays
DaveD wrote:
Mind you just had a thought ...how about looking further up the valley at Alba ...there is some quite nice accomadation up there and its faf free getting up to the Belevdere area and on the other side you have Ciampac and the run over to Possa ..............One note of warning on the Sella...make sure you get back before the last lift ...it is cheaper to stop overnight than to get a taxi back ....I know to my cost ..there are some quite difficult runs coming back from Selva anti clockwise ..especially the No 6 from the top of the gondola ( i have forgotten the name) later in the day ...it says red but but the fallen bodies and the moguls make it hard Twisted Evil

Alba would be a good shout if you can find somewhere near the lifts, but not seen many package deals. Though some of the places listed as Canazei are halfway to Alba Laughing

Good word of warning! Thankfully I've never been caught in the wrong valley...yet! Shocked

There is an easier variant (6a??) from the top of Ciampinoi down towards Plan de Gralba. You go round to the right under the gondola ignoring the runs going back down to Selva and keep right following the shoulder of the mountain round. It joins the other piste further down, but avoids that steep mogulled first pitch.
snow report
Blue bit is the Ciampinoi restaurant : My Piste numers might be wrong !! (I think the right hand one might be 5)
ski holidays
@DaveD, thank you. Any recommendations for accommodation in Alba. Happy to DIY but so far haven’t found anything reasonable
snow conditions
@luigi, I never managed to find that....but I wish I had lol we only got caught 'cos we went to the war museum and had lunch there ...
ski holidays
luigi wrote:

And back in the day, before they installed the red & yellow gondolas, it was even more tedious when there were two super-long drags up the Gardena Pass from Colfosco Shocked

But, on the clockwise route, it is a lovely long uninterrupted run down from Dantercepies to Colfosco Cool

Back in the day the SR was a proper day out. It can be done in around 3hrs now. Remember the old T bar roughly where Boe is now? Razz It's hardly recognisable now from back then. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@Bella2015, found this https://www.inghams.co.uk/ski-holidays/ski-resorts/italy/the-dolomites-ski-area/val-di-fassa-canazei-campitello-alba-penia/hotel-villa-rosella-penia
snow report
luigi wrote:

Good word of warning! Thankfully I've never been caught in the wrong valley...yet! Shocked

Me neither, but have had some extremely close calls. There's a 4 man up on Passo Sella, it's the make or break lift. Make it and you're skiing all the way back to Selva, miss it and you're either trudging off piste or in a taxi. We've hit it with the covers over the card scanners a few times. As for the last short 2/3 man in Selva? We rarely make that one. Very Happy

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 7-10-24 10:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@DaveD, thank you!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy