Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen advice

Poster: A snowHead
I am a very lucky boy this year. 13-21 December, taking a school trip to St Anton, and for the first time not having to lead it Eh oh! . Then 26 Dec to 2nd Jan taking the boychild (16), who is now getting better than me, to Mayrhofen. Staying in Hippach.
We are both just about advanced skiers, but never been to Mayrhofen or Zillertal area.

My question is, assuming good conditions, where should we spend out 6 days skiing?

I have been advised to have a day in Kaltenbach. Any other must do's?

Many thanks.

Joe
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@boggyjo, there's a handy thread here:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=170407&highlight=

And here's last years thread

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=165727&highlight=

But I'll answer your questions here as well.

You're here for pretty much the busiest period of the year, so most areas will be busy as a result.

I'd say give each area a go, from Hippach you're 5 minutes on a bus to Horbergbahn which takes you up in to the Penken ski area, that's the easiest place for you to go to.

Zell am Ziller is worth a day at least, likewise Kaltenbach/Hochfügen. I'd also advise a day at Hintertux on the glacier too if the weather is good. Hintertux was particularly quiet on New Years day last year, we were the first person down some pistes at nearly 11am.

I'd probably skip Ahorn and Gerlosstein as they're small and your time here is limited.

For me i'd rather spend more time in Zell am Ziller and Kaltenbach, however that's more travelling for you from Hippach compared to skiing the Mayrhofen Penken area.

Recommend Unterbergalm restaurant in the Penken area, but remember to take cash.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zillertal Arena (Zell am Ziller).
I reckon you will enjoy returning.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
swskier wrote:
@boggyjo, there's a handy thread here:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=170407&highlight=

And here's last years thread

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=165727&highlight=

But I'll answer your questions here as well.

You're here for pretty much the busiest period of the year, so most areas will be busy as a result.

I'd say give each area a go, from Hippach you're 5 minutes on a bus to Horbergbahn which takes you up in to the Penken ski area, that's the easiest place for you to go to.

Zell am Ziller is worth a day at least, likewise Kaltenbach/Hochfügen. I'd also advise a day at Hintertux on the glacier too if the weather is good. Hintertux was particularly quiet on New Years day last year, we were the first person down some pistes at nearly 11am.

I'd probably skip Ahorn and Gerlosstein as they're small and your time here is limited.

For me i'd rather spend more time in Zell am Ziller and Kaltenbach, however that's more travelling for you from Hippach compared to skiing the Mayrhofen Penken area.

Recommend Unterbergalm restaurant in the Penken area, but remember to take cash.

Awesome. Thanks so much. Just what I was after.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@boggyjo, you're welcome, there's a few of us that are local that contribute to the local threads, so if you have any questions, then feel free to shout.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks again. Are there lockers to hire at the bottom of the Horbergbahn? If I persuade the boychild to have a couple of beers apres, might need to store local overnight. Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@boggyjo, yes lockers are available in the Horbergbahn lift station:

https://www.sport-fankhauser.at/en/skirental/directly-at-the-lower-or-upper-station/

And there's two apres bars there, Hiata Madl and Yeti bar. Apres there vs in Mayrhofen isn't as good, so you might want to consider coming down Penken on some days, and then jumping on a train/bus back to Hippach afterwards. Last train/bus leaves around 7.30/8pm. Otherwise you're looking at a taxi. It's only around 5 minutes by car between the two.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lots of interesting skiing, including off-piste in most of the areas. I agree with @boggyjo. I've been there twice in the last 3 years. As you may have noticed on the piste map the descent back to Hippach is a ski-route rather than a piste, but was fine the only time I tried it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Here’s my trip report from couple of years ago maybe something if interest in there and someone else linked their trip report in there too.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5074194&highlight=#5074194
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The early apres at Kaltenbach can be fun and then train back is super easy. 1 day here and around Fugen (unless it’s a pow day and maybe another day as off piste easy to access).

Agree on Zell. I would want to spend 2 days here and get over the pass to Gerlos and beyond. New lift back makes it quicker. Really good and maybe my favourite linked area.

Penken to Eggalm and back is always a delight and the Eggalm end will be quiet even in high season. Get out early to avoid queues at the Tux150 lift. A few pinch points on the way back but a great day of ski safari.

Hintertux day is worthwhile but make sure it’s a bluebird day or reasonable weather. Get the bus early.

Re apres Mayrhofen best and easy to get the bus from memory. Taxi prob 20 euros or something.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@luigi Thanks so much for the detailed response! Celsomaggiore is one of our mid-trip stops. We’ll be staying for 5 days in Rocca Pietore, within a 30-minute drive to Arabba/Marmolada and Cortina d’Ampezzo. After that, we’ll spend the next 5 days in Badia, with easy access to Alta Badia, Kronplatz, Val Gardena, and Cortina d’Ampezzo as well.

Susa, Celsomaggiore, and Sirmione are our planned mid-journey stops. We’re aiming to cross the Montgenèvre Pass between 9am and 10am, hoping for smooth conditions.

We chose Serre Chevalier as our first destination because of its long blue slopes and excellent ski schools. I
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ankitind, I think you've posted in the wrong thread! wink Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
He's lost track of all his different threads! Eh oh!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
swskier wrote:
@boggyjo, yes lockers are available in the Horbergbahn lift station:

https://www.sport-fankhauser.at/en/skirental/directly-at-the-lower-or-upper-station/

And there's two apres bars there, Hiata Madl and Yeti bar. Apres there vs in Mayrhofen isn't as good, so you might want to consider coming down Penken on some days, and then jumping on a train/bus back to Hippach afterwards. Last train/bus leaves around 7.30/8pm. Otherwise you're looking at a taxi. It's only around 5 minutes by car between the two.

Amazing. Yopu answered my next question before I asked it.

I may be getting a bit predicatable in my old age! Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's been a while since I've been to Mayrhofen but the restaurant at the top of the Horbergbahn used to have live music for apres ski time. Worth keeping an eye out.

And agree with everything Matrix said, so many good options to travel to from Mayrhofen.
latest report
ste_B wrote:
It's been a while since I've been to Mayrhofen but the restaurant at the top of the Horbergbahn used to have live music for apres ski time. Worth keeping an eye out.

And agree with everything Matrix said, so many good options to travel to from Mayrhofen.

It still does, it's a sort of standing outside place, before getting on the lift back down.

Hiata Mandl and Yeti bars are more your traditional austrian apres type music, where as at the top of Horbergbahn is more the sort of music you'd find in French apres.
snow report
Kaser mandl has long been my favourite mountain hut, good food, good beer, cheesy tunes and a nice easy run back.
I did notice a guitarist in the strass / sport again last year, can't imagine he was up to Brian Christopher levels but is there any live sing along entertainment in the valley any more?
snow conditions
ollski2.0 wrote:
Kaser mandl has long been my favourite mountain hut, good food, good beer, cheesy tunes and a nice easy run back.
I did notice a guitarist in the strass / sport again last year, can't imagine he was up to Brian Christopher levels but is there any live sing along entertainment in the valley any more?

Ah, yes! Brian Christopher….most excellent. He’s recently finished a UK pub tour. Now lives in Austria but often tours Holland.
snow report
Brian Cristopher (no H). Last time i saw him he was playing a circle of hotels in Kronplatz, maybe 2019?
latest report
Yeah stiffed by the strass when it went posh but I wonder where that sort of entertainment still exists. The guy with the guitar in the ice bar in saalbach was fun too
snow report
@ollski2.0, just looked at the Scotland Yard facebook page, they advertised a Piano/Singer guy back in January for live music, but no other posts about live music last season.
snow conditions
@swskier, he was there at Scotland Yard two years ago when I was last in Mayrhofen. He was okay, did some good requests when we started interacting with him and had a few beers!
snow report
@ollski2.0, “ The guy with the guitar in the ice bar in saalbach was fun too”

I’ve never heard of the “ice bar” in Saalbach (and I live there). But the guy you may be referring to is geordie entertainer, “Spacey” (that’s David, not Kevin).
latest report

Off piste bar?
snow report
@ollski2.0, ah, that’s Martin, who owns the Off-Piste Bar.
snow report
I agree with the above. Hinterlux on the glacier is not to be missed if weather is clear and the timed run down Ahorn at the end of the day is fun, it says it is black but really only a red run. Not to be missed if you can get there is the trout restaurant if you like fish - 21 ways to eat a trout. Forellen-Stuberl.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy