Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter tyres on steel rims, & snow chains - Vauxhall/other 5x115 PCD vehicles

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've changed vehicle after 112000 miles, and of course the new vehicle has different sizes...

This set fully meets the requirements for winter driving in Germany, Austria and France.

Tyres - Nankang Winter Activa SV-3 215/60 R16 99H XL on steel rims, bought November 2022 and used for about 6 months in total including 2 weeks in Austria for maybe 5000 miles of driving including through UK winters in the fens. Fitted with TPMS sensor valves, and I can throw in a £20 programming tool for Vauxhall cars if you want to swap them over yourself. Lots of tread left, and in good condition, and were replacements for a previous set of SV-2 which did 25000 miles over 5 years. Stored in the dark in a dry garage. Added gravel in the tread for contrast wink These were fitted on a Vauxhall Zafira Tourer, 5 bolts as 5x115 PCD and with a central bore of 70.2 mm - fits just about any Vauxhall/Opel car model, but few other manufacturers, and as always please check that yours is compatible. Ideally I'd be looking for at least £150 for these but I do need to get them shifted. A new set now would be £530 - https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cw/bundle?vehicle_ids=33947971263575155&wheelId=SKWi-9327--R-374774&wheelIdWithTpms=SKWi-9327--R-374774%3aST-230&season=wi&rimType=steel

Marked with the 3 peaks & snowflake of a true winter tyre designed for snow, and haven't let me down. Note that these tyres are directional - they've been swapped front/back on the same side between seasons, but if you put them on backwards their performance will suffer considerably.

Chains - Goodyear 77912 9mm chains in plastic box ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FSDNZ8I?tag=amz07b-21 ), 110 size, bought new in 2017 and fitted twice, once in my drive to check them, and the other time for 400m of uphill driving in Austria in a blizzard when the road to our apartment was compacted ice. £5 plus postage or free with the tyres. Despite the current image from Amazon showing that they do not fit the wheels above, they certainly do and they were advertised as such when bought. See https://www.amazon.com.be/-/en/Goodyear-77912-Snow-Chains-Size/dp/B00FSDNZ8I?th=1&language=en_GB&tag=amz07b-21 for a statement to that effect

Collection from Cambridgeshire, or I could be persuaded to deliver up to about 50 miles for the cost of fuel and a beer or two.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy