Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best ski resorts in France for a large mixed-level group

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all,

It may sound crazy, but I'm already planning my 25/26 season ski trip. That's because next December, I'll be celebrating my 30th birthday, and since I'm from Brazil, to convince as many people as possible, it needs to be affordable and give them plenty of time to prepare and schedule in advance.

The list of people consists mainly of beginners/intermediates, plus myself and another friend who are more advanced. I'll invite 20/25 people, but I'm expecting around 14 to actually go. Here's what we're looking for in a resort:

- Ski in/out: Large group, lots of beginners, so ease is key.
- Decent amount of beginner terrain: It would suck if the beginners, who will probably stick to greens most of the trip and maybe tackle a few blues by the end, only had access to one lift and a couple of pistes.
- Good amount of ungroomed terrain: Preferably avalanche-controlled terrain (naturide/ungroomed pistes), but it can also be off-piste that feels safe (close to pistes/lifts). I'm probably the only one in the group interested in this, but hey, it's my birthday, and this is the type of terrain I love skiing.
- Best snow possible: My birthday is in December, but I'm willing to push the trip to mid-January to avoid high prices and poor snow conditions, where most of the terrain might not even be open.
- Good après bar on the mountain: Doesn't have to be many, just one good spot will do.
- Things to do besides skiing: Beginners might get tired and want to relax in a pool or do something similar.
- Preferably a big resort: Love exploring the mountains.

At first, I considered booking a big chalet, but it’s hard to predict group size. Now I’m leaning toward a Club Med (expensive but might fit everyone's budget) for ease: ski school, all-inclusive, ski in/out, heated pool, and no need to adjust accommodations for late joiners.

My top choices right now are:

Tignes:
- Lots of naturide pistes and tons of terrain.
- High altitude, so snow shouldn’t be a problem in January.
- La Folie Douce.
- Main concern: Might not be great for beginners, as the Club Med is in Val Claret, meaning they'd mainly ride Bollin and Col de la Fresse, where they'd have to come back by lift from Toviere and take a bus from Le Lac until able to ski the blues Prariond or Henri.

Alpe d'Huez:
- Good amount of greens across different lifts.
- High altitude, so snow shouldn’t be an issue in January.
- La Folie Douce.
- Le Tunnel: Seems fun to ride at least once.
- Main concern: No naturide terrain? Haven't found much info on ungroomed pistes there.

Any thoughts or other resort suggestions (Alps, not just France)?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Val Thorens & 3 Valleys:
- Lots of naturide pistes and tons of terrain
- High altitude, so snow shouldn't be a problem in January
- La Folie Douce
- Super for beginners, with many green/blue pistes next to the ski-in-ski-out apartments.
- Super easy connection to area Les Menuires with many more green ski options
- Offers a huge arena 3V with
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If there's lots of beginners yet you still want a large ski area for the others I reckon I'd be inclined to look at La Plagne. It's pretty blue heavy so should be alright for beginners and early intermediates, but its also a pretty huge ski area both locally and over in Les Arcs for inters and above. Not sure if it ticks the box of decent on-slope apres bar, mind.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd say La Plagne too, mainly because there's somewhere the beginners can head for the trees if the weather closes in. I did in January VT for my second week skiing and it was bloody miserable when the clouds closed in. LP was my first ever trip and we had great fun racking up the miles and exploring different areas.

Tignes I wouldn't say is ideal for beginners, especially if you want them to join at Folie...although same kind of applies in VT, the carnage of that run is clear to see on a daily basis

Downside is that I'm not sure La Plagne has much in the way of party apres on the slopes...but if you're a big enough group you can create that anyway.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@satibr, don't forget that, for the most part, once you're off the piste, in a French resort, you're out of avalanche-controlled territory. But yes, definitely postpone your trip to mid-January. Just make sure your beginners sign up with a good ski school, and they'll have a ball.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@satibr,
When in December?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@satibr, "it needs to be affordable" seems to be at odds with "I’m leaning toward a Club Med (expensive but might fit everyone's budget)"

Hiring a large self catered chalet could be great fun for 14 if they are the sort of people that are happy to muck in - cooking together, sharing living spaces, etc.

I'm guessing coming from Brazil this will be DIY and with flights, transfers, ski school, ski hire to arrange it will require to be fairly uncompromising with your group - as in this is what we are doing, I need your money on x date, etc. Unless of course you go down the expensive (but could be worth it) Club Med route.

Keep it simple and don't try to accommodate everyone's whims.

Mid-January is ideal from a cost and busyness point of view but...

As mentioned the weather can be bleak. If you stay high and it closes in you may be holed up or it may not be fun to be out. So you may want to consider stations low down that still have access to the main area - thinking La Tania, Les Coches, Vallandry, Oz-en-Oisan.

Also because it's a quiet time the apres/nightlife will be quieter but as mentioned if you are a large group you can make your own fun.

If you are used to the in bounds off piste of North America then I think you would be best to give yourself a birthday treat and go out with a guided group. As mentioned it's different in Europe.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In general if you're taking beginners, especially mainly beginners you really need to take the "beginners first/experienced can suck it up" approach. If you're the person dragging friends skiing for the first time you really want them to have a good time, ideally so you create more skiing friends to go away with in future years but at worst the person who gave them a great experience - not the guy who made then go on that holiday that cost and arm and a leg and was just cold, painful, and miserable!

That said Alpe d'Huez would be ideal as it's a beginner's paradise. If you're talking mainly adults who want to eat/drink out then probably stay in Ad'H itself but if there are lots of little children then look at Oz en Oaisans, part of the same ski area but much smaller and dead quiet in the evening - which if you're going to be eating/drinking in your chalet because the children are in bed isn't an issue and means you can let them run a little more wild without worrying about losing them in the crowds while they are still awake.

Skiing wise a good skier, skiing solo can ski everything in 1 day - but that doesn't mean you can't make your own fun, especially if there are a few of you. I did Ad'H twice and both time the Tunnel was closed. And "The longest black run in the world" is barely a black at it's peak and a green for 75% of its length. There's a black off one of the gondola mid stations, Balcons I think that was unpiested and just the right number of mogals to be fun before becoming tiresome - and I had it to myself every time I did it to make it even better.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@matejp
Yeah, that could also be a good option.

@Dav and @SnoodyMcFlude
But is La Plagne/Paradiski good for real beginners? The ones that might only want to ski greens? From what I've seen on the trail map, lots of blues, but not that many greens.

@Origen
Yeah, I'm aware, wouldn't go 20m far from the pistes if avalanche risk is moderate and wouldn't go off piste if it's high.

@Kenzie
21st

@Layne
What I meant is that if booked well in advance, Club Med often offers great discounts, making it more affordable (though by no means cheap).
I hadn’t considered the possibility of bad weather at higher altitudes. Choosing a lower elevation resort could be a good option that I hadn’t thought about before.

@Mjit
Most of the group has skied before, but only for a few days, and some are complete beginners. There are no kids, everyone is between 25 and 32 years old.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@satibr, in a lot of French resorts there are very few runs designated green - and those that are often turn out to be farm or forestry access tracks that are no fun for beginners because they are narrow. So when you look at piste maps, you will mostly see blue runs.

In La Plagne for example there are a lot of "cruising blues" which are very flattering to relative beginners.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There’s a lot of love for France here but can I put in a word for Austria and Italy too.
Zell am See is a proper town with day trips for the non skiing days/ access to the Super ski area including Saalbach for those wanting a lot of skiing. Whilst a lot of accommodation isn’t ski in / out, there’s a lot in just a few metres of the lifts.
Having been converted to a Dolomites lover by @admin that’s a beautiful area and Venice is day trip-able if non-skiers want something different. The food is AMAZING and the views are jaw dropping.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
j b wrote:
@satibr, in a lot of French resorts there are very few runs designated green - and those that are often turn out to be farm or forestry access tracks that are no fun for beginners because they are narrow. So when you look at piste maps, you will mostly see blue runs.

In La Plagne for example there are a lot of "cruising blues" which are very flattering to relative beginners.

That makes sense. To be honest, the resort I’ve wanted to visit the most is Tignes, and I’ve been trying to plan a trip there for years. But maybe when people say Tignes isn't ideal for beginners, they mean the green and blue runs might be more challenging than usual. And the opposite might be true for La Plagne. Is it the same for Les Arcs or La Plagne is better for that?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
+1 la plagne. Stay in belle plagne for ski in ski out or close to it. Huge ski area. Taken my little kids. Plenty of ski school options. Few apres options too. (La Bergerie?)

Lucky you. Enjoy! Ps. It’s not the same as North America etc re off the piste, can be quite dangerous . Be wary of that!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ElsieP wrote:
There’s a lot of love for France here but can I put in a word for Austria and Italy too.
Zell am See is a proper town with day trips for the non skiing days/ access to the Super ski area including Saalbach for those wanting a lot of skiing. Whilst a lot of accommodation isn’t ski in / out, there’s a lot in just a few metres of the lifts.
Having been converted to a Dolomites lover by @admin that’s a beautiful area and Venice is day trip-able if non-skiers want something different. The food is AMAZING and the views are jaw dropping.

I went to Zillertal this year and absolutely loved it. I took two friends with me, and one of them had only skied for a day before. From that experience, I felt that Austria can be a bit more challenging for beginners compared to France. It was tough to find easy slopes for him, especially in Hochzillertal, where we were based. Another issue we faced was having to take the bus to visit other resorts.

For this trip, I’d prefer easier terrain and the convenience of not needing to take a bus. I’m also leaning towards a more straightforward plan like Club Med, where everything is included—food, drinks, and ski school. I’m not sure if Austria offers something similar.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@satibr, it'll always be tough for someone who doesn't know a resort like the back of their hand to find "easy slopes" for a one day beginner to ski. That's why I suggested ski school! A group of them together with an instructor could have a lot of fun and feel really pleased with their progress.
snow report
@satibr, I began skiing with a week in La Plagne, they are blues but lots of gentle blues. That's why I think it appeals, you can be new to skiing but still see a lot of a mountain. Although as Origen says, knowing which ones are easy might be trickier.

@ElsieP, the OP asked for a resort in France, hence the French resort suggestions.
snow report
My first thought reading your post was AdH as it ticks the boxes for everyone else in terms of skiing level etc. It does have unpisted runs and off piste, of course, and you're within striking distance of La Grave for a bigger challenge. Treat yourself to an instructor / guide as it's your birthday?

If Tignes is where you want to go perhaps consider Val d'Isere as a base -- the beginners area is up the mountain and has a small network of nice blues to progress to, and it's of course easy to ski over to Tignes.
snow conditions
@satibr,
21st December would mean being too late for the cheaper pre-Christmas weeks, so look at January after New Years week.
Have you looked into UK tour operator chalet-hotels?
Tignes would tick your boxes, as long as your beginners & less experienced skiers use instructors, who will find the right slopes for their abilities. Plenty of non-ski activities, too.
Tignes apres-ski bars are at village level. The Folie is technically in the Val d'Isere part of the ski area, so you either have to be on the last lifts back to Tignes (4.30 at that time of year), or get a bus/taxi back from VdI.
If you would consider early December, Snowheads run a pre-season bash in Tignes, followed by a post pre-season bash.
ski holidays
Quote:

Ski in/out: Large group, lots of beginners, so ease is key.

You also need to consider ski school location, assuming the beginners will be taking lessons. No point being slopeside somewhere that's a long walk/bus away from where their lessons start.

Quote:

Good amount of ungroomed terrain: Preferably avalanche-controlled terrain

Europe is pretty poor for this in comparison to n America if that's what you have in mind. Naturide tends to just be big bumps. If you really want to get off piste you probably need to consider a guided day.

But honestly swapping Brazil nightlife for folie douce and going skiing with a big group of beginner friends sounds like an absolute nightmare, so good luck.
snow report
Alpe d'Huez is great for beginners and great for off piste too, often untracked with an excellent sliding scale of adventure/risk - from easy access routes to harder climbs and descents. Plenty of excellent guides available in January. There used to be a nice little yellow Vamos book about off piste routes in la Grave, Alpe d'Huez and Les Deux Alpes
ski holidays
Quote:

Good amount of ungroomed terrain: Preferably avalanche-controlled terrain

In Les Arcs and I suspect most of France the majority black and a few red pistes are left ungroomed. They develop impressive moguls.

I agree with @boarder2020, if you really want to go off piste then either enroll in an off piste class, join an off piste group, the bureau des guides or skischools often run them, or hire a guide yourself. TO tease yourself about the potential get hold of the Les clés de .... books by Didier Givois.
snow report
Thank you all for your input! If we go with the Club Med plan (or something similar), ski school will be available for the entire group for all six days of the week, starting directly from the hotel. This means they won’t be skiing on their own or taking unnecessary risks until they feel confident enough to do so. My thoughts so far:

Alpe d'Huez, La Plagne, and Les Arcs: Solid options
Tignes: Manageable if the group sticks with ski school (Val d'Isère might be a better fit within the same area)
Treat myself by hiring a guide for some off-piste
La Grave could be an incredible experience

@Kenzie, I haven’t really looked into the specifics yet, just evaluating resorts for now. Could you tell me more about this bash event?

boarder2020 wrote:
But honestly swapping Brazil nightlife for folie douce and going skiing with a big group of beginner friends sounds like an absolute nightmare, so good luck

The trip isn’t about partying at all. Like you said, I can enjoy the nightlife back home in Brazil. After après-ski, just hanging out and having drinks with the group at the hotel is more than enough. The reason I’m interested in a mountain après bar is for the experience, it’s about the unique vibe of partying on a mountain. We don’t even have snow here, so it’s one of those “wow” moments that I know my friends from Brazil will really appreciate.
snow report
satibr wrote:
La Grave could be an incredible experience

I wouldn't be thinking about that - even if it fitted with the logistics of your trip, which I don't believe it does. If you are with a guide on the 3 you mentioned you will have a great experience.

satibr wrote:
The reason I’m interested in a mountain après bar is for the experience, it’s about the unique vibe of partying on a mountain.

You probably need a Folie or to go to Austria to get the experience I think you are after, although there are bars that have a decent vibe for a late afternoon stop or at the bottom of the slopes. I am not sure I would get too hung up on it though.
snow conditions
satibr wrote:
But maybe when people say Tignes isn't ideal for beginners, they mean the green and blue runs might be more challenging than usual.

There certainly are some beginner green and blue runs, most notably the "green triangle" above Val d'Isere. If you stay in Tignes Val Claret you can (from memory) ski there and back on blue runs. And there also of course the local nursery runs.

However you would be paying a lot for an area ski pass you wouldn't make full use of - what makes Tignes-Val d'Isere special is the huge area for skiing including two glaciers and some famous tough runs.
ski holidays
Quote:

The reason I’m interested in a mountain après bar is for the experience, it’s about the unique vibe of partying on a mountain.

Never been in it, but went past it a few times and fwir folie in tignes is rather low. I mean it is on the mountain but your in a bit of a dip. It's not up high with great views over the mountains if that's what you are after.
snow report
satibr wrote:
The trip isn’t about partying at all. Like you said, I can enjoy the nightlife back home in Brazil. After après-ski, just hanging out and having drinks with the group at the hotel is more than enough. The reason I’m interested in a mountain après bar is for the experience, it’s about the unique vibe of partying on a mountain. We don’t even have snow here, so it’s one of those “wow” moments that I know my friends from Brazil will really appreciate.

Probably the best question here is - What sort of music do you like/do you think and want for your apres ski?

Both France and Austria offer 'on the mountain' or quite often in Austria touching the snow at the bottom of the home run but the music tends to be very different. France tends to be electronic dance music while Austria is a lot more silly sing-along/upper body dance-along to-in-ski-boots. Yes, you can usually find each type in each country but that's what's easiest to find in each. Personally sitting outside a Folli getting cold while being deafened by dance music and trying to show how cool I am (not)/how much money I have is my idea of hell and I'd much rather ski down, pop the skis outside an Austrian apres bar and be singing (shouting tunelessly) "Hey, wie wollen die eisbären sehen. Oh-oh-oh-oh-ho!" crowded in a warm bar with 100 people doing the same.
latest report
@satibr,

I recommend that you check out ClubMed Peissey-Vallandry. It's just next to the Vanoise Express, so gives the good skiers instant access to both Les Arcs and La Plagne. Off piste is covered with the ski school for Level 3 ie if you are good enough and there is the snow!

The beginners get taken up to the middle station as soon as they can use the chair lift. Return can be via chairlift or skiing depending on how far they have progressed.

PS Quite a few Brazillians go with ClubMed as everything is included
PPS Don't be tempted to take beginners to Tignes
snow conditions
@satibr,
The snowEvents forum should tell you all you need to know about the Snowheads bashes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1. Courchevel 1850
2. Davos
3. Less Arcs 1600 (Bourg St Maurice)
ski holidays
You're getting lots of good suggestions here from others, so all I'll add is NOT LaGrave!

NOT the place for beginners! Or for anyone who wants/needs a guide to ski off-piste at more regular resorts either.
latest report
@satibr, the best suggestion here was the first one from @matejp, Val Thorens. By far the widest variety of terrain for all levels, Club Med & Folie Douce and easily accessible off piste depending on snow depth. You can argue that VT can be bleak if the weather closes in early season and that's completely true but it ticks all the other boxes handsomely. The weather is always a risk you take with early season skiing but at least with VT the risk won't be grass instead of snow, it'll be lifts closed due to too much snow and/or wind.

Don't put off piste too high on your "must have" list. It's early season and you're pushing your luck for easily accessible stuff. It'll look ok from the lift but much of the French Alps is on top of granite and requires a significant snow depth to be skiable without trashing your skis. If it's really important to you, hire a guide to take you to the bits you can't see from a lift.
snow conditions
Mjit wrote:
France tends to be electronic dance music

I'd love to know where in France you've skied to come to this conclusion!

I've spent 20 odd years in the 3Vs (and a fair few weeks in the other mega resorts) and have pretty much never heard anything other than classic and modern rock anthems from apres bands. The odd bluesy, souly, funky set but electronica is for the nightclubs, not apres.

And the best apres band I've ever seen, the only apres band I've ever made the effort to travel to see, was... Brazilian!

For the OP, the lead singer from that band is now a 3V resident and still on the circuit with or without a backing band.
ski holidays
Quote:

but much of the French Alps is on top of granite

Not quite true, most of the French Alps are on gneiss and other metamorphic rocks, like most of the alps. The big granite areas are around Gran Paradiso and to the west of Marmolada. The Grosssglockner area of Austria is also largely granite.

Thinking back to the OPs original thoughts. Though I hate the ugly monstrosity, the Club Med in Arc 1600 may suit. An apre ski session with dancing to terrible loud music and dancing on tables at the Arpette followed by a gentle blue piste back to the Club Med may suit.
snow report
Another vote for Val Thorens from me. It’s the best ski area in the world, and it’s good for beginners too. 360 bar has an easy green down from it, which is perfect for drunk beginners. Folie has a blue down, which is more of a challenge when covered in drunk riders. There are many bars and restaurants in town, and a sports centre for days off the mountain.

In Tignes Coco Ricos is better than Folie anyway, but as others have said beginner runs are limited in Tignes, and harder to access.
snow conditions
I would also say that Club Med is overpriced and value for money is far better if you book self catering apartments. However, I understand that the ease of booking may be worth it for you. UCPA is another good option.
ski holidays
Well done on the geology, @johnE. I would also point out that plenty of French ski slopes are on pasture. wink But people do love their generalisations......
snow report
To be fair @Je suis un Skieur's allegedly inaccurate guess at the geology was specifically in relation to Val Thorens, which is certainly a resort where there are plenty of lumps of rock around suggesting there are probably more under the snow.

And I think - from the flora in summer - that there are limestone regions as well in the Alps.
snow conditions
I actually meant to write slate rather than granite but had had too much beer and couldn't be bothered to edit it. Look at the time of the post.. Slate might be wrong too, of course. NehNeh

But putting aside the pedantry of which particular type of metamorphic rock it is, have you been to VT in summer? Most of the so called off piste areas look like this (with credit to Skifan):

Glacier du Péclet. by -Skifan-
snow conditions
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
Mjit wrote:
France tends to be electronic dance music

I'd love to know where in France you've skied to come to this conclusion!

Well most French resorts I've been to don't have any "apres ski" (just because a bar is open and selling beer at the end of the ski day does not make it an "apres ski bar" so having a beer there is not "apres ski"). Of those that do:
Tremplin in Morzine - dance music.
Happy Hours in Adrent - dance music.
Folie in Avoriaz - dance music.
Folie in Alpe d'Huez - dance music.
Folie in Val d'Isere - dance music.
Les Arc 1950/Belle Plagne/Tignes Le Lac - nothing I'd call "apres ski"

I'd agree that "bars" in Franch ski resorts are more likely to play mainstream rock as a default but that "apres le dîner" than "apres ski".
ski holidays
willsonski wrote:
Another vote for Val Thorens from me. It’s the best ski area in the world,

No, it's not.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy