Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for reviews of 'Ski Simulator' gym machines

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone owned, owns at the moment, has tested, tried etc one of the indoor ski 'simulator' gym type machines?

Like Skier's Edge or similar.

I intend to purchase one to supplement my existing gym and fitness equipment.

I'd like to know what is the best machine for my own personal needs.
If you've owned, own at the moment, have tested, tried etc one of the indoor ski 'simulator' gym type machines personally, please reply.

Just in case you want to respond and say: "why not just use weights or...?"
This is a list of my current equipment and training activities:
1. Mountain bike - I live in a hilly area of Aberdeenshire
2. Indoor Zwift smart bike trainer setup. (it's like a very clever turbo trainer for those that don't know)
2. 'fast' hillwalking with weighted backpack etc. (local training walk route is 2.5km with total ascent of 260m)
3. Free weights with squat rack, curling bench etc etc. (I am lucky enough to have a lot of space in my house)
4. 'Body Pump' DVDs for general body conditioning.
5. Regular dry slope sessions (it's expensive and only a small slope so only good for minor technique tuning)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you tried Steep on the playstation?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Deveron53, It looks as if you have sufficient equipment for strength and endurance training but lack balance equpment. My skiing coach had us doing exercises on wobble boards and various hopping and jumping execises concentrating on basic agility and adapdability while skiing. This was aimed principally at the racers who need fast reactions and precise balanced movements to win races and avoid injury but IMHO good for all skiing.

Since you specify that you want somethig specifically targetted at skiers have a look at this article.

https://www.skimag.com/performance/fitness/balance-training-for-skiers/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@johnE, you risk this person starting a third, even more obsessional thread by not paying sufficient attention to his question. He refers to machines; there are no machines mentioned in your linked article.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hurtle, good point. Is a wobble board a machine or merely equipment?

I've used a skiers edge machine and a wobble board and in terms of improving skiing technique the wobble board wins hands down (well not "hands down" as the improved balance reduces actual puting your hands down on the snow) , but it doesn't look sexy or have many moving parts.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
On your other thread you say you want a machine for stamina. I honestly can't see how it would add to your existing stamina, if you are regularly doing the activities you list.

I have tried a ski simulator...hated it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, I seem to have upset the 'Gods' of snowHeads. How ever will I live it down. Oh no Sad

Anyway.

I managed to get some useful info from the replies.
I have looked at the Sweetspot Ski Trainer (a ski balance device that you use while wearing your ski boots).
I'll probably get one, along with a balance trainer that is used without boots for general conditioning.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx wrote:
On your other thread you say you want a machine for stamina. I honestly can't see how it would add to your existing stamina, if you are regularly doing the activities you list.

I have tried a ski simulator...hated it.

I was wondering if I could get 'more specific' stamina by using the actual muscles used in skiing in a similar way that you use them in real skiing.
I use Zwift (a computerised turbo trainer) to enable me to train for long periods. It is a lot more interesting than standard turbo training and there is racing, which distracts my pain receptors to allow for greater efforts.
I was wondering if I could do the same with skiing. i.e a 'turbo trainer' for skiing.

Can you please expand on why you didn't like the ski simulator?
What model was it?
How long did you try it for?
Did you own it, try it at a show or...?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Deveron53, nah, that looks like bollox. Your money though.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Deveron53, it was at a gym, I can't remember the model. It didn't feel anything like skiing...or probably my skiing. I found it tedious. (I know what Zwift is)

What do ski racers train on?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@holidayloverxx, “ What do ski racers train on?”

Snow.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, and all the kit he's already got
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@holidayloverxx, titter
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Deveron53, it does appear you like gadgets. Toofy Grin

Have you looked into roller skis?

This past weekend while cycling (on a closed road just outside of Ottawa, Canada), I saw quite a few individuals on roller skis going up and down the (mild) hills. While the gizmo was mostly targeting cross country skiing, the 2 kind of skiing does share a fair bits of similar movement. So it could help in strengthening ski specific muscles and stamina.

No doubt will improve balance too.

Don’t expect it reproduce the feeling of actual skiing. Nothing will except skiing on snow. But if your objective is working the ski specific muscles, I think roller ski would come relatively close. Plus, you get to use it outside, so less issue with boredom.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have a Skier's Edge. I've had it for quite a while, and have done a couple of the offered upgrades. Happy to answer any questions you may have.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy