Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer in the mountains?

What kind of holiday do you prefer in the summertime?
I can’t afford a summer holiday, or don't have any left, after all the skiing
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
lazy seaside holiday with plenty of good food and wine
15%
 15%  [ 6 ]
lazy break away from the crowds in the countryside
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
‘activity’ break (sports, etc), country/mountains
21%
 21%  [ 8 ]
‘activity’ break (sports, etc), seaside
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
‘cultural’ holiday, discovering new regions/countries
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
other (big city break, cruise etc)
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
staying at home and taking it easy, doing a spot of DIY
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
camping
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Voted : 1
Total Votes : 38

Poster: A snowHead
Forward-thinking resorts are beginning to heed advice to extend their activities and boost summer season occupancy, as warnings about a shortening winter ski season increase.

What would attract snowHeads to the mountain resorts in the summertime, foregoing the seaside, the cruise....?? How many would consider substituting mountain walks, cycling, golf, tennis or the more 'extreme' summer luge, bungee jumping, glacier skiing, etc for baking on the beach?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You missed "I live where I'd take my holidays" Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Damn, you got in too quick, a couple of options refused to regiser for some reason, and now I can't change the poll! Moderator?

They were: Other ('big city' breaks, cruise etc).

PS ise - yes I forgot that one!)

[Reedit - now it's there.....]

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 24-06-04 8:45; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We always do a "2 weeks crashed out on the beach somewhere hot" holiday, but last week we spent a few days in France in the Southern Alps, which made a very pleasant change. Ski resorts in the summer make me sad, they just look so deserted
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski Bunny, Some are a hive of activity though these days, such as 2 Alpes, Les Arcs. At 2 Alpes for several summers the kids had a fantastic time trying every sport and activity imaginable (good excuse for dads to do things they should have grown out of too.... Wink )
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And Mt Shasta was not yet in our Resorts Database. But with only 3 chairs and 1 drag it's hardly a serious omission. I'll add it after this post but the official site is only showing summer activities now.
On topic, I've got plenty of sun, sea and sand year round so I'd be happy to try the mountains in summer. But apart from a visit to Switzerland as a kid, I've never actually done it. Non-skiing holidays (usually not in high summer, I'm not tied to school holidays any more) have included Cyprus (several times - it's a shortish flight, good food and wine, Telegraph crossword, rented mountain bike, swimming), Malaysia, Perth (W. Australia) and Goa (classic 5* beach holiday).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can't vote for more than one. Just got back from a week in Namibia and in September I'll be in Evian with the intention of going walking a lot (with the odd boat trip thrown in).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PG, we drove up to Les Orres & it was like a ghost town. 1 solitary mountain biker was about it. There were a few more bodies around in Briancon, but Chantemerle were pretty dead too. It seems a shame, they have the facilites so why not make the most of it? Good to hear some places are catching on
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PG, Plan Peisey (and to a lesser extent Vallandry) are pretty dead in the summer. Not many of us open our businesses from May to December, apart from a few who stay open for construction workers - there's supposed to be something like 300 workers in Peisey-Vallandry building apartments, chalets etc this summer. Hardly a sustainable tourist resource though!

Like you say, Les Arcs has much more going on - much more french, than international clientele though I would say. Not sure if the Vanoise Express will bring more life to P-V in the summer or not really...

Would be nice to see more going on, but a lot of people seem to genuinely prefer the beach for a summer holiday, and those that prefer the mountains maybe do so precisely because its all a bit more low-key than during the ski season.

I would love to open the bar in the summer, but its simply not financially worth the hassle. As it is, I'm in London for a few months earing some money and doing some promotion for the accommodation stuff. Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
flying_squirrel, it's worth it if you can find somewhere out of town on the trail routes - or maybe in Italy. The bars and refuges around Courmayeur do a roaring trade in summer...the ones outside the town, that is.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
At a guess wouldn't places with many S/C apartments tend to have more occupancy during the summer from the owners or cheap sublets ? As opposed to resorts mainly hotel / chalet based. Which means the newer purpose-built resorts not only have more summer facilities to offer (golf, tennis, swimming, etc etc) but also more clients to pay for the upkeep. So the nice little places are going to find it hard to compete year round. As long as it doesn't bankrupt them, at least they'll stay nice little, unspoiled places waiting for next winter.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think it's as much to do with places that had already established summer seasons. Walking and climbing places for example.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In our village, most people take May off, they're usually exhausted as they've all got 2 or 3 jobs during the season. The village only comes alive in July and August when theres lots of traffic on the Petite St Bernard pass. Last year was the busiest ever in summer mainly because it was so hot everywhere else in France, so there might be a few more visitors this year now that can see what we offer. One of my neighbours opens his restaurant for the workers every day at lunchtime but I think he does it more as a service than for the reward. This year my wife is running painting and drawing holidays in the chalet, so it'll be interesting to see how they work out.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Going back to Chantmerle for our summer break, as we want to buy an apartment, and it seemed a good enough reason to visit. We'll get to see it in Summer now. Taking the mountain bikes too.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Agree a break in May is much needed!
snow report
You didnt have an option for " having mad one near a beach" so I had to settle for "other"
Puzzled
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, That definitely falls under option 2, cos I bet you don't emerge before lunchtime the next day! Wink
snow report
No it doesnt! Due to my friends being pale scots they think that they have to have atleast 7 straight hours of exposure to the sun so in Zante we had to get up at 10!! would you believe it! and we had to go out for dinner at 8 then clubbing til 5/6!

One day I refused and got up at 11:30 after they tipped water on my head (theyre just jealous of my ability to tan rather than go ice white- red- white)

Not really a lazy hol PG, however I will be lazing about in August when we go to the villa

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 24-06-04 12:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

Not really a lazy hol PG, however I will be lazing about in August when we go to the Villa

Reading got them in a pre-season friendly, then?
latest report
skanky, no need to be sarky! Id rather skin my toes that go to watch that team of fairies (Villa not Reading) - blame my ex! and my hatred of the midlands
ski holidays
I wasn't being sarky! Didn't realise I'd hit a nerve Toofy Grin Anyway, it was your fault for giving "Villa" a capital letter. NehNeh

[Edit: No point changing it now, it's quoted in my initial response Razz ]

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 24-06-04 12:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Perhaps Nadenoodlee meant THE Villa, as in the Sky programme? Not much time to be lazy there, they all seem to spend their time being sick, and doing other things I can't mention before the watershed...

(Not that I ever watch it, of course....)
snow report
PG wrote:
Perhaps Nadenoodlee meant THE Villa, as in the Sky programme? Not much time to be lazy there, they all seem to spend their time being sick, and doing other things I can't mention before the watershed...

(Not that I ever watch it, of course....)

Or maybe Ricky Villa?
snow conditions
No I used a capital V because everyone in my family refers to it as a place!
Ive changed it now so as not to disturb you skanky,

and PG, ewww no!
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, disturbed?

Anyway, last time I was at Villa Park, it wasn't very lazy. Crammed in, hot and watching a wine waiter do a very bad impersonation of goalkeeper.
snow report
Does ‘activity’ break (sports, etc), seaside include flotilla sailing for 2 weeks round the coast of Turkey? That was the closest, so got my vote.
snow conditions
When I was at school we had a summer trip to the Alps. It took 2 days on a coach to reach Les Carroz via London and Paris. (Starting in bushmills N.I.)

We had a fantastic time when we got there. Went up the cable car in Chamonix, went to Lake Geneva and Annecy among other places. But as I remember the village we stayed in was totally deserted.
latest report
Quote:

You missed "I live where I'd take my holidays"

I'm also lucky enough to live where I'd prefer to take my summer holidays, only because we loved it here so much we upped sticks from the UK and moved here.
Wink
Bansko (Bulgaria) is a year round resort as its 1st and foremost a town & then a ski resort. In summer there a numerous activities to keep people busy. Besides hiking there's mountain biking, hot & cold mineral springs (theres even an Olympic sized hot spring fed swimming pool in a village 5 kms away). Theres lots of fascinating places to visit just a short drive away. Bansko also hosts a week long Jazz festival in August. I could go on & on but wont as you probably already get the picture snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy