Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2024/25 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
It gives me great pleasure to introduce the new thread for 2024/25. Let discussion commence…

I’m currently in Saalbach, and will be there for another few weeks. It’s a lively and popular tourist season as usual, with some idyllic swimming in lakes, and hiking and biking. Highlights have been the annual Hinterglemm Farmer’s Market (basically a three day street party), the weekly Wednesday street party at Zell am See, and the Thursday evening “all you can eat” barbecue party at the incomparable Hecherhütte at Viehhofen.

The only new developments that I’m currently aware of are the new Zwölfer Nord gondola at Hinterglemm, and the new Streuboden gondola at Fieberbrunn - both very expensive, much-appreciated upgrades. But no doubt there will be other things to report on in due course.

And, as I mentioned in my last post on the previous season’s thread, bear in mind that there are a few British owners amongst my circle, who have good, well-located rental apartments available in Saalbach, and who (for some unknown reason) tend not to use Snowheads. So it’s always worth messaging me.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fieberbrunn was desperate for that new gondol it was the worst in the area
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Baron von chippy, agreed
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Baron von chippy wrote:
fieberbrunn was desperate for that new gondol it was the worst in the area
vintage chic Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome back Richard. Hopefully catch up this season.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@RedandWhiteFlachau, that would be great Little Angel
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Happy new thread Richard, looking forward to your reports again.

I am out late this year, booked in Kristiania first week of March, 3 of us flying out on the Friday to get the full day skiing Saturday.

Is it snowing yet!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ribblevalleyblue, it has been known, even in August, but recent temperatures have been around 27-30 degrees, which is pretty normal. Too warm even for my shortest lederhosen. Balmy!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yippee here we go again, something to look forward to this season is the new Nordbhan coming along nicely

A bit of reprofiling going on too, looks like the red on the side is being widened again, which is no bad thing.

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’m hoping might make a few days in SH this coming season. Skied there in 2016 and thought it was brilliant. We scored a bargain with our accommodation with a new aparthotel opening and offering great intro rates at the time. Doing my research suggests prices have gone up a bit since then so will need to start saving the pennies! Looking forward to keeping an eye on this thread.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here is the annual how to get to Saalbach post

Public Postbus (260) from Salzburg airport, is the cheapest way to get to Saalbach, the fare is €16.80 each way there is a family fare see below, change at Maishofen (680) a couple of minutes walk between bust sops, the bus going up the valley will wait if there is slight delay to the incoming bus.

Freizeit-Ticket Salzburg, this is a one day family ticket for travel within Salzburgland, the cost is €19.00 for 2 adults and up to 4 children under 15, you can buy it from the bus driver, so for 2 adults it's cheaper than buying two standard singles, https://salzburg-verkehr.at/tickets-preise/einzelfahrkarten/freizeit-ticket-salzburg/

Austrian Transfer run a shuttle bus service 8 times a day https://www.austriatransfer.com/en it is 130 return per person if more than two travelling , however if you are a solo traveller it is 220 euro! if there are four or more then a private shuttle is more cost effective €480
This is the timetable https://www.austriatransfer.com/downloads/fahrplaene2024/airport-shuttle-saalbach.pdf

Andy Rose of Snow Camps Europe started offering a shuttle type service last season and is doing it again , €130 return https://www.snowcampseu.com/airport-transfers/

Private transfers, Taxi companies based in Saalbach, Taxi Rainer https://www.taxirainer.at/en/ , Taxi6620 https://www.taxi6620.at/en/ , https://taxi-pinzgau.com

The public bus has five connections on Saturday, to check the times https://salzburg-verkehr.at/en/, it has a map of the walk between bus stops at Maishofen.

You can also go via Zell Am See, take the bus to Salzburg HBF then train to Zell, there maybe a change, then bus 680 to Saalbach or a taxi approx €60, you can get the times here, https://salzburg-verkehr.at/en/

You can buy bus or train tickets through the Salzburg Verkehr app, it also has the live ski bus times, handy for when you are in resort.

NB: the Postbus from Salzburg to Saalbach is not included in your ski pass!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 21-08-24 15:48; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks George, very useful. The public bus has certainly become an extremely useful and cheap option, and it takes only about 2 hours (1.5 hours to Maishofen). I find the Austrian public transport website very user-friendly: www.oebb.at
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Something to take into account if it actually happens in November is the EU entry system for third country nationals , Salzburg isn't a large airport and currently there have been queues when multiple UK flights arrive.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/border-checks-eu-uk-brexit-entry-b2581142.html

We are due to fly in Salzburg in early December will feedback how it goes

Its going to happen, https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5325783#5325783
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Update on the new Nordbhan, the bottom station has been moved closer to the Hocalmbahn station, should be a lot easier to connect back up, won't be missing the tow rope.
https://www.facebook.com/SaalbachHinterglemm/posts/pfbid02fRXDbmPGskhqRCLaPQhTAH1LXRgV5rFj26TThutvF5BdiJaeCm6M2ZfRRc45C9hol

Didn't get to the top to have a look, got stuck at Genus12 Cool
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@tatmanstours, well done for stating this post up. It was very helpful for when my 16 year old son and I visited last Feb. And @radar also for the help with the bus info.

We had a great time, out best trip ever and would have been coming back this year. However, as some of you may have seen elsewhere, my son was sadly killed in Mar and I don't have it in me to come back so soon. If you recall it was just my son and I, single dad. Beyond tragic. So I will wish you all well for this year, although I may come back and read a few posts. Hopefully I will visit and ski again soon.

Here's the very last pic I have of him, with me at the bottom of the floodlit piste in Hinterglemm. Taken at the end of our last day out there, our last day ever skiing together.

snow report
@Boofont, really sorry for your loss, my deepest sympathies .
snow conditions
@Boofont, my sincere and deepest condolences
latest report
Originally posted on last year's thread so apologies. Question re Fasching, what effect, if any, does it have on the village and the ski area? Does it make it substantially more busy all round ie lift queues, bars, restaurants etc?
ski holidays
Really sorry to hear that @Boofont, my condolences. That's a lovely photo of the two of you.

I wanted to ask the Saalbach-Hinterglemm experts, we have S-H on our shortlist for next February half term. We would be arriving on the evening of Saturday 15 Feb. However, I understand that is also the last weekend of the World Cup, with the two slalom races on the Saturday and Sunday. How chaotic or otherwise will that make things? The Saturday won't impact on our skiing, but might make the village a bit "lively". How much will it affect the Sunday, either in terms of pistes being closed, or the village being busy? Will the crowds be drifting off by the Sunday evening, or hanging around for one last party? And will Saalbach or Hinterglemm be most affected, or both?

We are a family of four, kids by then will be 10 and 8, piste skiers only, and intermediates, happiest on blues and reds.

Many thanks.
ski holidays
@kb36,OOphs was thinking of Epiphany! this season it's 6 January, it is busier more children, but it's not a dramatic difference, you may have to queue a bit longer for some lifts on the mountain, at the base station avoid peak if you can, the Schonleiten gets busy, we tend grab the bus up to the Hochalm / Nordbhann as it's less busy if going out at peak time.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 10-09-24 11:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Once again, this thread is useful: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5224740&highlight=european+school+holidays#5224740

I reckon that Austria might be OK this half-term as the late Fasching/Carnivale has spread Dutch/Germans/Belgians out somewhat. France looks like the place to avoid that week....

Fasching is 4th March 2025.
snow conditions
@kb36, Fasching is so late in 2025 (4th March) that most of the countries, including Austria itself, will have already held their half-term holidays, so the impact on lifts, queues, restaurants etc. will be minimal.

@Temesvar, The races take place in Hinterglemm on the Zwolferkogel. Other than the race track itself with takes up half of a normal piste, there are no piste closures - in fact, you can ski down the piste adjacent to the race track for most of the courses (except for the very top of the downhill courses) and watch the competitors for free. The rest of the resort (Westgipfel, Reiterkogel and Hochalm in Hinterglemm, and all of Saalbach) won't be affected at all. All of the parties, presentations etc. take place in the centre of Hinterglemm. By Monday morning (17th) other than the clearing up and the empty grandstands behind the Zwolferkogel lift, if the previous World Cup weekends are anything to go by you'll hardly notice that there has been a two-week event in the area.
ski holidays
Thanks @quinton
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy