Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

April skiing - Flaine vs La Plagne

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, first post in the forum. Looking for some advice.

I’m an experienced skier and hoping to introduce my wife and kids (both 8 years old) to skiing this coming season. Due to work commitments our only likely opportunity is early April.

I’ve been looking around and seen a few deals within budget in Flaine and La Plagne. Has anyone been to these resorts in April, if so, which do you think would be the best fit? Open to any other recommendations too.

Thanks in advance

LJ

Smile Eh oh!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Flaine would probably be ok at that time of the year (other parts of the GM perhaps not), but La Plagne would probably be more reliable.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We stayed in Flaine a few years back for the very last weekend of the season, as a last minute thing. We had a great time, but there was no doubting that it was the end of the season. Extremely slushy at resort level, and the other bits of the Grand Massif that hadn't already closed were softer still. It didn't spoil our enjoyment but, had it been for a week, I suspect we'd have regretted not going somewhere higher.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would vote Les Arcs, good altitude range, well connected so can easily zip back for end of lessons, lots of easy blues. I always feels it connects better than la plagne. Where ever you go it is likely to be a slush fest lower down in the afternoon. However with modern snowmaking there is always fun to be had. Something quite fun about ripping down a white ribbon of snow with green fields either side!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’ve been to la plagne in April once and the snow was good. I’ve also skied across many times from les arcs ( where I ski most aprils) and with the exception of the very bottom the skiing has been good. Choose one of the higher villages. I’ve only been to flaine once, in January, so cannot comment on its snow reliability.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@LJMaddog, welcome to SH's.

Definitely no problem in La Plagne in early April. Actually a great time of the year for a first trip.

You could however save some money going to a smaller resort as beginners don't need the km of La Plagne. Somewhere like Valmeiner for instance - with 70% of the ski area is above 2000 meters.

But there is a lot going for La Plagne also.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
La Plagne that late in the season, or anywhere else quite high.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@LJMaddog, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead where in La Plagne are the " in-budget deals"? Location is key. Some accommodation will be more convenient for the ski school meeting place than others - and ease of getting back and forth, in clompy unfamiliar boots and carrying skis - will have a big influence on how much they like skiing. Also, not all ski schools are created equal (and not all will meet in the same place). Can't advise on La Plagne but there will be people here who can.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Been to La Plagne 3 times in April and was good each time. We were there last year and below 1700m it was slushy but above that and certainly once you get above 1900m it was great and plenty of blues and reds to go on. So if you can, I would stay in the slightly higher villages. Plagne Centre was fine in the morning but pretty cut up after lunchtime so you are (I think for the snow at least) better in Belle Plagne.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Been to both. Go to la plagne and stay in belle plagne. Flaine could be problematic at that time of year . Less risk at la plagne.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Belle Plagne gets my vote too. Cheaper accommodation in La Plagne may be less accessible. Proximity to the ski school meeting place and beginners slopes is worth paying extra for.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
La Plagne.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the advice and warm welcome Smile . I’ll definitely put La Plagne over Flaine but will also look at Les Arcs.

Also thanks for the tips on proximity to the ski schools, I hadn’t considered that.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@LJMaddog, Ski school access can be a real pain. One year we were staying in Plagne Villages but booked ski school in Plagne Soleil - looks doable on the map, absolute stress and hassle every morning.
Didn’t make that mistake again!
The lack of connectivity between the accommodation areas in La Plagne isn’t mentioned very often but it can be bloody awful with kids in tow.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boredsurfin wrote:
@LJMaddog, Ski school access can be a real pain. One year we were staying in Plagne Villages but booked ski school in Plagne Soleil - looks doable on the map, absolute stress and hassle every morning.
Didn’t make that mistake again!
The lack of connectivity between the accommodation areas in La Plagne isn’t mentioned very often but it can be bloody awful with kids in tow.

Thanks for the advice!
snow report
ESF are in belle plagne
snow report
ESF also in Plagne 1800. Can't comment more than that, I just noticed a shack there as I walked past a few years back.

ski holidays
I’d recommend belle plagne over 1800. It’s higher /ski in ski out lots of places and easier for access to les arcs vallandry etc.
snow report
Only been to Flaine beginning of April for 3 1/2 days
I picked it as its only a hour or so from Geneva and not to low
Day 1 got a bit slushy just as you got to resort level
Day2 hoofed it down , powder every where
Day3/4 Lovely pieste'd slopes
We got lucky having every condition possible

Also done Cervinia , Italy in April .. Very high resort so no worries about snow , but about 2hr drive
ski holidays
Definitely Belle Plagne - nicer than Plagne Centre and easy access over towards Montchavin for the Les Arcs connection if that is of interest. Loads of easy blues - I introduced my family to the Alps in La Plagne (although we stay in Montchavin when we visit). My wife and kids have all had lessons with Evolution 2.
ski holidays
Daughter has done a week with evolution 2 ski school. +1 recommendation
ski holidays
I live in La Plagne 1800 in the winter and the snow has been great in April the 6 winters I have spent there.
It’s a great resort late season and usually the first weekend in April sees the sublicimes event going on.
1800 has the bulk of catered British run chalets in resort but there is loads of self catered in all the stations
ski holidays
We have been a few times in April to la plagne and always been plenty of snow even down to the lower villages.

Only other thing to mention is pick accommodation not too far from ski school meet points.

Other resort may be worth a look is val thorens, will be snow sure and seemed to have a good beginner area with a couple of long carpets.

Interestingly we are off to Flaine at Christmas so will be hoping for good snow at the other end of the season.
ski holidays
Thanks guys, lots of food for thought. I’ve now extended my search. Just seen some deals in Avoriaz that suit our needs.

Puzzled Almost too much choice. I wouldn’t be bothered if going alone but want to get the first one with the kids just right.
snow conditions
@LJMaddog, don't overthink it or put too much pressure on yourself.
snow report
@LJMaddog, @Layne has good advice, don’t put too much pressure on yourself to get every single thing right - coming from someone who’s been there done that - the kids will enjoy themselves and you’ll learn stuff on Day 1 and 2 that you’ll do differently the next day etc. Biggest single thing for us was as close to ski in ski out as we could get, to make it easy. Oh, and hot chocolates for them (and vin chaud for us) on the mountain wink
snow report
LJMaddog wrote:
Thanks guys, lots of food for thought. I’ve now extended my search. Just seen some deals in Avoriaz that suit our needs.

Puzzled Almost too much choice. I wouldn’t be bothered if going alone but want to get the first one with the kids just right.

I've skied in La Plagne during Easter 2023 and Avoriaz during Easter 2024. While I love Avoriaz, if I had to choose between the two, I'd definitely prefer La Plagne.

Avoriaz is more affordable in April compared to La Plagne, but there are a couple of downsides:

It's not as high in altitude.
It tends to be really crowded, especially because nearby resorts like Châtel are also open in early April, and many people from those areas flock to Avoriaz.
In my opinion, skiing in La Plagne is better, but the overall vibe and concept of Avoriaz are undeniably appealing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy