Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sölden - where to stay?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are plannimg on heading to Sölden in Feb half term - very mixed ability group of four adults and four kids. Range from one pretty much beginner (one week four years ago) to experienced on piste skiers. The kids and the adult beginner will need lessons, but all the kids are decent blue skiers; the little one still very much a snow plough slave.

Where to stay? Being Feb half term, looking not to have to sell vital organs. I see most of the beginner stuff is at the top of giggijoch, but is that the place to stay? I've seen a couple of little places over the other sides of town (a couple in Hochsölden and one that looks to be halfway down the gaislach drag lift) - how easy/quick is it to get to ski school from there in the mornings? Happy to split the group up in the mornings if only the decent skiers can avoid the bus.

We aren't looking for wild apres - a beer in a panoramabar at the end of the afternoon, and games back at the apartment or hotel is our usual pattern.

Thanks in advance - recommendations always welcomed Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When questions arise about Solden (aka 'Soldin' ) on this forum I think it's now traditional to refer to this eloquent review of its charms.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=60650&highlight=soldin

You might find the apres is a bit wild for your liking if this description is accurate Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've stayed in Sölden a bunch of times and never really noticed the layout of the place to be an issue, it's not that big. There are ski busses which will either take you up to the glacier (early/ late season) or shuttle you through the town. It's not a ski-in/ ski-out place so most folk are relaxed about a short walk here and there, and some of them even end up in the bars on the way home.

The location of the lifts.. well I'm usually there early/ late, so it's a bit different (because the bus and cars can use the glacier road to get out), but the two lifts are at opposite ends of the strip, with shuttle busses and bars and cafes and shops and happy people in between the two.

Staying "on the other side of the river" is a bit quieter and nicer and the town swimming pool is over there. It's easy enough to get across to the main drag. I stayed that side when I was trying to save money. There are Austrian "guest houses" all over there and also many right on the main drag, generally family run (although some of those families own half the shops too). If you're some way from the two lifts, check the bus goes past, but I think they'll all be on the same shuttle route.

I don't know how the ski school works or where those runs are. Early / late season is very different. Personally the bus is my friend, not something I'd avoid.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Havent satyed there myself yet, though its high on my “want to go” list so have researched it quite a bit. Sinc e this is all second habd knowledge, please feel free to correct me.

For you it seems like a place near the bottom of the Giggijochbahn would make sense, since the main ski school meeting point is located at the top of the Giggijochbahn. Downside is that to get back the bottom of Giggijoch you only have red and black options, so the beginner would likely have to download in the gondola, or ski to Gaislachand take the bus back.

Hochsoelden you can probably rule out since you have to go down a red/black to get back to it and when leaving the hotel.

From Gaislachkogelbahn it is a bit more faff to get to the top of Giggijoch in the morning, but it looks like you can get there with 2 lifts and 2 blue slopes (6 & 13) - so not too bad. The biggest advantages the Gaislach area has is that it has blue pistes running down to the valley, and it also has the night skiing and toboggan run.

Overall, logistically Giggijoch probably makes most sense though given the proximity to ski lessons.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JohnS4, never gets old. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Close to Giggijochbahn valley station, as stated.
Plenty of guesthouses/hotels and dinner options nearby.
Rentals/depot as well.
As always in Austria, use their local website:

https://www.soelden.com/accommodations.html
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We stayed at Aparthotel Peter in Innerwald Feb 23 half term.Worked well with the kids and can walk straight onto the blue beginner piste.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We stayed here in Easter 2022: https://www.stefan-soelden.at/

It is literally by the Giggijoch gondola (maybe about 100 metres, so super close).

There were 3 of us and even if we'd wanted to ski down, we couldn't as it was far too slushy, so we always got the Gondola down.

As others have said, for Ski School it is great as they meet near the top and you can get around easily from there too (there are a few blues if I recall correctly near where ski school meet, which is handy).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy