Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Non-skiing autumn trip recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
While waiting for the ski season to start and for my wife's knee to fully recover after an ACL reconstruction, we plan to drive somewhere to the mountains in the last week of October (leaving from Brussels). We're looking for beautiful landscapes, autumn colours, castles, some light hiking with our four-year old. We could also rent bicycles if the weather permits and if there are flat trails (I've done that from Zell am See in the summer, some years ago). I'll do photography during early mornings and evenings. A hotel that has cool stuff for the kid would be useful, if anyone knows of one.

We have nothing booked and we're waiting to see what the weather will do before choosing a destination...but what areas should we consider?

At this point leading candidates are somewhere in southern Germany, or maybe as far as Austria. But given that most mountains are at least 7-8 hrs drive from Brussels, we have lots of options. We could also stop in 2-3 places (but obviously in the same broad area or on the same overall route).

For an idea of things we like, here are some of my photos from Slovenia a few years ago (but we won't get that far this time):
https://cedricpopa.zenfolio.com/p275005022
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://en.visitmosel.de/

Mosel Valley? Ticks a few boxes for you. Sorry to hear about Kolkie's knee. Hope it's on the mend though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Neuschwanstein? Bavaria?

Actually, surely the Black Forest. Three hours’ drive closer to you. Stay somewhere near the Schwartzwaldhochstraße. I have a particular fondness for Obertal at the south end though I haven’t been for years. The castles aren’t Bavarian-style but all told you’ll have a lovely time with your four-year-old child.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Poland.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Klamm Franzer, we've been to Mosel once but it's indeed a good option! Not sure I'll have enough trees for autumn colours though (gotta have either mountains or autumn colours...)

@James the Last, the Black Forest is definitely a top option. I'm looking for where to stay / what to do if we go there.

@Whitegold, er, Poland is large. But, more to the point, too far to drive to compared to many other excellent options - we could be in Slovenia or the Dolomites faster...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Garmisch area? Bavaria is brilliant and would tick all boxes (easy hikes, autumn colours & big mountains). Though I might be tempted to stay in one of the quieter surroundings villages like Mittenwald or maybe Lenngries. Garmisch itself is pretty big / busy but probably less touristy in autumn. If you want to go just over border into Austria we had a great summer trip to Lermoos when kids were little. Cool views of Zugspitze and quiet.

Round about Feldsee in Black Forrest would be less driving from Brussels. Great network of trails / rolling hills for biking, trail running, & gentle hiking. Reminded me of the tweed valley in Scotland. Autumn colours would be great
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interlaken. Huge variety of accommodation. Flat (between 2 lakes) mountains all around.
Bike hire plentiful. Autumn colours around the lakes are fantastic.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't know what the Vosges mountains are like but on a cycling trip last year the towns around them are certainly very attractive indeed.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@horizon, how about Innsbruck as a base? Mountains and Castle literally either side of the city.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy