Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice please - Driving to alps with the kids

Poster: A snowHead
Evening all,

We're thinking of booking a week's break on Dec 28th and potentially staying lower in the valley somewhere like Bourg-Saint-Maurice. Having not driven to the alps before I'm wondering if anyone has advice on how best to approach it with 3 young lads in tow.

Our current plan is to set off from Cardiff early morning to catch the 8am (ish) euro tunnel. We would then drive to Reims, spend an hour or so there, then drive down Dijon and overnight there. Set off next morning from Dijon, drive to Bourg-Saint-Maurice, unpack, sort our ski hire to be ready to ski Monday. We'd ski all week including the Saturday and head straight from the slopes back to Dijon, overnight there and drive back home Sunday.

How does this all sound?

I've read a few post and am already consider getting one of the automated thingys for the tolls to speed up the French motorway section.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@tomb, how old are the "young lads"?

Is the wife/another going/sharing the driving or are you driving solo?

Do you have all weather or winter tyres? Do you have snow chains?

Will you or the "young lads" be doing lessons?

Why are you staying in the valley?

Have you considering driving overnight?

That week is one of the busiest of the season in case you are not aware.

Not sure why you are spending "an hour or so" in Reims. It's a lovely place but driving into it and parking on what will be a busy Saturday - just for an hour or two, doesn't seem worth it to me.

Most accommodation will be Sat to Sat obviously - and you will have to ensure you can check in on the Sunday.

Other than that the plan seems OK.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@tomb, When our son was young we always drove overnight. He'd fall asleep shortly after we set off and wake up somewhere around Albertville. Even now as an adult he sleeps most of the way, only waking up to collect and pay toll tickets. Now we tend to do the journey during the day, setting off from the midlands about 04:30 and getting to Les Arcs about 20:30. I don't see the point in an overnight stop. It just makes the journey last forever. If you catch the 08:00 tunnel you can easily get to Bourg st Maurice by 20:00.

The autoroute transciever saves about 2 minutes on the journey but does stop me having to nudge my sleeping son at the toll booths. Like most French people I don't bother with it.

An important question - how many of you will be sharing the driving. My wife and me share it - 3 hours on 3 hours off with the slight exception of the drive to the tunnel in the UK which can easily be 4 hours.

If you want to stop in Rheims then park up just off the Autoroute and get the train into the centre of town. If you want to stop off for some sight seeing Troyes is a much nicer town.

The hard part of the drive is getting to the channel tunnel in England Drving on the French autoroutes is much easier. Put the cruise control at 130 and just steer, (don't let the lane control take complete control)

Talking books or podcasts are essential.
snow conditions
 Joint01
Joint01
You should consider breaking up the drive further by adding an extra overnight stop between Dijon and Bourg-Saint-Maurice, especially since it’s a long haul and traveling with kids can be exhausting and maybe packing essentials like snacks, games, and travel pillows will keep the kids comfortable during the long drive
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Joint01 wrote:
You should consider breaking up the drive further by adding an extra overnight stop between Dijon and Bourg-Saint-Maurice, especially since it’s a long haul and traveling with kids can be exhausting and maybe packing essentials like snacks, games, and travel pillows will keep the kids comfortable during the long drive

Seriously? Dijon to BSM is 4 hours!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@tomb, I wouldn’t stay somewhere in the valley with young kids. I’d stay right next to the lift and ski school, with snow outside my door.

Do you really want to walk to the funicular each morning in full ski kit, commute to the resort, walk to ski school, discover you’ve left a glove in the apartment and someone needs a wee…
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We have been loads with little kids. Now made much easier now they are tweens.

This is our route…

Home Salisbury - to Eurotunnel - Calais - always factor in 6 hours to get to Calais
If a full Friday travelling - travel all the way to Dijon to get there for 6/7pm dinner
If a half day travelling or mid morning travel to Troyes for an overnight
Saturday Dijon to BSM really easy and loads of time to shop / get skis.
Troyes to BSM is tighter - will need to leave early to get shopping in.

Would recommend lots of travel activities and just don’t worry about how much screen time.

On the way back we always stopped in Reims - would easily get there for dinner and bed. Now we drive all the way home - we don’t need to stop much for breaks and get home around 10pm.

I would also suggest staying in resort right next to slopes and lessons. It a hassle as it is carrying stuff. You are also risking 1600 at that time of year. Last year it was quite slushy down at 1600 - you might it better being in 1800 or 1950.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Your plan is mostly sound. We will be travelling the same week with kids. 12 years and 10. Have been doing the drive the last 4 years sometimes twice a year.
Dijon is fine to stop on the way down.
I would try and make it to Troyes on the return as it makes a shorter trip to the tunnel the next morning.
Troyes is also much nicer than reims
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not sure what's behind your idea of an hour or 2 in Reims, I'm guessing lunch and a leg stretch? If so I'd actually suggest either stopping 90min earlier in Saint-Quentin or 2hr later in Troyes.

Reims is nice enough but very much about Champagne tasting - a Champagne tourist prices. Also I don't remember it being great for parking.

Saint-Quentin is much smaller/less touristy but a nice stop, reasonable for parking, and a nice, pedestrianised main square with loads of restaurants.

Troyes is bigger but a huge car park up the middle of a boulevard in the centre and loads of shops/restaurants a short walk from there.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
no ones mentioned the traffic getting in to the tarentasie valley. Be wise to that one.
Everyone's got the right way of driving down with everyone else's being unbelievably wrong.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sound advice there, except a second overnight stop but I was a bit confused about your timing. Will your overnight in Dijon be Saturday night? Hotels will be stuffed with Brits driving down - do book well in advance. You will not be able to do 130 all the way. We drove down last Christmas and there were a LOT of traffic jams or very slow progress. New Year will be worse. The telepéage doofer is useful, but makes little overall difference. And if it's wet, of course, the speed limit is less than 70!

An hour's stop at Reims is (as advised) pointless. Two shorter stops, at motorway aires, for a break (some have kids play areas) would be better.

Personally I would drive overnight but I recognise that's not for everybody.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Having done the journey ( starting at London at 7am using the ferry ) a few times I always go via Luxembourg and stay overnight in Metz getting to Bourg the next evening so if you are getting to france at 9am you should be able to get much further south than I, with 2 drivers you could make it in a day...If you are hiring skis there is a large ski hire shop by the funicular ..its either hire there or leave your skis in the depository there at extra cost as it is a fair walk from the town
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

You are also risking 1600 at that time of year. Last year it was quite slushy down at 1600 - you might it better being in 1800 or 1950.

I recall it being very icy in 1600 last Christmas. The pistes were fine (snow making) but walking around the resort had its moments. It may sound odd but Arc 1800 is less than 100 metres higher than Arc 1600 and the snow conditions almost identical. However, as the slopes in 1800 are more gentle than 1600 I would reccommend 1800 for beginners and, of course, being as near to the ski school meeting point or jardin d'enfants as possible.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We don't know, do we, that these are beginners?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

no ones mentioned the traffic getting in to the tarentasie valley. Be wise to that one.

Good point. Dec 28th is possibly the worse day of the year to be arriving in Bourg st. Maurice. I've traveled home the Saturday before New Year in the past and seen the traffic entering the tarrentaise. The jams have gone all the way back to Chambery! It may not even be possible to find a parking space in Arc 1600. Arriving before noon would be a good idea.
snow conditions
Quote:

Indeed, but the advise of being close to ski school or lifts would apply to all children IMHO
snow conditions
we drive but now to Austria. we leave home 1am(nottingham) for a 6ish crossing(always on the friday). We drive to leave us 3hrs driving in the morningto the resort. Start driving at 4am to miss all the traffic, grab some breakfast drop bags at hotel and ready to ski on the 1st morning.
latest report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Good point. Dec 28th is possibly the worse day of the year to be arriving in Bourg st. Maurice. I've traveled home the Saturday before New Year in the past and seen the traffic entering the tarrentaise. The jams have gone all the way back to Chambery! It may not even be possible to find a parking space in Arc 1600. Arriving before noon would be a good idea.

on a bad it'll go back to lyon.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've driven a lot to the Alps, but never before this last journey on a busy holiday weekend (because driving with entire family in education!). I was surprised at the jams we encountered well north of the Tarentaise valley. And the big queues in the "aires" for petrol and ladies' toilets! We planned the journey to be driving up the mountain (to Les Saisies) about 6 - 7 pm, after the main rush. Driving to Dijon on the Saturday and completing the journey (very easily) on Sunday is a good plan, though it involves "wasting" a day of a 7 day Sat/Sat rental. Skiing the final Saturday is also a good plan too, avoiding the lemming rush out of resort in the morning.
snow report
When our son was at school and one’s wife and one were working full time we would leave after work on the Friday getting to the resort early Saturday mornings ski that Saturday and the following Saturday. Then drive back overnight getting 8 days skiing and missing most of the traffic.

Now we drive midweek to midweek and do the journey during a single day. The target is to get to les arcs before the pizzeria closes and home before about 2. We do the drive about 3 times a year though sometimes fly to Geneva for trips of less than a week.
ski holidays
Remember this isn't summer, so if your Reims stop is just for sightseeing and a break, I'd skip that. It's going to be cold (hopefully) and possibly wet and get dark early afternoon.

We've done family overnight drives summer and winter and the trouble with the latter is it's dark and cold, with bad weather more likely, and you can't stop and have a nap or a longer break without the car getting cold very quickly.

With kids, all you usually want is to stop somewhere near to the autoroute. If you can afford it, somewhere with a pool would be a good way to relax and for the kids to burn off surplus energy. That's why we do Calais>Troyes then stop off at a motel (Le Val Moret) just off the autoroute. It's also good that the car is parked outside the room, rather than somewhere else on site, or in a public car park.

On the return journey, the overnight is a harder decision as of course, you gain an hour on the return crossing. But we're only 90minutes from Ashford and If I was further away, I'd endorse an overnight on the way back as well. We still overnight on the return as well, even 'though we don't drive with the kids any more.

We do have an autoroute tag for convenience. You don't need but it helps smooth out the journey, with no frantic searches for toll tickets etc.

We also carry a 5ℓ petrol can (this is permitted on LeShuttle) just in case. It's one of those with a honeycomb core for safety. Details in the blog link at the end.

In an ideal world, if money and convenience were no object, you'd have winter tyres or at least all-seasons on your car, and be carrying chains. Rather that start a drift around winter tyres I suggest you search the forum for threads on the topic, of which there are many.

Chains are a no-brainer as insurance for the possibility of really bad conditions and/or their mandatory fitting as directed by the Gendarmes. Cue the usual "I've been travelling to the Alps since the late Jurassic and never needed chains." but like all insurance, just because many people have never needed to claim doesn't mean the risk is absent. But you decide.

I've done a blog piece on our client website pages discussing Self-drive to the Swiss Alps: Preparation most of which is equally applicable to France and includes useful links.
snow conditions
If you can get Sunday-Sunday accommodation for New Year week that would avoid two of the busiest transfer days of the winter, and has much to commend it. If there is heavy snowfall which coincides with either of the Saturdays of that week it can be absolute carnage on the roads. However, as others have said, the majority of accommodation books on a Saturday-Saturday basis so you really must check that you can get Sunday-Sunday before you commit to your travel plans.

If you require ski school for your kids it might well be fully booked relatively early, so don’t leave that until too late. Some ski schools start classes on Sundays, so starting your skiing on the Monday might mean your kids miss the first day (and there won’t be a lesson on the Saturday at the end of your trip).
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
@tomb, how old are the "young lads"?

Is the wife/another going/sharing the driving or are you driving solo?

Do you have all weather or winter tyres? Do you have snow chains?

Will you or the "young lads" be doing lessons?

Why are you staying in the valley?

Have you considering driving overnight?

That week is one of the busiest of the season in case you are not aware.

Not sure why you are spending "an hour or so" in Reims. It's a lovely place but driving into it and parking on what will be a busy Saturday - just for an hour or two, doesn't seem worth it to me.

Most accommodation will be Sat to Sat obviously - and you will have to ensure you can check in on the Sunday.

Other than that the plan seems OK.

The lads are 6, 7, 10.

Wife will likely not be driving.

I have winter tyres, chains etc.

Staying in the valley due to it being a little more economical. We've got another trip start of Feb so this is a bonus trip. Also I've previously stayed in a catered chalet in Villaroger and quite enjoyed being able to choose between Sainte foy, Les arcs, La Rosiere etc depending on conditions.
ski holidays
@tomb, if you can take your time, do so. Our most enjoyable trips with our children have been the ones where we've explored the rest of France too. Why not make that Reims visit an overnight one? Not worth it for a couple of hours, but I think the Christmas market carries on until NYE. It will be busy but there are park and rides, trams into the City, or a huge underground car park at Place D'Erlon. I wouldn't drive overnight because although kids may sleep, you won't, and a fractious, tired parent with excited kids aren't a good combination. We'd probably drive the rest of the way from there the following morning.
snow report
johnE wrote:
@tomb, When our son was young we always drove overnight. He'd fall asleep shortly after we set off and wake up somewhere around Albertville. Even now as an adult he sleeps most of the way, only waking up to collect and pay toll tickets. Now we tend to do the journey during the day, setting off from the midlands about 04:30 and getting to Les Arcs about 20:30. I don't see the point in an overnight stop. It just makes the journey last forever. If you catch the 08:00 tunnel you can easily get to Bourg st Maurice by 20:00.

The autoroute transciever saves about 2 minutes on the journey but does stop me having to nudge my sleeping son at the toll booths. Like most French people I don't bother with it.

An important question - how many of you will be sharing the driving. My wife and me share it - 3 hours on 3 hours off with the slight exception of the drive to the tunnel in the UK which can easily be 4 hours.

If you want to stop in Rheims then park up just off the Autoroute and get the train into the centre of town. If you want to stop off for some sight seeing Troyes is a much nicer town.

The hard part of the drive is getting to the channel tunnel in England Drving on the French autoroutes is much easier. Put the cruise control at 130 and just steer, (don't let the lane control take complete control)

Talking books or podcasts are essential.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm leaning towards getting there in one day but the wife thinks it would be easier for the kids with a stop for lunch in Reims and then an overnight somewhere not too far from bourg.

I'm not overly concerned about doing the driving on my own, I did a 14 hour round trip last week without issue.

It's not that we're particularly interested in Reims, we're just looking for a convenient location to stop to stretch our legs and get lunch and will take a look at Troyes.
snow conditions
snowdave wrote:
@tomb, I wouldn’t stay somewhere in the valley with young kids. I’d stay right next to the lift and ski school, with snow outside my door.

Do you really want to walk to the funicular each morning in full ski kit, commute to the resort, walk to ski school, discover you’ve left a glove in the apartment and someone needs a wee…

We've got a 2nd trip early Feb which is a chalet next to the slopes, as mentioned this is a bonus trip and is a test to see how the kids cope with the drive. I'm equally not that bothered about a short drive to resort each morning, we're not a lazy family.
ski holidays
Elsie80 wrote:
We have been loads with little kids. Now made much easier now they are tweens.

This is our route…

Home Salisbury - to Eurotunnel - Calais - always factor in 6 hours to get to Calais
If a full Friday travelling - travel all the way to Dijon to get there for 6/7pm dinner
If a half day travelling or mid morning travel to Troyes for an overnight
Saturday Dijon to BSM really easy and loads of time to shop / get skis.
Troyes to BSM is tighter - will need to leave early to get shopping in.

Would recommend lots of travel activities and just don’t worry about how much screen time.

On the way back we always stopped in Reims - would easily get there for dinner and bed. Now we drive all the way home - we don’t need to stop much for breaks and get home around 10pm.

I would also suggest staying in resort right next to slopes and lessons. It a hassle as it is carrying stuff. You are also risking 1600 at that time of year. Last year it was quite slushy down at 1600 - you might it better being in 1800 or 1950.

Thanks for the advice. Still debating bourg vs resort. The trade off is going to be between - good location but expensive/small accommodation.... or.... worse location and better accommodation.
ski holidays
Mjit wrote:
Not sure what's behind your idea of an hour or 2 in Reims, I'm guessing lunch and a leg stretch? If so I'd actually suggest either stopping 90min earlier in Saint-Quentin or 2hr later in Troyes.

Reims is nice enough but very much about Champagne tasting - a Champagne tourist prices. Also I don't remember it being great for parking.

Saint-Quentin is much smaller/less touristy but a nice stop, reasonable for parking, and a nice, pedestrianised main square with loads of restaurants.

Troyes is bigger but a huge car park up the middle of a boulevard in the centre and loads of shops/restaurants a short walk from there.

Thanks, will definitely look into the alternatives. As mentioned we're not tied to Reims, just trying to figure out what's most convenient Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You will find very little choice of accommodation available by now (I booked for Christmas over a month ago, last minute plan, and there was little available). Car parking anywhere near lifts will be very busy too.
snow report
Origen wrote:

The lads all ski blues well and managed some bloody awful conditions in les gets last year rolling eyes
snow report
I drive to Alps from London many times every year like many on here. Our golden rule is when we stop along the motorway for a toilet stop, everyone goes to the toilet and I top up ten tank, even it’s its only 15 litres. Vice-versa if we stop for fuel. This seems to make the trip more efficient for us. Our kids 13 and 10 have iPads and messaging to friends to keep them occupied. I would sack off Reims and perhaps consider Chaumont as your overnight stop it’s before Dijon and has a good Ibis hotel with secure parking.

The big unknown are expected delays that will be caused by the new EU biometric collection that comes into force in November and suspect will cause chaos at the Dover and Folkestone.
snow conditions
I've driven to the French and Italian alps a few times for Feb half term with children from Colchester (according to Goggle Maps, 2.5 hours closer to Folkstone than from Cardiff).

When they were younger we'd drive overnight to avoid too many "are-we-there-yet"s, but even with two drivers it's hard on the the drivers. We took the Eurotunnel to avoid having to awake sleeping children to remove them from the car.

When they became older we found that overnighting in Macon (there are a few motels near the A6, just south of Macon) on the way down works, although the traffic on the second day can get pretty bad if you do not leave early. On the way back we stop in Troyes as it is close enough to Calais to be able to judge the timings reasonably well (although if skiing all day first then you would not get there early).

If you want accomodation for Sun-Sat it might be worth thinking of Italy (e.g. La Thuile) because they tend to be a bit more flexible about non-standard (i.e. not Sat-Sat) stays.
ski holidays
Quote:

You will find very little choice of accommodation available by now (I booked for Christmas over a month ago, last minute plan, and there was little available).

There is still lots available in Les Arcs New year week and even more Christmas week. In fact less than half the apartments offered by our immobilier are booked by now. Most bookings don't come in until October/November. The French don't appear to think about skiing until the summer holidays are over.

Just a thought. If you want a Sun to Sun booking it may be worth actually phoning the immobiler up and asking. As the week commencing the forth of Jan is usually pretty quiet they may be happy to take the extra income for one day. People are more flexible than web sites.
latest report
Quote:

There is still lots available in Les Arcs New year week and even more Christmas week.

I suppose that, to be fair, I was looking for a big, well appointed and very well located place. There were a fair few rabbit hutches available. wink
snow report
@tomb, Our 3 sons are all grown up now, and beginning to take their own children skiing. When they were small we did ski tips to the Alps in many different ways, several times a year, the majority being with the caravan in tow which made it easy to stop for a night en route if we wished, but sometimes we rented places.

The drives were never a problem, the boys often slept a lot, and once computer games and screens were a thing that was a bonus, though we learnt quickly to ban them once we got onto twisty mountain roads!

We`ve done the drive many times in one day, Including with the caravan in tow. Mr CvS was always happy with long drives and his favourite was leaving the UK via the tunnel late afternoon, stopping for a meal after a few hours, then driving to the end of the motorways. We`d sleep in an aire (only when we had the caravan) and drive to the resort early in the morning. Otherwise we mostly left the UK very early in the morning to get to the resort that evening. The worst of the traffic into resorts is usually during the afternoon on Saturdays.

We were often not close to ski lifts so chose to drive to the lifts at the ages yours are, rather than walk or take a free ski bus if one was available. The ski bus thing worked well when the boys were all old enough to return to base on their own (as a group) which meant they could do different skiing from us.

If you are driving to the ski lifts look for ones with large car parks, get there early, though sometimes being late in the day can work if early skiers have gone home. Consider being organised enough to drop one adult plus all the ski kit at the lifts whilst the other adult drives potentially quite a way to park. Or, sometimes you can do a deal with a ski rental shop next to the lifts,(sometimes there are lockers for hire too) to leave maybe your own boots there and their rented ski`s overnight so the walk from the car can be done in comfy footwear.

If you are going to drive to the lifts being a bit further away will likely give you better accommodation choices.

The road into and out of Bourg St Maurice can be a nightmare at peak times (do what you can to avoid busy times) and whilst there is lots of accommodation in the valley the parking at the bottom of the funiculaire up to Les Arcs gets very busy. The drive up the valley to the other Isere resorts does not take too long and we have always managed to find parking. Though to be fair its maybe 5 years since we last did that.

Have fun!
snow conditions
At that sort of age my kids would have voted loudly and unanimously for a small and basic apartment with snow outside the door and a lift not far away over a more palatial place in the valley.
snow report
It sound like a reasonable plan

We did our first self-drive to Oz En Oisans at Easter (with another family with kids) and aside from the usual “when are we there”, it was just like any old long journey; loaded the iPads up with games/films, set up some playlists, and the wife and youngest sat in the back in a makeshift chez lounge (14yo sat up front with me and aside from paying tolls, just slept - useless co-pilot!! Very Happy ) always hard budgeting for kids’ attention levels in a long trip, thankfully enough rest stops on French motorways to break things up and get a leg stretch.

Early start from Rugby for a 10am tunnel and got us to Troyes for about 4:30pm, so I’d say your timings work.… can highly recommend it as a place to overnight because it’s a lovely place and there are plenty of accommodation options in the city, and on the outskirts. Plus, it’s not a million miles away from resort. In the anyone we did Reims and it’s okay, lots of touristy stuff, but it’s very much all about the champagne experience. Lots of city centre parking done through the EasyPark app, so you pay for what you use and not a fixed fee. You can get near the cathedral easily, that’s a really good place to visit for sure. But we’ve said if we self-drive again, we won’t revisit Reims, we preferred Troyes and fancy Dijon because it’s closer.

Main traffic queues we found on the way were at Vizelle where we did a shop (1hr from Bourg d’oisans) and further up the valley, but that was due to a crash. Traffic was heavy around Lyon but not standstill.

With young kids, I echo the thoughts in easy access to slopes; no matter how well we planned each day, we had countless forgotten gloves, over/underdressed and forgotten to go for a wee; being 100m from the lifts was a blessing, not sure I could have handled longer walks. Fortunately we had great accommodation but we’ve said that if it means going in something smaller, more bijou in future then for the sake of convenience we’ll do it.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 27-08-24 13:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@tomb, With Eurotunnel, you'll need to be there for 6am for an 8am crossing, which I guess means leaving Cardiff around 2am. That Saturday will be busy as it's one of the peak weekends and as mentioned above by Ozboy, the new EU checks will cause issues at Folkestone. Can you leave home and cross on the Friday?

As mentioned by many, I would avoid Reims. There's little else other than champagne and the Cathedral - which only takes a few minutes and it takes you off the autoroute and via a slow traffic city.
ski holidays
Quote:

With Eurotunnel, you'll need to be there for 6am for an 8am crossing,

or if you pay the Flexiplus premium, drive on the next train as soon as you arrive (only leaving enough time to scoop up some goodies....)
latest report
Origen wrote:
Quote:

With Eurotunnel, you'll need to be there for 6am for an 8am crossing,

or if you pay the Flexiplus premium, drive on the next train as soon as you arrive (only leaving enough time to scoop up some goodies....)

But on that Saturday, i.e. the New Year week, it will be chaos and even with Flexiplus you won't be on the next train as the flexiplusers before you will have baggsied the spaces Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy