Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

6 weeks in the Alps - where?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi SH's!

I am planning a 4-6 week trip (from the first week of jan) in the european alps and wondering where would be best suited for my girlfriend and I.

Will be driving from the UK and actually have the option to split the trip to different locations if warranted and to guarantee good snow.

Situation:
Will be WFH most afternoons from about 3/4pm so wanting a nice comfortable chalet - will be cooking most evenings so a decent shop is required.
Aim to ski probably 5 days a week, I prefer blue/reds but can ski blacks and wouldn't mind a decent advanced option.

Desires:
- 'Nightlife' in the form of nice bars and places for dinner - I don't need to be drinking beer standing on a table
- A town we won't get bored in, plenty of things and places to try out
- Not too 'flashy' but a nice mid-upper resort cost wise
- Good variety in skiing - that we won't get bored of
- A 'pretty'/scenic town

Some ideas I have are:

Meribel/St Martin (spent a week there this year and enjoyed Meribel)
Val d'Isere/Tignes
Lech
Veriber

I appreciate any inpiut!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would consider Dolomites to start (but the longest drive at the beginning) - plenty of blues and reds and great landscapes and then work back via somewhere like Kitzbuhel/Skiwelt (although many on here would recommend Saalbach) but I havent been there and then perhaps if you are feeling flush going into Switzerland, suggestions from others, or else going to Mayrhofen and the Ziller valley - a range of decent resorts and a car could be helpful but plenty of buses and the train. I think the French option might work and Verbier or Zermatt but Lech is a bit East, again. The French/Verbier option is overall less mileage.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I always answer with my two favourite areas; La Plagne and Courchevel.
Both are huge ski areas you cannot get bored of. Both have everything you'd need.
Where you choose within those is a bit more complicated but you wouldn't regret either.
If in Courchevel, I'd consider Le Praz or La Tania for cost saving, more of a village community feel than a holiday resort, and because you're further over towards the centre of the 3V (largest ski area on earth).
La Plagne is also part of a huge ski area. So extensive that in reality, you're never going to think you wish it had another 200km of piste.
I personally like 1850 but connectivity isn't as good as some of the other villages and over the course of an extended stay, that might get a bit tedious.
Nonetheless I'd seriously consider the La Plagne area.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is La Tania/ Le Praz as central to the 3V as Meribel? Why would you choose the former over Meribel?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Will be WFH most afternoons from about 3/4pm so wanting a nice comfortable chalet - will be cooking most evenings so a decent shop is required.

Most chalets are catered and they will not let you into the kitchen. Try an apartment instead.

Though not a pretty/scenic town Bourg st Maurice may be a good choice. Season tickets for Les Arcs are not too expensive, but if you fancy a change there is (well there used to be) a free shuttle bus to the base of the La Rosière domain and of course if you have a car you could easily drive to Tignes, La Plagne, or any of the other Tarrentaise resorts for a day out. The town itself has plenty of bars and restaurants. I believe the Super U in Bourg st Maurice is the largest Super U in the country. It is huge and you can get a great variety of different foods to cook.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Astontech, a few points.

Have you considered the implications of WFH in the EU? You don't mention anything about being an EU passport holder. Realistically it's unlikely to be a problem, but still, something to consider.

You could consider Austria and the Tirol Snowcard. That gives you access to virtually everywhere in Tirol.

https://snowcard.tirol.at/

Do you actually want a chalet to stay in? Or do you mean apartment?

In Austria most ski areas are also regular towns/villages, so there's proper supermarkets there.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd consider somewhere around Soll, Brixen, Hopfgarten, Kerchberg, Kitbuhel, Westendorf.
The area is massive.
I only know Kitz & Soll to stay in ... I don't think its obligatory to dance on the tables, but it helps.

I was going to say the Dolimites as well, because its the most beautiful skiing in Europe.
Its only the Austrians who stay up late.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DrLawn, it is a bit of a drive from brixen to the actual ski areas in the Dolomites surely one of the actual dolomiti towns like Wolkenstein would be better
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Look at some of the big area season passes for ideas:

Snowcard Tirol
Salzburger Superski
Dolomiti Superski
Magic Pass
Haute Maurienne

I've probably missed some....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
All sorts of suggestions here....
Whilst the OP has shown his ambitions (Lech, Meribel...)
Obviously the main question is: Budget?!?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For that duration, one big area and ski pass would be the most cost effective option. Accommodation for 6 weeks might be hard to find and likely to involve negotiating a deal on a property/properties rented by the week, and being prepared to drive to the lift, for availability and cost reasons . In France your 6 weeks is going to push you into school hols in early Feb, even if you avoid NY week. St Martin is lovely, nightlife is quite low key, but there are some nice restaurants, a handful of bars. Should the snow be rubbish (unlikely, and in any event is takes 20 mins to get up to 2400m by lift) it’s 15 mins to drive to the car park to access Val Thorens directly.
Is this for next winter? If so, start the accommodation search asap.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 16-08-24 18:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good question. What are you prepared to pay for accommodation?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi @johnE, I meant Brixen im Thale
Its in the valley between Hopfgarten and Kirchberg
There used to be a campsite there and the Dutch all turned up in the camper vans and ski there.
Its right in the middle of the Widerkaiser area, on the sunny side of the hill from Soll, not the Bressanone Brixen.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Astontech wrote:
Is La Tania/ Le Praz as central to the 3V as Meribel? Why would you choose the former over Meribel?

No Meribel is more central but imo Courchevel is by far the best of the 3V so La Tania and Le Praz give you greater access while also having you closer to the rest of 3V.

Honestly though, if you pick any of those places, you aren't going to have many regrets. One negative of Meribel is that it can feel like one giant junction during busy weeks with so many people passing through to get from VT to Church and vice versa
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DrLawn, Ah! I always think of the one on the motorway coming down from the Brenner. (I'm going that way in 10 days Smile )
snow report
@johnE, you Lucky Lad!
Are you going to lake Garda or walking in the Dolomiti ?
snow conditions
Origen wrote:
15K for 6 weeks
latest report
Staying near Alleghe for some rock climbing and via ferrata. I love the Dolomites for their long, relatively easy climbs. The longest I've done was 450m and the hardest (only 200m) was at grade IV+ but we are climbing with rucksacks carrying sensible equpment like waterproofs, shoes, water etc. Route finding on those big walls is a challenge in itself. The main target this year is the Odla de Cisles (350m grade IV-) in the Geislergruppe. I'm really looking forward to it.

We are driving down on Bank Holiday Monday.
ski holidays
One of Austria superski cards. Once you are done or bored you can look at another area, but a superski card when they first go on sale in the coming weeks is probably a no brainer. You may have budget left for longer than 6 weeks.

Would be tempted to buy a motorhome - do you trip with a mix of motorhomes & hotels (or a base long term rental & use trains to get around) & sell it when you get back. Even if you lose £5k for a quick sale - the money saved could extend extend your trip even further!
latest report
Astontech wrote:
Origen wrote:
15K for 6 weeks

Then you can delete Lech from your list.
And Meribel too probably.
And Verbier as well.
snow report
If you have to be back in the apartment to work by 3/4 pm I would be inclined to go for one of the big domains rather than somewhere you have to drive to different places to get use out of the lift pass.

I might look at Nendaz which has great links into the Verbier system and might be a bit easier to get a reasonable priced 6 week let. I'd contact the rental agencies directly.
snow conditions
Apologies if it sounds like I'm gatecrashing this thread, but I was about to start one asking basically the exact same question. We're also likely to be able to spend 6 weeks or so in the Alps this coming season, probably Feb 1/2 - March 15/16.

We're currently thinking we might base ourselves in Bourg St Maurice.

Rationale:

* We want to be in the Tarentaise
* But we might go crazy (and bankrupt) if we stayed up in a resort village all that time - so it needs to be a town
* Paradiski is the Tarentaise resort we've spent least time in so we're thinking that's where we should be close to
* Bourg is well located to drive to Val D'Isere/Tignes or the Three Valleys

The questions I'm currently mulling over and would value advice on are:

* Rent or buy skis? I'm guessing for this length it would be cheaper to buy
* Lift passes. Are there any deals/offers that allow holders of a Paradiski (say) season pass to access Val D'Isere/Tignes or The Three Valleys more cheaply?
* Where are the best places to find accommodation? Airbnb and Vrbo? Or are there other places we should be looking?
* Are we stupid for focusing on Paradiski? I ask this because I'm firmly of the view that the Three Valleys is the best ski area in the world... but we've been there a lot. So going to Les Arcs/La Plagne, which we've never visited since the year we learned to ski, felt like a good idea. But will I constantly be kicking myself for the choice? (This is going to be a one-time trip, taking advantage of a gap between jobs)

Thanks for any advice.
snow report
@gendal, you're trip dates cover the whole of the French school holidays, so as such, it's pretty much the most expensive time to go, and the least availability.
snow conditions
@swskier true - and very annoying. We have plans that mean that's the only uninterrupted six week period that works. We could also make a split trip wor (eg three weeks in Jan and three in March). I think the questions stand even so?
ski holidays
Langerzug wrote:
Astontech wrote:
Origen wrote:
15K for 6 weeks

And Verbier as well.

Seriously? I've stayed in all three places for far less than the OP's budget of 15k, regardless of currency. That's 357/night, not exactly a hostel budget.

Astontech, any of those places will be great, but I also think you should take a hard look at the Dolomites.
latest report
@gendal, split between Jan and March would be much better. Less crowds, so you have a nicer time anyway.

But yes, questions remain.

I'd look on Airbnb and Vrbo and also contact the tourist office. 2 x 3 week bookings will be much easier than 1 x 6 weeks across the entire school holidays.

In terms of buying skis, i'd be inclined to go for 2 pairs, piste focussed and all mountain/off piste, and don't be afraid to buy 2nd hand. You'll find plenty of decent skis available online, and you'll be able to get 2 second hand pairs for the same or less than 1 new pair. (this is coming from someone with a quiver currently of 8 pairs of skis Laughing )
snow report
Quote:

I'd buy second hand from one of the hire shops and a file with edge guide. It is possible to pick up a decent pair for about only a couple weeks rental
Quote:

Lift passes. Are there any deals/offers that allow holders of a Paradiski (say) season pass to access Val D'Isere/Tignes or The Three Valleys more cheaply?

Paradiski season passes are not bad value, but they do not have any reciprical arrangements. They break even at about 13 days.
Quote:

Where are the best places to find accommodation? Airbnb and Vrbo? Or are there other places we should be looking?

Start with https://en.lesarcs.com/services-real-estate/ then phone up the individual immobiliers and talk to them. They speak English
Quote:

Are we stupid for focusing on Paradiski?

No, but then I'm biased. I have an apartment in 1600.

If I was going for a single trip of 6 weeks I'd go after the school holidays on March 8th until mid April or split the trip between January and mid march.
latest report
gendal wrote:
Apologies if it sounds like I'm gatecrashing this thread, but I was about to start one asking basically the exact same question. We're also likely to be able to spend 6 weeks or so in the Alps this coming season, probably Feb 1/2 - March 15/16.

We're currently thinking we might base ourselves in Bourg St Maurice.

Rationale:

* We want to be in the Tarentaise
* But we might go crazy (and bankrupt) if we stayed up in a resort village all that time - so it needs to be a town
* Paradiski is the Tarentaise resort we've spent least time in so we're thinking that's where we should be close to
* Bourg is well located to drive to Val D'Isere/Tignes or the Three Valleys

The questions I'm currently mulling over and would value advice on are:

* Lift passes. Are there any deals/offers that allow holders of a Paradiski (say) season pass to access Val D'Isere/Tignes or The Three Valleys more cheaply?
* Where are the best places to find accommodation? Airbnb and Vrbo? Or are there other places we should be looking?
* Are we stupid for focusing on Paradiski? I ask this because I'm firmly of the view that the Three Valleys is the best ski area in the world... but we've been there a lot. So going to Les Arcs/La Plagne, which we've never visited since the year we learned to ski, felt like a good idea. But will I constantly be kicking myself for the choice? (This is going to be a one-time trip, taking advantage of a gap between jobs)

Thanks for any advice.

Paradiski is also a huge ski area. You won't get anywhere near to exhausting it
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You could do a lot of skiing with a tyrol card.... and spend a week in kitz, mayrhofen, ischgl amongst others
snow report
@Astontech,
Two people working from home? Then your most important requirement is a self-catering apartment with an excellent internet connection. Everything else in your choice of location follows that.
snow conditions
@gendal,
Avoid the French school half term if you can.
Could you do March into April?
DO stay in resort, rather than BSM - get the Seasonnaire vibe, just show money discipline.
Buy ex-rental skis, then if doing March-April buy new in the end of season sales. Use ex-rentals in future as sacrifice skis if visiting somewhere with thin snow.
Too early to say on deals between ski areas re cheap day passes - local politics!
Look on resort seasonnaire Facebook group pages for accommodation, eg Tignes Seasonnaires 2024.
Aslo ask on relevant resort threads on Snow Reports forum on Snowheads.
snow conditions
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
Langerzug wrote:
Astontech wrote:
Origen wrote:
15K for 6 weeks

And Verbier as well.

Seriously? I've stayed in all three places for far less than the OP's budget of 15k, regardless of currency. That's 357/night, not exactly a hostel budget.

Astontech, any of those places will be great, but I also think you should take a hard look at the Dolomites.

Where in the dolomites would you suggest that has a large ski area?
snow report
Also, an open question to all again: Is it a bad idea to just simply drive out the first week of Jan and decide where to go on a weekly/bi-weekly basis, dependent on where has good snow and look for last min accomm then?
snow report
Astontech wrote:
Also, an open question to all again: Is it a bad idea to just simply drive out the first week of Jan and decide where to go on a weekly/bi-weekly basis, dependent on where has good snow and look for last min accomm then?

It's certainly doable but you will probably pay significantly more in lift pass prices and possibly accommodation.
snow report
@T Bar, huge area passes in Austria and the dolomites
snow report
Personally I'd prefer to find a good base and stay there, trying to get under the skin of the place, and the skiing. Otherwise the experience would just be like a series of ski holidays, but with added work getting in the way! But that's a very personal view. I would have thought the OP's budget more than adequate to find a comfortable, well-located and well-equipped apartment - the sort of place where you'd be happy to spend night after night working and preparing yourself nice food and drink! But yes, avoid the French holidays if heading to France. One option might be to do three weeks in January/beginning of February, then go home (assuming that's the UK) and do another three weeks in March/early April. Avoiding the worst of the crowds (and highest accommodation prices) and experiencing "the season" vibe. You might find an apartment owner willing to do a very good deal on a very nice place, if they can still rent out their peak weeks at peak prices. Might need a recce visit this autumn - which would be great, in itself.
ski holidays
That would also enable you to get the most out of a season lift pass - but be aware that some need buying well in advance to get the best price.
snow conditions
Astontech wrote:

Easily doable in Austria, especially if you have something like the Tirol Snowcard. You can move around all the major ski areas then, plus try out some smaller places.

But, you need to work in the evenings and it'll be more risky around WiFi, although generally it's pretty good here, most places are functioning villages/towns beyond skiing.
ski holidays
@Astontech, IIRC Dolomiti Superski has over 400 lifts and 450 on-mtn restaurants spread over 12 linked ski areas. There are many, many villages and towns where you could stay...big ones like Cortina, small, quiet ones like San Cassiano, and everything in between. Biggest snowmaking system in the world, so you'll be ok even in a bad snow year. The skiing there is tailor-made for the two of you.

I see above you could split this into two trips. I'd do that: get your winter in January, then get some spring during the last two weeks of March (the only time I go to the Alps) when is sunny and comparatively deserted.
snow conditions
@swskier - thanks for putting the 'split it into two pieces' idea into our heads and @johnE for the vote in favour... definitely sounds like the way forward.

@kenzie - thanks for the perspective re staying in resort rather than BSM. My working assumption had been that staying in a resort is great if one is there for a week because it minimises wasted time getting to/from the snow and facilitates a holiday/party vibe (apres, etc). But if one is out for a longer period I was imagining that I'd feel less pressure/desire to make the most of every possible moment on the snow, and wouldn't begrudge the days I was expected to drive... at which point a town lower down the valley becomes relatively more attractive? (in terms of both price and ease of access to other resorts for variety?). But I must admit I hadn't actually checked the price differentials
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy