Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Passo Tonale vs Val Cenis or Serre Chevallier for Christmas?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there! I'm new here and I really need the community's help. Smile

I'm choosing a resort to go to for Christmas (unfortunately, school vacations and work leave no other option for now). We are all newbies with experience of 1 week last year in Val Cenis - 2 adults and a child of 9 years old. So need good blue runs, school for the kid and reliable snow from December 21 for a minimal budget.
Tentatively really like Passo Tonale, but my concern is that they still haven't released ski passes for sale and I can't figure out the skiing budget. Is this normal? Or is it really weird?
There is an option to go back to Val Cenis ( last year we were lucky to get snow there for Christmas). Or go to Serre Ch?
Or am I missing something and need to look in another direction altogether? Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mariah_pf, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I’ve not skied Val Cenis, so can’t provide a comparison with the other two ski resorts, both of which I have skied….one quite extensively.

Passo Tonale: absolutely ideal in terms of skiing terrain and easily accessible from the main town. For newbies, there’s little to fault, IMV. Plenty of gentle slopes and pistes that one can progress to as one gains more skill/confidence.

The town didn’t appeal to me, personally….thought it lacked some “alpine charm”.

Serre Chevalier: the natural bowl above Chantemerle (Serre Ratier) is the first station after taking the lift up from the village. It’s high enough to be pretty snow-sure and there are plenty of beginner runs, ideal for learning. The ski schools have a base here so getting to lessons/meeting up is very easy. There are also a number of bars/restaurants in that location.

The next station up the mountain also offers some great beginner/improver pistes.

Downloading at the end of the day would be strongly recommended. The pistes back to Chantemerle can be busy - one is a black, the other a winding track, marked green that can get very chopped up….not easy!

Much as I’m a big Serre Che fan (I learnt to ski there and have returned 5/6 times), it’s a big area and I’m not sure, given your experience level, you’d get the most out the ski pass and cost. However, the villages are charming, Briancon old town is well-worth seeing and the scenery is breathtaking.

I’m sure others will be along with a better insight to the comparison with Val Cenis.

Good luck, whatever.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tonale is bleak and not the prettiest.
Serre Che has a big of charm - churches and stuff.
Briancon is a beautiful town.
you also get tree lined skiing and a big vertical.

Downside of Serre Che is the lift system wasn't the greatest when I went but that was years ago.
Great terrain though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lots of recent lift upgrades in Serre Chevalier so nothing to worry about there. Good English-speaking ski instructors for lessons. Nice French mountain charm in the older parts of the villages. Spa baths up at Monetier-les-Bains for apres relaxing. There is plenty of snowmaking for lower slopes if the natural stuff is thin on the ground.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’d certainly rule out PT at that time of year, it can indeed be bleak. VC is going to be cheaper and a little more beginner/family friendly, but SC bigger and much more likely to have a good atmosphere for the festive period.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, it looks like Serre Chevalllier is pulling into the lead. How snow confident is he?
PT, in general, has been shortlisted also because of the season that starts in November (if they even start selling ski passes wink ).
And in Val Cenis, for example, they don't open the slopes until December 15.
Don't tell me that for snow guarantee you should go in February, I'll tell myself that Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mariah_pf wrote:
Well, it looks like Serre Chevalllier is pulling into the lead. How snow confident is he?
PT, in general, has been shortlisted also because of the season that starts in November (if they even start selling ski passes wink ).
And in Val Cenis, for example, they don't open the slopes until December 15.
Don't tell me that for snow guarantee you should go in February, I'll tell myself that Very Happy

There must be some info about on last season's pricing at Tonale. Just add 5% to give you a rough idea.

There you go! wink

https://www.pontedilegnotonale.com/en/ski-pass-and-ski-lifts/pontedilegno-tonale-ski-passes/
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
luigi wrote:

There must be some info about on last season's pricing at Tonale. Just add 5% to give you a rough idea.

There you go! wink

https://www.pontedilegnotonale.com/en/ski-pass-and-ski-lifts/pontedilegno-tonale-ski-passes/

Thank you! Now I see it ))
So for this season we expect the ski pass price in PT about 300-310 euro for 6 days.
Unless it promises better snow conditions in late December than SC and Val Cenis, I'll leave it alone for now and put it on my "come back sometime in February/March" list Eh oh!

Are there any inexpensive resorts in France better in terms of snow guarantee and atmosphere in December, newbie friendly than SC and Val Cenis? Maybe we should look at Montgenevre?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We’re experienced but not great skiers. We skied Serre Chevalier for a week at the end of last January in mediocre conditions. We’ve skied over 70 ski areas all over the world and for an around experience I would rate Serre Chevalier in the top 5. I hope I get it in good conditions next time.
Go to SC.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you go to Tonale stay down in Ponte Di Legno. Nicer historic town. Bad weather/ vis skiing on tap. Easy gondi ride up to Tonale.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For your 2nd week of skiing ever stick with what you know, go back to Val Cenis as you know the area which will help you progress, it’s cost effective and easy to get to. Have never had a problem with snow at Xmas there.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tonale use dynamic pricing for their lift passes, though not with Oasis style gouging, so you can usually save a bit if you book the passes in advance. It certainly is uncharming (a road, a few car parks and a scattering of hotels and apartments) but is excellent for beginners. As others have pointed out Ponte Di Legno is more charming.

It does have the advantage of being high but with the exception of the glacier run, which is steep and can be scrapey and shaded, all the other skiing tops out at 2500 so its not really as high as you think.

But I still think its a good cheap option for beginners.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Serre Chevalier.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Having been in all 3, this is a no-brainer.

1. Serre Chevalier. As good as Val Cenis, but sunnier. Bit further driving though, but Lautaret pass is OK under normal circumstances. Jest don't get caught in that 2-3 blizzards per season.
2. Val Cenis. Also nice old town, woodlands and pastures, nice area. Easier to reach, almost entirely motorway, and you miss the endless queues up the Tarentaise.
3. Passo Tonale. I would not know one thing that is better than the previous ones. Maybe espresso is cheaper, but that does not determine where I go skiing.

You missed the best resort though: Valloire.
It has all the positive points on Serre Chevalier, is much easier to reach, AND is in the sun even in mid winter.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sbooker wrote:
We’re experienced but not great skiers. We skied Serre Chevalier for a week at the end of last January in mediocre conditions. We’ve skied over 70 ski areas all over the world and for an around experience I would rate Serre Chevalier in the top 5. I hope I get it in good conditions next time.
Go to SC.

I already want to see it. And I hope we will get some early season snow this year Very Happy
latest report
Onnem wrote:
Having been in all 3, this is a no-brainer.

1. Serre Chevalier. As good as Val Cenis, but sunnier. Bit further driving though, but Lautaret pass is OK under normal circumstances. Jest don't get caught in that 2-3 blizzards per season.
2. Val Cenis. Also nice old town, woodlands and pastures, nice area. Easier to reach, almost entirely motorway, and you miss the endless queues up the Tarentaise.
3. Passo Tonale. I would not know one thing that is better than the previous ones. Maybe espresso is cheaper, but that does not determine where I go skiing.

You missed the best resort though: Valloire.
It has all the positive points on Serre Chevalier, is much easier to reach, AND is in the sun even in mid winter.

Hmm... Valloire... I've heard of this resort, but haven't studied it closely. It looks pretty good. Looks like the choice will determine the range of availiable housing.
And I'm right to try to move my trip from Christmas week to New Year's week, right? Would that increase the chances of good snow? Or am I more likely to get queues at the lifts and crowds on the slopes in the New Year?
snow report
Valloire is magnificent. Especially, when the famous Armera piste is open

http://youtube.com/v/kFulG8E85Zc
ski holidays
Op verkenning in Valloire from wintersport.nl
https://vimeo.com/213691471
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy