Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Staying at Kleine Scheidegg for four nights over New Years

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I can't seem to find much about staying at the Bergrestaurant Kleine Scheidegg (train station hostel). I'm booked with my family for four nights including new year's eve. If anyone has any experience staying over at KS, please let me know what you thought. I am wondering if we should stay at Wengen instead.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, and a warm welcome to Snowheads!

Staying for a night at Scheidegg is a nice novelty if you want to be up early for a ski or a climb. The hostel is nice enough and the food is good. However, I think 4 nights is far too long. It’s only 22 minutes on the train from Wengen to Scheidegg and there's lots more going on in Wengen. There is absolutely nothing to do at Scheidegg after dark, and at New Year the days are short and the temperatures are (hopefully) very low at that altitude.

Staying in Wengen is a much better proposition.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@montclairmom, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

I agree with @telford_mike, there's nothing to do at Kleine Scheidegg after dark, Wengen is a much better place to stay with the bars and shops, and there'll be a free firework display in the centre of the village at midnight on New Year's Eve to celebrate the New Year. If you can cancel your existing Kleine Scheidegg booking and get a full refund I'd suggest you see if you can get accommodation in Wengen (New Year will be busy with many people already having booked). For the last few years I've stayed at the good value hotel Edelweiss, other hotels I've stayed at are the Alpenrose, the Falken, the Victoria-Lauberhorn (which has a nice spa and pool facility) and the Bernerhof.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you both so much for your advice. Based on it we are now renting a place in Wengen! Hey if you have any advice on where the best New Year’s Eve restaurants and parties are, I’m all ears. I have four college-age kids and I’m sure they’d appreciate it. Thank you again.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@montclairmom, for restaurants most of the hotels I mentioned have good food especially the Edelweiss, Alpenrose, Bernerhof restaurant if you can make a booking, also the Bären adjacent to the Edelweiss, or Da Sina restaurant.

For your college age kids after the evening meal they may want to party in the Hasenstall. No 21 year age limit for alcohol in Switzerland! (or the rest of Europe for that matter, in Switzerland I think it's 16 for wine and beer, and 18 for high strength spirits Madeye-Smiley )
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@montclairmom, by the way as your location is given as the US will you be flying into Zurich or Geneva airports? If so then if you don't already know, the Swiss railways SBB do a Saver Day Pass. It's valid for the entire Swiss network and is totally flexible for travel on that day, i.e you're not restricted to a particular time train, so that's useful if your flight arrival should be delayed. So it will cover you all the way from your arrival airport to Wengen. It goes on sale 6 months before the date of travel and increases in price as you get closer to the travel date. Without the half price travel card which you probably won't have the price can be as low as 52CHF.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alastair Pink thank you! re: SBB. Big help! I just calculated how much you've saved me I owe you a drink.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@montclairmom, I don't know if you're an experienced traveller to Europe but one other thing you may not be aware of is that the tipping culture in restaurants in Europe is different to that in the US where because of the low hourly rate it's expected that you tip servers about 20%. In Europe service is usually included, so if you do choose to leave a tip it's going to be for a significantly smaller amount.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@montclairmom, also I see you said you are renting a place in Wengen. When you arrive at Wengen station if your accommodation isn't close to the station you can take a taxi from there with your luggage, there's taxi contact details given here: https://wengen.swiss/en/services/guest-information.html. Once you get on the final mountain railway train from Lauterbrunnen up to Wengen (the journey takes about 12 mins) you can call them on your mobile phone to let them know you'll be arriving at Wengen station shortly.

If you're self catering in an apartment then there are two supermarkets in Wengen. The larger one is the Co-Op directly opposite the train station, the other is the Dorflade on the main street.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy