Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just got back from Chile and Argentina

Poster: A snowHead
I was in Santiago from July 29th to August 8th and in Bariloche from August 8th to 14th.

What a terrible season! Very high temperatures.

Of the 3 big resorts in Santiago - Colorado, La Parva and Valle Nevado - only Valle was saved, given its very high elevation (3000m >) and its terrain less facing the sun. On the 30th we skied at 13ºC on the mountain...

In Bariloche we only had one day with some powder (10cm), and the rest of the days there was a lot of rain and temperatures between 4 and 9 ºC. Wind closure was also a problem.

That's it. Global warming is here to stay. They said it was the hottest winter in history in Santiago. I don't doubt it. In the city it was 25 ºC for about a couple of days and we went for a walk in shorts and T-shirts.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gutting

All about timing

Things are picking up as I type

In my experience, 14 Aug - 14 Sep is a more consistent window
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I aint got guts for heat waves, but this one was the worst in history - https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2023/08/02/southamerica-record-winter-heat-argentina-chile/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@landi, yeah, that's my experience of Chile this year, everything is too warm, because of climate change, El Niño or both I will let others argue. This is my last trip here due to expense and not wanting to contribute to GW and I love SA skiing.

@Mike Pow, The storm front looks good, but the freezing levels are way higher than in previous years.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I got 2 days of rain in Cerro Catedral (Bariloche)

It rained all day at base level and on the middle level. Can you believe that? Only when we reached peak (Nubes and Punta Nevado) did it start snowing.

I got soaked. Ive never snowboarded like that. Freaking rain in mid-winter? Its supposed to be cold AF.

I feel kinda tricked cause I double checked stuff on snow-forecast and all

That was my 3rd season in Bariloche and Im done, even though its the largest resort in LATAM

Valle Nevado I might give another chance. PROS OF VALLE: empty on weekdays, no wind at all, snow piste resilience CONS: $$$$, no freaking snow falling from sky, TBARs everywhere (no chair lifts)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
landi wrote:
I was in Santiago from July 29th to August 8th and in Bariloche from August 8th to 14th.

What a terrible season! Very high temperatures.

Of the 3 big resorts in Santiago - Colorado, La Parva and Valle Nevado - only Valle was saved, given its very high elevation (3000m >) and its terrain less facing the sun. On the 30th we skied at 13ºC on the mountain...

In Bariloche we only had one day with some powder (10cm), and the rest of the days there was a lot of rain and temperatures between 4 and 9 ºC. Wind closure was also a problem.

That's it. Global warming is here to stay. They said it was the hottest winter in history in Santiago. I don't doubt it. In the city it was 25 ºC for about a couple of days and we went for a walk in shorts and T-shirts.
Many thanks for sharing - v useful.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Absolutely chucking it down in Portillo

Santa Rosa kicking in

Portillo calling it The Storm of the Decade

70cm already, 2.5m on the way

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwJBXifq-4E/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm flying back from Santiago to Manchester with Delta, which means a 12-hour wait at Atlanta on the way home (fares were cheap...). If I leave the airport will I have an ESTA issue? Don't need one currently as straight through on way out...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wiigman, Yes, as you will clear immigration and enter the USA Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Might as well have my tuppence ha’penny worth.

Just got back from a week in El Colorado / La Parva. Plenty of snow (it’s been a good season) - just goes to show that you can’t draw conclusions about global warming from a single season! We even found the odd stash of powder.

We stayed in El Colorado at the Aparthotel which is decent.

Lift ticket system is a bit of a mess with separate passes needed for El Colorado and La Parva / Nevada. Kind of nuts since it’s all rlly just one big area.

Accommodation extremely expensive, although this was August, so that might’ve been a factor. Think Verbier rather than Andora.

Skiing was actually really good with the best part of 1000 m of vertical. Pistes in excellent condition. Lifts a bit slow in places and a lot of pomas and tee bars, but I actually prefer that to French style mega lifts. Also, really nice free ride terrain. And some challenging stuff if you look hard. We even got to ski the chimney of Parva which certainly gets the adrenaline flowing (45 deg couloir).

Weather was a bit dull with lots of cloudy days, but I suspect that was exceptional.

Really easy access from Santiago. Straight forward drive of no more than an hour and a half.

One thing to bear in mind is that there are basically no retail facilities in any of these resorts. Even buying food is a challenge (just one pitiful mini market in Colorado) and forget about getting ski accessories. I needed some mittens/gloves and the local ski shop had exactly 3 pairs (I kid you not!!)
Anything you need, you’ll pretty much have to bring with you.

All that said, had a fun time and purely in skiing terms the area compares well to a mid-size alpine resort. Not sure I’ll go back as it’s such a long way, but I don’t rule it out.

Plus, we got to see a condor!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Excellent
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Davidgdg, thanks so much for the excellent current info. Great news re La Parva/Chimney - will aim to tick that one off when there in 10 days. Did you drive/hire car or get the bus from Santiago - not totally decided on this yet. Passes - yes, I hear Parva and VN will be on the same one next year which will help. Best to just buy at window or in advance cheaper anywhere? Can't really see much info re this. Thanks again, as my first time. Like you, probably won't return (due to £ vv skiing) but you never know!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We drove from the airport. Easy and spectacular drive. I don’t think there is a bus service, but there are apparently private shuttles rather like the Geneva Chamonix shuttle.

The situation regarding passes is that you can buy a joint la Parva / Nevada pass but if you use any of the Colorado lifts, then you’ll have to get a separate pass for there (so you would need to ski down to Colorado). It’s not a big issue, but it obviously adds to the cost. I’m not sure if it’s possible to get an all area pass at all, but you certainly can’t for just a day Eh oh!

The chimney is about a 45 minute/1 hour hike from the top lift. The hike is straight forward and it’s reasonably easy to find the access. The top section is definitely pretty steep - maybe over 45° - and it would be useful (though perhaps not essential) to have something like an ice axe or ski poles without loops to dig into the snow for security to get into the couloir. Thereafter it mellows out to maybe just under 45° and we had some nice snow. It’s not a no fall zone but it’s definitely fairly serious steep skiing along the lines of some of the stuff in La Grave.

Enjoy!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Valle Nevado's high elevation saved the day, but still... 13°C on the mountain? Crazy!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As has been the case all season, the Lake District region which straddles the Chile and Argentina border has seen the best and most consistent conditions
snow report
I really don't see the point to travel from Europe to SA to ski/ snowboard. It makes no sense plus you're adding to GA for no reason other than to tick off a box and possibly your own ego. There's nothing there that would warrant any one to travel to to see or say the skiing was exceptional enough or diverse enough to go to. Plus the ridiculous turbulence I've heard about makes me wonder what's the point. Cultural factors might be interesting but we're all adding to the decline of glaciers and freak weather by doing so so I would be an advocate of staying in your own region or thereabouts. We might not have long to enjoy the winters so we should be more considerate imv.
snow conditions
I guess having children could be "inconsiderate", in your thinking? Which has the bigger climate effect - southern hemisphere travel or children?
snow report
Gainz wrote:
I really don't see the point to travel from Europe to SA to ski/ snowboard. It makes no sense plus you're adding to GA for no reason other than to tick off a box and possibly your own ego. There's nothing there that would warrant any one to travel to to see or say the skiing was exceptional enough or diverse enough to go to. Plus the ridiculous turbulence I've heard about makes me wonder what's the point. Cultural factors might be interesting but we're all adding to the decline of glaciers and freak weather by doing so so I would be an advocate of staying in your own region or thereabouts. We might not have long to enjoy the winters so we should be more considerate imv.

OK I'll play

You've obviously never been there

It's magnificent and I would heartily recommend everyone try it at some stage in their lives

Great people, food & drink, culture, scenery

The skiing is as good as anything you'll find anywhere in the world
ski holidays
@phil_w, that would depend on if you have a 'john conner' type or just more sheep.

@Mike Pow, id have to expect the skiing to be better than anywhere you'd find in the world otherwise why go? For culture hmm I get it I've travelled a fair bit over the years but we have spectacular skiing on our doorstep and I do warrant going to say Canada and the USA as the ease of access is much better. Going to Chile just to ski is insane Imv. Ok I wanted to play a little last night lol the last double bourbon did the trick!

Thinking about it more this morning is it fair to say we should cap distances travelled just to ski?
ski holidays
Gainz wrote:
@phil_w, that would depend on if you have a 'john conner' type or just more sheep.

@Mike Pow, id have to expect the skiing to be better than anywhere you'd find in the world otherwise why go? For culture hmm I get it I've travelled a fair bit over the years but we have spectacular skiing on our doorstep and I do warrant going to say Canada and the USA as the ease of access is much better. Going to Chile just to ski is insane Imv. Ok I wanted to play a little last night lol the last double bourbon did the trick!

Thinking about it more this morning is it fair to say we should cap distances travelled just to ski?

Is that you Sir Kier Starmer?

I didn't say it's better. I said it's as good as. The terrain is similar and very different. So too the views.

To me culture is everything outside of skiing. You know Chile things, Argentina things. People, food, wine, architecture, natural landscape, music, art etc.

Don't make yourself look more of a fool than you already have.

If you drive, take the train, fly to skiing; if you have equipment for skiing; if you use ski lifts; if you eat or drink on mountain then you're already part of what you perceive is the problem.

Where do you live? Where do you ski?
snow report
Gainz wrote:

Nope.
snow report
grig919 wrote:
Valle Nevado's high elevation saved the day, but still... 13°C on the mountain? Crazy!

I’ve skied in the mid 20s on Christmas Day before! It’s not too uncommon to find those temps at various times during a season in lots of places.
ski holidays
Jnr’s been in St Martin for most of the season - to ski and visit friends. Conditions haven’t been great on the whole. He went to Bariloche last weekend (and a few days before) and it was a bit better. This week however, it’s snowed an ok amount and got much better. It’s got quite a bit colder too.
latest report
Tell him to get over to Chillan

It’s pumping
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:

How so? Was a thought I had which reflects many peoples views on travel and particularly holiday travel covering great distances.
latest report
Gainz wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

How so? Was a thought I had which reflects many peoples views on travel and particularly holiday travel covering great distances.

Look at the situation and type of travel and recreational holidays we're discussing

And consider answering the questions I asked of you
snow report
Cripes!
ski holidays
I think there's a section here to discuss stuff like climate change.

I like South America, but if you ban me from there I guess I'll go to NZ. Or go surfing in Hawaii, or Costa.

A lot of internet people have this concept of "best"; that's flawed. Everywhere is different, and I'd rather ride in a variety of places to exploit that difference. This is why I don't live in any one ski resort.

FWIW the mountains in Chile are very different, and the snow too is quite unique.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 25-08-24 19:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mike Pow, I have but he’s not biting! Something to do with his girlfriend… Puzzled
ski holidays
Gainz wrote:

If you want to reduce the global warming effect of skiing then reduce the transport per ski day carbon cost ie go skiing for a season. Have you done this, Gainz?
Outside Europe I've summer skied in Canada, and winter skied in Chile and New Zealand - want to have a pop at me for doing so?
snow report
I seem to have ruffled a few feathers which wasn't my intention so I'll leave it there and let you kids enjoy the original thread.
snow conditions
 Joint01
Joint01
I haven’t had the chance to ski in Argentina yet, but it sounds like quite the experience, even with the weather challenges so I would like to know how do the ski resorts in Argentina compare to those in the Alps in terms of terrain and overall experience?
ski holidays
As a general observation

Smaller in terms of number of lifts, listed terrain, number of runs

Similar to the medium size resorts in Italy

Easy access to sidecountry and backcountry off-piste terrain

Less slope side accommodation, certainly south and east of Santiago

Resorts like Chilean 3 Valleys and Portillo have ski-in ski-out
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy