Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snakes in the mountains

Poster: A snowHead
Two weeks ago we spotted this viper (about 18 inches long) on a walk. That was the first time I’d seen a snake in the mountains. I’ve seen 2 since…one of which took up (hopefully temporary) residence under our freezer in the garage for a few days, and yesterday another crossing a road. My reading tells me they’ve been protected since 2021. I’m curious to know if anyone else has seen them, and whether sightings have got more common.

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have had it with these motherf***ing snakes on this motherf***ing montagne.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ha! Never seen the movie, @Dave of the Marmottes, but I expected my post to provoke a few Snakes on a Plane references! Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FWIW I suspect snakes are always with us. Same as grassland/heath in England. Whether you see them or not depends on numerous factors like daily temperature, their desire to sun themselves and your desire to turn over sheets of old metal etc.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you talk to rock climbers (as opposed to high alpine/glacier), you may find they happen upon snakes more often than other mountain visitors due to sharing their terrain – sunny rocks – a bit more closely. I've seen a few slow worms, which I did initially think were snakes due to never having seen one before, but no actual snakes. Plenty of lizards though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
She's a cool little critter.

Doing a spot of sunbathing.

Snakes in France are in longterm steep decline.

Just leave them be.

As always, they are more scared of you, than you of them.

This is a good read.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/practical/which-snakes-are-in-france-and-where/412684
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A good few years ago I came eye to eye with an adder when doing a bit of work on a bank in the garden. I got down and ran very exitedly to the house for a camera; "There's a snake, there's a snake!". Wife and child mocked me mercilessly for ages for being a scaredy-cat and running away from a lil ole snake. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quite a few years ago I saw a snake very late skiing season from the chairlift in Monetier.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I saw a big grass snake the other week when I was out walking the dogs. Luckily they didn't see it. It must have been about four feet long. It was sunning itself on a path between two hedges near the river.

I can't remember seeing a snake in the mountains but there were always loads of lizards in Seefeld in the summer.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Very common, and many a dog has to go to the vet for emergency treatment as @KenX will testify to!

Cycling around you see many squashed on the road.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My last dog was twice bitten on his paws by adders, Cornwall coastal footpath in May hunting rabbits under gorse patches.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BoardieK wrote:
My last dog was twice bitten on his paws by adders, Cornwall coastal footpath in May hunting rabbits under gorse patches.

Hunter became the hunted.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We have grass snakes (I'm pretty certain they are grass snakes) under our decking, together with a collection of shed skins around 1m long.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We've seen a couple when out walking near Monetier, once having spent the last 20 minutes of the walk discussing the said European viper which was basking in the sun at the side of the track.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Weathercam wrote:
Very common, and many a dog has to go to the vet for emergency treatment as @KenX will testify to!

Cycling around you see many squashed on the road.

Absolutely! Our 11 year-old cocker spaniel was bitten by a viper which was cooling itself in a muddy puddle she walked through, she collapsed almost immediately and almost died (only 10kg), luckily straight to the vets, kept overnight on fluids etc and is still with us, lots of cats and dogs get bitten every year here by vipers, just yesterday a hiker in La Grave was hospitalised due to a viper bite......
snow report
We see a few vipers (Kreuzotter) hereabouts, typically on South-facing mountain areas. The mountain behind us is North facing so it’s not so common in our village.

I did, however, find what seems to be locally called a Black Rat Snake, in our sitting room a couple of years ago! About 1m 20cm long. That was a bit of a shock, though that year there had been a significant increase in rat populations in rural areas, which might have explained why it was passing through Shocked
snow report
I thought the vipers in the Alps had been protected for a while now. I know they banned the practice of catching them and drowning them in a bottle of Genepy to improve the smoothness of said digestif.

That said you can still get a glass of the Vipre in Tignes…..
ski holidays
Adders like the one in the photo are fairly common around Salzburgerland. I probably see one or two each summer sunning themselves on rocks, but they tend to slither off as soon as they detect someone is around. Lizards are really common - there are a few sunny spots where they are almost guaranteed to be seen.
snow report
Seen a couple in UK. Very rarely see a ring snake/grass snake basking in Germany.

See loads of slow worms around here. Was actually quite surprised how large some can grow. Saw one recently when MTBing and thought I was about to run over a snake, since it was much larger than most of those I see. They love to bask right in the middle of cinder track.

Loads of lizards too, usually scampering along stone walls.
Often hear rustling in the forest, not loud enough to be a blackbird, stop walking expecting to see some kind of tiny rodent and it'll often be some lizardy/salamandery type of thing.
ski holidays
BoardieK wrote:

funny almost stood on one nr Boscastle this May, then in my hurry to move my feet out of the way tripped over and as I landed nearly put my hand on it Fortunately they move quite quickly
snow report
@richb67, nearby Rocky Valley was one of the locations.
snow conditions
Was splitting wood the other day when a 6 feet long Montpellier viper slid out from the back of the pile shortly followed by another , get them all the time in Guillestre . Cat loves playing with the scorpions we have in the garage . Mountain life ,don't know how they survive the winters .https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malpolon_monspessulanus
snow report
Never knew there were snakes in the mountains there. I live in the mountains and all I have to worry about is parrots eating my Internet Very Happy
ski holidays
Useless piece of info: Adder, orginally Nadder. Apron, orginally Napron.
snow report
Perhaps these are the snow snakes that trip you up in the winter Puzzled
ski holidays
We were hiking round a lake in Alsace and there was steep rocky sections that you needed to use your hands on. A young lady in front was struggling but her boyfriend urged her on. When she saw the sign about basking snakes she started crying and had a meltdown. The boyfriend was sooooo in the doghouse.
snow conditions
I just let my wife go ahead in areas where the snakes could be.
ski holidays
No Style wrote:
I just let my wife go ahead in areas where the snakes could be.

The old advice is to go first because...

the first person wakes up the snake, the second annoys it and the third gets bitten
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BoardieK, this was on the path up to the coastguard watch point just north of rocky valley
snow conditions
We found one snake in Yorkshire recently, after close investigation, it appeared to be legless lizard Smile
snow report
From today's Connexion

Snake bites sleeping tourist in Pau after sliding into his T-shirt
The man was taking a nap outside in grass in the Aspe Valley. It is thought he may have moved and scared the snake, which was probably seeking shade.

A holiday-maker was left in a critical condition after being bitten by a snake that slid into his T-shirt as he took a nap outside in south-west France.

The man, 49, stopped for a siesta on grass near Lescun, Béarn, a popular destination for summer tourists, while on a walk with family on Sunday (August 11).

Whilst asleep the snake slid into his T-shirt, most likely seeking refuge from the sun. It then bit him on the chest, giving the man an anaphylactic shock, as he proved to be severely allergic to the snake’s venom.

It is thought he may have moved and scared the snake.

Emergency services called to the scene had to stabilise the man before transporting him to hospital in Pau via helicopter.
ski holidays
A very very unlucky chap?!?
snow report
Given he was in the Aspe Valley, he'd have been well advised to look out for snakes ...
ski holidays
Quote:

Whilst asleep the snake slid into his T-shirt

Cunning creatures, aren't they?
snow report
Lol.

Clue is in the name.

Snake valley.

At least the asp was not on his car.

That would be a windshield viper.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy