Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3V lift passes 2024-25

Poster: A snowHead
Having dropped free skiing for over-75s a year or two ago, they are now dropping the discount for 65+ as well. And the Tribu discount for 3+ identical passes.

Unless you qualify for a family pass (ie have children with you) all adults 18-74 will now pay the full price. €395 for 6 days. Ouch!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
6 day Salzburger Superski Pass €381.
6 day Dolomiti Superski Pass €402 (incl discount!).

No lie-ins, kids!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Klamm Franzer wrote:
No lie-ins, kids!
Indeed!

So remember the old maxim:
It’s the early bird …that catches an edge on the corduroy!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Or more on topic:
Early to bed and early to rise makes an man healthy, wealthy and wise
…forgiving the 300yo sexism, apparently rife at the time, I think the various resorts must all have looked at their turnstile logs, noticed the number of 65-75yos hammering the pistes from morning to night (OK, mid-afternoon where there’s no illuminated slopes), day-in, day-out, and wondered “How much money have *they* gotPuzzled

The answer being “Around €400 per weekSkullie
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So with France, Austria, & Italy all setting their prices - does this mean we’ll get buttons ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
At least it'll prevent the "do I get an EoSB discount because I qualify for a cheap pass" posts.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is this gradual creep into the N American might as well buy a season pass model?

For around $1000 you can buy a full Epic pass and get 7 days in 3V, 7 in Skirama Dolomiti and a season pass for Andermatt and Crans Montana. Plus N American skiing of course if you take a trip.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tignes are charging €426 for 6 days Shocked

Meanwhile, in the next door Maurienne valley you can pay €183 for 6 days in 6 resorts. Or you could have paid 399 CHF for a Magic Pass with 80 resorts.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A Les Arcs season pass will cost us over 65s €573. Another 80 or so brings in priority lanes and La Plagne as well. Break even is abut 13 days skiing. I think it's good value.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
And La Rosiere currently advertising a flash sale on for their season pass at €459 instead of €765
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ecureuil, i know this will be an unpopular opinion on this site due to the demographics but I have to say I completely understand why they've dropped it. The original idea was that more mature skiers would be less physically capable of skiing every day so they would only use their passes lightly. Nowadays (as many on this forum prove) more mature skiers are far fitter than the previous generation and they obviously have loads of free time so they are using the lift system far more than people of working age. Only seems fair that prices should reflect that.

My views on this may change in 20 years time mind you.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@monkey, Actually I have to agree. Why I got a discounted lift pass when my then student son didn't baffled me. In fact I'm generally baffled why there are so many perks for older people and not for the young. In addition to the discounted lift passes there are in the UK

No national insurance payments.
Lower entry prices to many attractions (in Grenoble recently we got into a museum for free, younger people had to pay)
rail cards
free bus passes
Inflation linked pensions whereas many salaries don't keep up with inflation.
Cheeper hair cuts (I cannot fathom the reason for that one)
The list goes on.

As far as I can see the only increased cost is insurance.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agree that there are some over-65s who still ski all day, but not convinced that the average70 year old is skiing as much as the average say 45 year old so a discount might still be justifiable.

I think it is as much to do with the fact that many passes are now bought from machines, where there is no opportunity to verify the age of the purchaser.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alpe D'huez still has huge discounts for 72+ and a smaller discount for over 65's.

They also offer a 10 day flexi card that suits me perfectly for the 2 weeks I'm there, as I normally look to have a couple of days off during the fortnight, especially if the weather is bad!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
monkey wrote:
The original idea was that more mature skiers would be less physically capable of skiing every day so they would only use their passes lightly.

No it wasn't. The original ski lift system was built as a JV between the lift company and the local commune. The local commune's part was paid for through local taxes so it was, in effect, a public lift system no different to a bus service. The over 75s free lift pass (used to be issued at a much lower age, 62 I think) was also issued in the same way as a free bus pass in the UK would be, at a certain age to locals only.

What f**cked it up was the EU's anti discrimination laws which said you can't only give a free pass to locals, it has to be everyone or no-one. So they gave it to everyone but kept pushing the age up because they were giving out far more than originally expected. Add to the mix the French drive for foreign tourist property investment through leaseback etc. of 20 odd years ago and you now have a load of retired property owning non-French seasonaires that can ski full time.

It's the imbalance of local vs foreign over 75s in conjunction with a stupid EU policy that has screwed the system. Personally, I see no issue with charging over 75 tourists a (reduced) fee but withdrawing the free pass from the locals is hiding behind EU policy to increase profits.
latest report
La Plagne 348eur for 6 days (see: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5318122

279eur if you are between 65 and 74 years old

then 10 eur over 75 years old
snow conditions
Vars Risoul ski area this season coming , my early discount ski pass 660 euros for 112 days . that's less than 6 euros per day Smile . Oh and that includes July and August free lift access
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
A Les Arcs season pass will cost us over 65s €573. Another 80 or so brings in priority lanes and La Plagne as well. Break even is abut 13 days skiing. I think it's good value.

"Think it's good value." Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

3 Valleys usually costs about €1500*... and I think that would still represent good value as we usually manage between 50 and 60 days there per season, plus a free week in Colorado.

Never mind good - €650 at Paradiski is fantastic value! Very Happy

*Mind, we received a hefty discount last season after signing up for a local ski club (thanks to this Forum wink ) and paid about €1050 each, which I thought was great value. Fingers crossed for a similar deal next season.
ski holidays
Last year I got a free lift pass at Serre Chevalier. Currently on line (last updated March 74) they are saying for 6 days €315, seniors (65-74) €287, over 75 free. Very nice, though like @monkey says, I don't really get why I deserve it. I am not as fit as I was but this affects walking uphill, rather than skiing using lifts. Perhaps they will change it next season.
snow report
@Bergmeister, and the good news was the “Ski Association” discounted 3V season pass worked in the summer (though we didn’t try it with bikes, the bike pass more in summer than a simple pedestrian pass). I think the Association offer is still planned for this coming season. However, it needs refinement for the over 75s, as they had to join the individual associations for each valley last winter, and then whip out the right pass depending on which valley they were in.
snow report
Perty wrote:
@Bergmeister, and the good news was the “Ski Association” discounted 3V season pass worked in the summer (though we didn’t try it with bikes, the bike pass more in summer than a simple pedestrian pass). I think the Association offer is still planned for this coming season. However, it needs refinement for the over 75s, as they had to join the individual associations for each valley last winter, and then whip out the right pass depending on which valley they were in.

Thanks Perty. That sounds promising!

Did you have a good trip to the Belleville Valley? We won't make it this summer, unfortunately Sad .
ski holidays
@Bergmeister, Lovely trip…thanks! And they say the 3V is too commercial….

ski holidays
@Perty, as the authority on all things St Martin.

We are staying there for the first time in Jan and staying in Lodji. I'll be driving my electric fun bus (ID.Buzz). I can pay to park in Lodji but is there alternative free parking, ideally close to a charge point?

Finally, for a number of reasons I won't be able to travel with my usually skis, I usually ski on my much loved Elan Wingman 86Ti. Where is the best place to hire from in St Martin to get something similar and that isn't beat up and seasons old?

Thanks!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy