Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine: indoor vs outdoor parking

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're fortunate enough to be considering a 3 week trip to Flaine (admittedly in January when prices are "cheap" - relatively, anyway). We'll be driving down as we have done for the last couple of seasons, partly becuase we're trying not to fly unless there's no practical alternative, and partly because a car will be useful to go to the big supermarkets in the valley and so on

Previously, we had underground parking in Ste Foy, and outdoor parking in Morillon, but not a huge amount of snow at resort level. We're obviously hoping for more snow up in Flaine, but you never know till it happens. We haven't really had any issues with snowfall so far - while snow has fallen, the snow tyres have been fine and I've not had to use the snow chains as yet.

We've currently got a choice of two apartments. One is down in Flaine forum, the other up in Foret, much closer to the slopes.

Forum works out about 650 pw, foret at 750pw. Covered parking in Foret is about €100pw. We can't (easily) book covered parking in Forum, so it's either the paid parking (€10 per day so €70 per week), or the free parking up at Col de la Piere Carrée. That's about a 10 minute drive, but we'd have to get the shuttle bus - does anyone know how long that take, and how early / late it runs?

Is it worth the extra for a (slightly) nicer apartment and the covered parking? Foret plus parking is about €600 extra over Forum plus free parking...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bus up to the col starts around 8.30am and ends around 5.30pm, it is around 10 mins up to the parking. It only runs from Foret so you have to take the funicular from Forum to Foret to take it. In Jan Flaine can get a lot of snow, buried cars aren’t unusual over the course of a week.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@nbt, wouldn't worry about slope access, no significant advantage for Forum or Foret as both are equally convenient.

Prefer forum for location as family, but really there's just that, preference, in it for choice. Main lift to top of ski area is in Forum, with main lift out to surrounding GM area skiing is in Foret. But transfer between the two, both skiing down to Forum, up the little autonomous lifts to Foret couldn't be more simple.

I'm not that worried about parking outside or in, especially if you're going to use the car to keep it from getting stuck etc. If you're a fuelled vehicle (not electric) then there's no fuel available up there, so plan to fill up for that eventually as nearest is down to near Cluses or over in the valley which Samoèns and Morillon are located. We couldn’t see any in Les Carroz either (have stayed in all of the various GM villages) forewarned and filled up its no prblem in range though.

If there's availability in apartment "Terraces d Eos" that too is good location. Walkable to Foret at about 500 mtrs or so, full underground parking, nicely built accommodation and ski in / out via dedicated piste and lift to access. Looks further away than it is to use in practical terms. Spectacular outside swimming pool too, with great view over mountains at night.

Big supermarkets are again a little further away, with drive to Samoèns valley for Careforre, Super U @ Taninges or down towards Cluses for the larger stores.

I and family really like visiting Flaine though, with excellent times spent there.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am in the underground parking is the best camp. Quicker starts wherever you’re going, warmer car, no exploding cans of frozen sprite that you left under the seat- the list goes on Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Am familiar with the area in general, we've done several trips to the GM staying in both Flaine and Samoens / Morillon, I was asking more about folks preference for parking. Can't say we'd use the car frequently, more like a once a week trip to do a Big Shop, so I think coverted parking might be the order of the day given the bus to the free parking is so limited - looks like it's aimed at day trippers rather than people staying in Flaine
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thoough I cannot be specific about Flaine I have parked at ski resorts in France manytimes both indoors and outdoors. There are pros and cons on each:

Outdoors
pros:
Usually cheeper or free
Usually easier to find.
Cons:
You may have to dig the car out so need to have a snow shovel (but you'd have one in the car anyway). In the past this has taken me over an hour in Les Arcs and required the use of an ice axe to remove the frozen ridge formed by the snow ploughs.
If you nip down to the valley shops it may be hard to find a new place.
Indoors
Pros:
It is easier to get moving at the end of the holiday
Cons:
The space may be tight to get into. In one car park in La Rossiere it took me almost an hour to squeeze into the space allocated. Even then I had to crawl out of the boot.
It may or may not be conveinent for accommodation.
It may cost more than on street parking.

Generally, I park on the street in Les Arcs and from March onwards it is no problem. I voted against the building of another covered parking place in Arc 1600. Actually, that is the only way to incease parking in the resort which is already suffering with a lack of parking spaces, but at 35,000€ per space I thought it was too expensive and better incentives for public transport should be considered.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
except Avoriaz always used outside parkings (didnt bother to look for covered in other resorts)
Flaine also...
Usually if there is snowing i walk till the car every second day, clear the auto from snow, and the area round the car with a shovel...so last day do not have to dig the car out

As johnE said, in Avoriaz took me almost 45min to manage to park in the space i found.

If money it is not a problme go for the coverd parking. However €600 extra is a lot of money.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you stay at Le Panoramic they have underground parking as well as a perfect on piste position.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy