Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Options April 2025

Poster: A snowHead
This might be unrealistic, but where can we go that would allow skiing this late in the season (5th/6th April week) - to coincide with Easter holidays. 5 year old will need to go into lessons & ideally need a crèche for a 6 month old, or at least ski in ski out so I can leave baby with dad for a couple of hours.

Am I stupid for considering this as an option or should I just let dad & 5 year old go by themselves (would need to be same week)? I did 3 weeks last season and I guess I’m still not over missing out…

Would we need to prebook or could last minute deals exist?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 6-08-24 21:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
More than possible but best advice is to go high and that means not cheap, like Val Thorens or Tignes.

You probably want to rebook not least for creche and kid's lessons capacity.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Rh2205, few options you could fairly reliably choose at that time of the year including:

Tignes
Val d'Isere
Val Thorens (probably most villages in the 3 valleys to be fair)
Les Arcs/ La Plagne
Avoriaz
Saas Fee

That's probably a decent set of choices, and i'm sure there's others too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Rh2205, guess you mean April 2025, NBT went to Tignes the first week of April 2024 and had a great week of skiing with 60cm of fresh snow. He booked last minute with a mate, but then they were two adults not needing childcare. Last minute deals will certainly exist, they may not be ultra cheap bargains but you will probably find something within easy reach of the pistes if you want to swap childcare between yourselves - if you want a creche then booking in advance would probably be better
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
we went to obertaurn this easter. hotel had a kids club/nursery with child care all day if you want it, true ski in ski out.
Ischgl has ski in options as well as obergurgl and soelden.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is Obertaurn always high enough at April? We did Austria for one of our trips this year & stayed in one of those kinder hotels with unlimited childcare like you probably suggesting. However after browsing the usual family tour operator outfits (just found out esspirit has now ceased trading too) I am somewhat shocked by the cost of school holidays!! I thought maybe Easter wouldn’t be too bad compared to February. Anyway 7k seems like a big cost for somewhere with mediocre hotels and food e.g. Neilsons holidays. Wondering about hiring or even buying a caravan but maybe that’s just as crazy and won’t save much, assuming any of these high resorts even have a campsite..
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rh2205 wrote:
Is Obertaurn always high enough at April? We did Austria for one of our trips this year & stayed in one of those kinder hotels with unlimited childcare like you probably suggesting. However after browsing the usual family tour operator outfits (just found out esspirit has now ceased trading too) I am somewhat shocked by the cost of school holidays!! I thought maybe Easter wouldn’t be too bad compared to February. Anyway 7k seems like a big cost for somewhere with mediocre hotels and food e.g. Neilsons holidays. Wondering about hiring or even buying a caravan but maybe that’s just as crazy and won’t save much, assuming any of these high resorts even have a campsite..

Usually, yes. Keep in mind that the weather in Austria differs from that in France. Typically, an elevation of 1,700 meters in Austria is equivalent to almost 2,000 meters in France.

For the past three years, we have been skiing during the Easter weeks in April. I found that Obertauern and Kühtai are the most expensive destinations at this time of year.

Three years ago, I received offers from Obertauern for an apartment at €1,200 per week (accommodation only). Kühtai was even more expensive.

Ultimately, I booked a week in Livigno for €1,850 for two adults and two children, including half board and ski passes. During the last weeks of April, Livigno offers ski-free packages.
With almost the same amount as in Obertauern (ca 1.400 Euro for a Week) i had a week in Avoriaz (this season) or la Plagne (last season) but for accommodation and ski pass
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
we paid £3200 in Obertauern for full board.
used hotels dot com and drove. The hotel was really good. literally out the boot room and on to the lift, indoor pool outdoor hottub, good sauna area. The food was brilliant. May seem alot but lunch on the mountain x7 days x 4 people. then add your child care cost(if you need it) I though was very good value
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rh2205 wrote:
Is Obertaurn always high enough at April?

I'd say so. I've skied tignes at Easter many times and conditions were pretty much the same.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Last s ask I went to Val d'isere on 18th April. Conditions were outstanding
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You can absolutely ski at that time. Probably 90-95% chance of glorious weather and sun but soft slushy snow; 5-10% chance of fresh snow. Very little chance of miserable January wind scoured hard pack.

For example this was 20th April this year in Kühtai (after the lifts had shut):

I don't know about France, but obvious places in Austria would the various glaciers, Ischgl, Arlberg, Obergurgl, Serfaus, Kühtai, Obertauern.

Re. crèche and ski in/out: personally I couldn't imagine leaving a 6 month old with random people in a creche! But you don't really need ski in/out to manage easily swapping who has ski time. In most resorts there are hire shops with boot rooms/ski storage at the base of the lifts, where you can meet and swap, and plenty of hotels within minutes walk of that. Lots of parents also just go up the lifts together and one hangs out and plays with the baby either in the sun at the top or in a larger restaurant area while the other skis for an hour or two then swap etc.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When I mentioned 7k I included all costs, but I presume you still had to add on a good chunk for ski passes even driving will probably be £700 so Austria is going to be best past of 5.5k self drive vs flights package, it’s a little bit cheaper than a Neilsons all in price and I expect the accommodation and food is better and I’d definitely prefer ski in ski out with kids it’s just too annoying any other way. That was one downside to our Serfaus kinder hotel this year I just didn’t like it’s location and the underground didn’t run one day so we had to walk with gear and a child on shoulders because you couldn’t book a taxis for the 800m distance.

Does Flaine still have skiing in April or is it wait and see? I liked our Christmas trip there this season as the hotel was basically on the slopes and it was cheap!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would also agree re. Leaving baby in crèche I hate using them, preference is realistically for somewhere right on the slopes that is somehow good value haha! Any other option is just too far, we have tried pretty much all options of ski trip with our current child & the ones right up in the mountain on the snow by the lifts and ski school have been by far the best, it’s just so much easier that way and I can imagine it will need to be even easier this time around if we are going to take a baby too… but good value might be an ask hence why I asked about Flaine conditions, plus I don’t really want to pay for a ski pass for a 5 year old and I know he’ll be free there!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Week beginning 5 April is not particularly late season as there are a number of higher altitude resorts which have at least three weeks before they close. Easter itself is very late in 2025, Easter Sunday is on 20th April so your chosen week doesn't include the bank holidays.

I've skied through until the end of April in Les Arcs for many years, and with one exception there has always been plenty of snow with the majority of the pistes still open. Although the snow can get a bit soft or slushy in the afternoons it's likely to be civilised temperatures, longer days and hopefully plenty of sun to enjoy sitting on restaurant terraces. If you are happy with self-catering accommodation there are plenty of choices in Les Arcs which offer ski in/out to make it easier to swap around for childcare duties.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
While Ischgl would have the snow it is targeted more as an adult than family resort. That doesn't mean children aren't welcome, just the resorts less geared up for them than some others so might not be the best choice from that PoV.

And while they may not be ski in/ski out a lot of Austrian resorts have gondolas from the heart of the village so you could either gondola down/baby swap at the bottom or gondola up with the baby/baby swap at the top, maybe over lunch (there's usually at least 1 restaurant at the top of the gondola too).
snow report
Bank holidays aren’t so relevant to us as I’ll be on maternity & husband runs his own company so just works when he wants to work including sometimes bank holidays! So I guess if first week of april is not considered particularly late then we will stick with this week to ensure we can maximise better value options. I have just never been skiing in April hence why in my head it seems late given how warm some March trips have been!

Definitely going to rule out any gondola options, as it’s why I didn’t enjoy our Austria trip this year quite as much as places like Flaine or Puy-St-Vincent (I believe Puy doesn’t often run beyond March given the tour operator we used before doesn’t have April). Any other recommendations for similar resorts that are still open in April is welcome, ideally with free ski passes for 5 year olds!
latest report
Take a look at Montgenevre - been a few times in April (later than the dates you stated), and always had decent snow conditions.
snow report
Went to les arcs 1st week of april this year. With our 5 year old. It was great with just about every run open. Booked for 2025 easter already 12th-19th april so later but sure it will be great
ski holidays
@Baron von chippy, my personal experience in Austria is to search for hotels through local websites.
Always cheaper and many owners don't bother to post their place on Booking due to the high commission
@turms2, is Livigno a decent place for advanced skiers that late in the season?
Obertauern was rather small for a week and we drove to Flachauwinkl for 2 slushy but excellent days
snow report
turms2 wrote:
Rh2205 wrote:

Usually, yes. Keep in mind that the weather in Austria differs from that in France. Typically, an elevation of 1,700 meters in Austria is equivalent to almost 2,000 meters in France.

For the past three years, we have been skiing during the Easter weeks in April. I found that Obertauern and Kühtai are the most expensive destinations at this time of year.

Three years ago, I received offers from Obertauern for an apartment at €1,200 per week (accommodation only). Kühtai was even more expensive.

Ultimately, I booked a week in Livigno for €1,850 for two adults and two children, including half board and ski passes. During the last weeks of April, Livigno offers ski-free packages.
With almost the same amount as in Obertauern (ca 1.400 Euro for a Week) i had a week in Avoriaz (this season) or la Plagne (last season) but for accommodation and ski pass

Who did you book livigno through? This seems very cheap, was it over school holidays?

Though I think we’d want a swimming pool so may veer towards booking flaine again given it’s £1100 for a self catered 2 bed apartment & haven’t found anything better value yet during that week. Admittedly once you factor in all the other extras it will be nearer 3k but I can live with that price for slope convenience and having a tiny bit more space staying in a 6bed. I mean cooking food is less of a big deal so what else am I going to be doing after only skiing 2hrs a day rolling eyes
ski holidays
@drporat, Hey steady up there amigo. You're trying to educate the hotel deal master. 1st place to look is on tourist website. then check with hotels dot com, then check booking dot com. Then on to quidco to see what % deals they have off with the booking sites. finally pay in full up front with 1% cash back card.
ski holidays
@Rh2205, if it was 3 years ago it was when most of Euro was on CV19 travel bans. UK skiers weren't allowed to the alps
latest report
Ah ok fair enough we did a few package tropical holidays then & I remember looking recently and the type of holidays we had have now more than doubled!!

I think I’m accepting that self drive with swimming pool and ski in ski out and an extra room is not going for much less than 3k when all extra costs are considered haha. And really think with a young baby and fairly young child convenient pool on site is a must.

Just really want confirmation that booking somewhere like Flaine for that week won’t be a terrible idea! I can’t find anything with the amenities we’d like for cheaper & I’m suprised by how many resorts seem to charge 5 year olds for ski passes, including avoriaz which is not even very far away.. maybe the skiing really is that much better than flaine!
ski holidays
@Baron von chippy, so you found cheaper prices for an Austrian hotel on Booking.com compared to their own website?
snow report
[quote="drporat"]@Baron von chippy, my personal experience in Austria is to search for hotels through local websites.
Always cheaper and many owners don't bother to post their place on Booking due to the high commission
@turms2, is Livigno a decent place for advanced skiers that late in the season?
Obertauern was rather small for a week and we drove to Flachauwinkl for 2 slushy but excellent days[/quote

I don't think that Livigno is much bigger than Obertauern. However, it has some nice red and black slopes, and I think the slopes are wider and longer. It was also a little bit slushy, but we found it really nice and cheap. It is tax-free and probably the only "big" ski resort where you can pay around 1.5 euros for an espresso.
a big disadvantage is that the last days of the season, the close some lifts, even if they have enough snow
snow report
Rh2205 wrote:
turms2 wrote:
Rh2205 wrote:

Who did you book livigno through? This seems very cheap, was it over school holidays?

Though I think we’d want a swimming pool so may veer towards booking flaine again given it’s £1100 for a self catered 2 bed apartment & haven’t found anything better value yet during that week. Admittedly once you factor in all the other extras it will be nearer 3k but I can live with that price for slope convenience and having a tiny bit more space staying in a 6bed. I mean cooking food is less of a big deal so what else am I going to be doing after only skiing 2hrs a day rolling eyes

i had many offrers from Livigno Web Site.
The hotel has a big jacuzzi-sauna and a small pool for kids + a kids room with a table tennis, and a playstation i think, thats why we booked this hotel.
The dinner was really good...Breakfast above average but not something "wow"

It was the second Easter Week. At least in Germany it was a school holiday week.
snow conditions
drporat wrote:
@Baron von chippy, so you found cheaper prices for an Austrian hotel on Booking.com compared to their own website?

yes several times I've found it cheaper on hotels dot com. plus with hotels dot com they give rewards. every 10th night with them you get a free night's stay to the value of the average over the last 10 nights. Quidco I've had an additional 10% back on hotel rooms as well. currently I'm in Schladning cheapest option this week was via tourist info site. Xmas this year saalbach tourist site. Feb next year kirchberg direct book Easter next year ischgl hotel dot com. It pays to check all options. Not all hotels put themselves on the tourist website
ski holidays
@turms2, we found obertauern small manage a powder day there. we had a day in Zauchesee and drove also drove over to Kaprun for a day also. Took over an hour to get there but was worth it. Fresh snow sunny day highup on the glacier. We skied the ski routes with the kids was magical.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Baron von chippy wrote:
@turms2, we found obertauern small manage a powder day there. we had a day in Zauchesee and drove also drove over to Kaprun for a day also. Took over an hour to get there but was worth it. Fresh snow sunny day highup on the glacier. We skied the ski routes with the kids was magical.

then i suppose avoid to go to Livigno...

On the other hand there are many freeride options + heli skiing ...
snow report
Quote:

Wondering about hiring or even buying a caravan but maybe that’s just as crazy

yes it is. Completely bonkers. Personally I suspect I'd be taking the 5 year old out of school and going in mid March, immediately after the end of the French school holidays. You will then have a much wider choice of ski in/out apartment and as you like the self-catering/pool/convenience combination that will always be cheaper than a hotel. And, for me, preferable too. I've no experience of using a creche (whether in a hotel or not) in France but I would advise booking well in advance for the 5 year old's lessons. One point to note is that in my experience (France) there might not be a great choice of kids lessons outside the big holidays (which don't include Easter). I am currently looking at lessons for kids of 4, 7 and 13 at Christmas and there is a wide choice of timings, and group sizes (the little groups obviously more expensive) then. We're just trying to work it out. We have skied in the same resort (Les Saisies) at Easter, when there's far less choice. Perhaps the big high-altitude resorts like Tignes would have more choice in April but really most French families have given up skiing for the year by then.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 8-08-24 13:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Rh2205, we stayed in La Tania for years when our kids were young, always easter or the very last week of the season. It's not high but it's north facing with quick access over to the higher areas, and also a fair bit cheaper. We always managed to ski down to La Tania every single year.

There is a beginners/kids area in the resort, or we also had the nannies meet us for lunch at the gondola with our youngest a few times. This is who we used:

https://www.familyfriendlyskiing.com/
latest report
Thanks will have a look at the other resorts. Les Saises I am concerned is even lower than flaine! Plus there’s two apartments with pools right on the slopes of Flaine and it just happens apartments are cheaper or same price in April than other off peak times of the year at present, even January or outside school holidays. I know from past searches only the more expensive places in Les Saises have pools.

I think I’ve just remembered I may have skied 4 vallees first week of April but obviously that has super high parts and I remember it was touch and go as to whether the baby slope for lessons would be open but then we were in la tzoumaz which is a bit lower and everything about the position of the baby slope is annoying so not keen to visit that resort with a baby.

How would the layout of a La plagne ski in ski out suit a super convenient family set up of all right in one place of lessons, slopes, swimming pool? As I know whilst not as cheap as Flaine it is ok value.

Basically after somewhere like Flaine or Puy-st-Vincent where everything is right there and the resort is still usually open for that first Easter week, I’m not adverse to Austria but it is really still quite a bit more expensive which doesn’t sound worth it to me when I’ll have a tiny baby in tow, self drive becomes even harder if flights are not good value and I’m not exactly going to be able to do loads of skiing!
snow conditions
@Rh2205, see above, staying lower down will be easier with the tiny baby as well.
ski holidays
I would have thought Flaine (the main area is about the same altitude as Les Saisies) would be a good bet, and it's the devil you know. A 6 month old is quite a good age - old enough to have become a bit predictable in their habits, and probably to settle quite well into a creche with strangers (provided they're used to this at home) but young enough to stay where they're put! 12 - 18 months is much more problematic.
snow conditions
I think flaine foret is 1700m so a slight improvement, but it’s also in a snow bowl and goes 500m higher so as I understand a more snow reliable resort anyway. I got the impression if snow is bad it will be bad in Les Saises. But this is just from reading this forum and I have no real experience having only been to Flaine!
latest report
Snow is unpredictable from place to place. Saisies always seems to have snow at least as good as anywhere around and sometimes better.
And I much prefer it, but then I'm biased! But Flaine is bigger and so there is a greater choice of accommodation and of skiing in the area. If you can get the accommodation you want at a reasonable price in Flaine I'd go for it. Kids really don't seem to mind slushy snow! I agree entirely with you about gondolas and swapping kids around.
snow conditions
Rh2205 wrote:

Does Flaine still have skiing in April or is it wait and see? I liked our Christmas trip there this season as the hotel was basically on the slopes and it was cheap!

Yes it does, spent the last two Easters there and had powder days both times!
ski holidays
You could risk waiting till last minute (but book flights well in advance if you're flying) but problem might be the ski lessons for the 5 year old. Would probably be OK if you're willing to be flexible about timing. If you drive you could knock the whole idea on the head without financial risk if conditions are really poor, of if your baby turns out to be particularly difficult.
ski holidays
I’ve found full board in flaine for £1400 not including other costs just food and room. Village club MMV le flaine, this isn’t actually much more than self catering, though I suspect food average as 3 star. Just not sure about staying in the main village area vs foret, seemed slightly more congested getting lifts from there vs foret, though this is probably negligible in reality, there wasn’t many proper queues in flaine unless you left for the wider grand massif and tried to get back in, which id probably not have time for!
ski holidays
That sounds a good buy, @Rh2205!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy