Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sending skis as parcel in Japan

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking to go skiing in Japan for the first time. Will probably to Tokyo (sightseeing) Hokkaido (skiing) Tokyo (sightseeing). I’ve read on some website sending skis by speed post is quite common in Japan (would probably save me on taking my skis on my Tokyo Hokkaido flights). I’m wondering if anyone has done it before. Any experience you could share eg if the delivery service is reliable?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@freethemind, I'm guessing you're thinking of the luggage forwarding services, particularly:
https://www.global-yamato.com/en/hands-free-travel/
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@freethemind, I used Yamato both times I've skied in Japan. At the airport in Tokyo go to the Yamato desk (other takubin are available) and forward your skis and ski baggage to your hotel in Hokkaido taking a tiny day bag with you for siteseeing in Tokyo. Allow 3 days for it to get to the hotel. It is reasnobly priced. We paid about £80 for 6 big bags. The hotels are set up to receive the bags. It is more or less expected.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As others have said we used Yamato too (there's JAL ABC too), we were in Shiga Kogen and had our ski bag sent to Tokyo Airport while we went sightseeing in Tokyo. when travelling by train we stood out as having luggage as the Japanese send theirs to the hotel in advance of their stay .
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you all.

Do you know if the hotel will receive my skis (say a day or two) before my arrival? I presume this would be the case given delivery service is so popular.

The only problem is that there's a length limit of 200cm. I think mine might be at or close to the limit (skis are 184cm and sportube will add another 10 or so cm).

I'm surprised by the prices. It's cheaper than me flying with the skis in the Tokyo - Sapporo leg. At this price I might even send my big suitcase up and get a seat-only fare.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It is extremely easy & cheaper than paying for checked luggage! Lots of Takuhaibin options, but I used Yamato. If I flew JAL, I would more than likely have used JAL ABC

Only snag - which wont affect you as you are sightseeing both sides - is that it can take 2-3 days from Tokyo to Hokkaido resort.

Most hotels will take the parcel & also send it for you after the trip (worth checking though!).
At worst, you collect/return it from another agent or convenience store or tourist information building, etc.

Tip - Share a suitcase for Tokyo, share a suitcase for Hokkaido (if there are 2 of you)
Store the Tokyo suitcase in the airport. Send the rest using Takuhaibin.
Practically hands free for most of your trip.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Japanese all send their luggage in advance, one hotel we stayed at had at least a dozen suitcases in the boot room and there were only four of us in the hotel.
Ours did the forms for us and arranged the collection.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you. I played around with the yamato link. So I can pick the return option and send my skis from Haneda Airport to the hotel in Niseko and for them to be sent back to Tokyo. However I can't quite tell where I could drop my skis off in Niseko. Will this be in the hotel (so a courier will come and pick it up) or will there be a special drop off point in Niseko?

In general how reliable are the delivery service? On my way there I will arrive Tokyo on Saturday 18 Jan going to Niseko on Tue 21 Jan (first day of skiing will be 22 Jan). I will leave Niseko on Wed 29 Jan and my plane from Haneda departs on Sat 1 Feb. So there are three days in between either leg. Is that enough time (their website seems to suggest in most cases it will only take two days). What happens if my skis don't arrive on the day I need to leave Japan?

Is the service trackable?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@freethemind,
Check with the hotel (if they allow drop off, they usually sort collection for you), if they do not do it, then you will need to take it to the visitor/welcome centre near the gondola.

For your arrival, Saturday early should be enough time to arrive on Tuesday. Your hotel will have years of experience (hopefully) & be in a better position to ask. A lot depends on your flight times. As long a there are no delays (eg last year Haneda closed due to the plane accident), then you should be fine.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Gored, thanks for your quick reply!

I’m more concerned about my return leg as if my skis somehow got delayed I’d be leaving Japan without them. Come to think about it it must have happened to others before (although probably rarely). So my guess is they must have some onward international forwarding service. Let’s hope I won’t be needing it…
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy