Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Rosiere private lessons

Poster: A snowHead
First post for me here... [updated with kids ages 15/8/24]
We've booked our very first family ski trip to got to La Rosiere, early April 2025. We have 6 non-skiers (3 adults (1 aged 69) and 3 children - aged 13/11/9) and thinking that for us, private lessons would be great so we can experience learning to ski together. Undoubtedly we will pick it up at different rates, but I think we'll enjoy the holiday more, being together.

Does anyone have any private instructor recommendations for La Rosiere, or perhaps willing to try changing my mind to go for group lessons instead?!

Thanks!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 15-08-24 12:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm. What age are the kids. And how sporty are you all?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And welcome to Snowheads

If the kids are teenagers (or approaching teenage) it would probably work. Otherwise - I think not
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It depends. We need more information to be able to offer sensible advice.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@lincoln82, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

La Ros is a great place to learn to ski.

The ESF in La Ros certainly used to have a great reputation for ski instructors, having once been under the directorship of a British chap (whose name eludes me). I think the legacy was a great group of instructors who spoke excellent English. Given the popularity of La Ros with British skiers, I’d be surprised if that had changed massively.

Evolution 2 also had a very good rep in the resort.

Although quite a few years ago now, I had personal experience with both ski schools and had zero complaints/concerns.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies already. I did contact Evolution and I think they prefer groups up to 4ppl and to split adults and children.
We are all fairly active...it's middle child I'd worry about most, the other 2 are quite fearless, stronger and fitter.
I skied as a child but that was toooo long ago so counting myself a non-skier! The other 2 adults have had ski sample sessions at Chill Factor in the past, but again, doesn't really count!

ESF is probably the obvious choice - they have a massive presence everywhere it seems, but I was looking for something a bit more 'personal'...seeing if there were any recommendations.

Plan in my head is to maybe have 4 days with lessons and then those of us who are into it can do more skiing together on the other days. Maybe we'll all be into it, and hooked after day 1, but we're approaching it more of a winter holiday with a skiing focus than a purely skiing holiday...we do also have an adult who won't be skiing and can hopefully meet us on the slopes for a hot choclate!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You haven't mentioned the age of the kids but strong and fearless kids from about 5 - 16 will be skiing rings round genuine beginner adults after the first day and might get bored with what seems to them very slow progress and repetitive drills. They will not mind falling over - whereas a lot of adults are very uptight being petrified of falling. Adults need explanations (put the weight on the inside of the outside ski) whereas kids just copy and do. Tiny beginners (under 4) generally start either 1:1 with an instructor (ideal but expensive) or in a group shuffling round a "nursery" area with very short slides and sometimes a short magic carpet to get up. Jolly boring for kids who are up for it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What @Origen says. There is a outside chance you might all get through a private on day 1 together but not a chance over a week. Why not sign kids up for group lessons all week and then consider groups for the adults also. Though kids benefit loads by having peers to mess around with, adults can usually benefit from knowing they aren't the crappest in the group and group lessons for beginners normally have some promotion/relegation so they don't end up with disparate abilities
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My wife and I had private lessons with ESF in La Rosiere - we asked to have the same instructor each time and he essentially got a feel for our ability and then helped us to progress. Im not sure what you mean by wanting something more personal? if they're private lessons they will be personalised to the group, but obviously the more of a skill gap that develops the harder that will be.
Really enjoyed the ESF lessons though - we had a guy called Enzo who i would highyl recommend.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thelivingmountain wrote:
Im not sure what you mean by wanting something more personal? .

My understanding with ESF/Evolution is that you would just get allocated an instructor for a week from their pool but you won't know who it'll be until day 1.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That's likely to be the case with any ski school unless you know individuals and can ask for them by name for private lessons. And even then, they won't always be available just when you want them! With private lessons you often have to be flexible about timing as instructors often have group commitments at busy times. Early April is not a busy time and sometimes instructors, without much work coming up, will have moved on to other things. What ages are your kids?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

My understanding with ESF/Evolution is that you would just get allocated an instructor for a week from their pool but you won't know who it'll be until day 1.

Yeah I get that, I'm just not sure what difference it makes to booking (I assume) and independent instructor, as non-skiers its not like you'll have any particular preferences ahead of the week. Would also highly recommend getting a few group lessons ahead of the trip at a snowdome or dryslope in the UK, it'll save you wasting the first day or so figuring out the absolute basics. I learnt at Tamworth - 2 x 3hr group beginners lessons, then skied at my local (sadly now closed down) dryslope for a couple of months before going away, and developed pretty rapidly once on the snow.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You're all so helpful, thank you!

Origen - I updated the OP with the ages - kids are 13/11/9.
totally get your point. I was interested if anyone had any private instructors to recommend. I've seen some private instructor 'ads' on 'Maison sport' and 'SkiBro'

Mountain, we would love to do some lessons in advance of going but there's not many ski slopes on the Isle of Man! Very Happy
Maybe we can fit something in if we're over later this year.

Definitely get the feel that adults + kids together may end up holding the kids back...something to think about.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

there's not many ski slopes on the Isle of Man!

Ah! Fair enough. Either way - La Rosiere is a great resort for learning, you'll love it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I updated the OP with the ages - kids are 13/11/9

Sorry I missed that. What I've done in the past with grandchildren is arranged private lessons for them, outside the age range a ski school would accept, because I know the kids - and some are happier with a companion they know. If they all get on well, and one might be a bit fearful, a few private lessons for the kids together could work. At that age their pace of learning won't be that different. I think you'd be very unlucky, booking private lessons with ESF to get a rubbish instructor! Their huge group lessons for kids are another story - requires some resilience on the part of the kids, especially the ones left trailing at the back. Although it'll add to the cost, separate (perhaps group) lessons for the adults might be the way to go. And not having to worry at all about what the kids are getting up to will be good. You might, though, find it difficult to tailor the timings as obviously it will be good to finish around the same time.
snow report
Jäger wrote:

The ESF in La Ros certainly used to have a great reputation for ski instructors, having once been under the directorship of a British chap (whose name eludes me). I think the legacy was a great group of instructors who spoke excellent English. Given the popularity of La Ros with British skiers, I’d be surprised if that had changed massively..

That would be Simon Atkinson. He taught me to ski back in 2000, as well as instilling in me an appreciation and respect for the mountains which I carry to this day.
snow report
WiRED wrote:
Jäger wrote:

The ESF in La Ros certainly used to have a great reputation for ski instructors, having once been under the directorship of a British chap (whose name eludes me). I think the legacy was a great group of instructors who spoke excellent English. Given the popularity of La Ros with British skiers, I’d be surprised if that had changed massively..

That would be Simon Atkinson. He taught me to ski back in 2000, as well as instilling in me an appreciation and respect for the mountains which I carry to this day.

Thanks - the name is certainly familiar, now you mention it!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy