Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trailmap: Madonna di Campiglio

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am thoroughly confused by the MdC trailmaps I'm seeing online -- they seem to be reversed from what I see on Google maps for the town. I have never experienced this with a trail map for other resorts (admittedly in the U.S. -- I haven't skied Europe). Is there a reason they do this? Am I missing something super obvious?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Conventional maps have north at the top of the page, south at the bottom and West/East at left/right respectively.
Piste maps have the top of the mountain at the top of the page and the valley at the bottom with no attempt to represent NSEW orientation. They also flatten out the contours of the mountain and frequently bear little relation to scale of the underlying geography, but do show which pistes connect with which lifts - which is their main use
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And welcome to Snowheads!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't know what you are looking at. If you're looking at the main bulk of the Skirama as on this map https://www.ski.it/en/mapppppit will be confusing as that's trying to represent 100 runs over multiple valleys etc in a single 2d view.

Even if you're looking at a MdC only map there is plenty of scope for confusion as there are effectively 4 ski areas split 2v2 on opposite sides of town with some limited crossover on the same side and a single point of transit at Groste between the two sides of the valley.

The other thing is scale. The distance from Groste to Passo Groste far exceeds the distance at Vail from village to top of mountain.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the quick replies, @DCG and @Dave of the Marmottes! And for the welcome. This seems like a great space; thanks for maintaining it.
Your replies helped me realize that I usually just see trail maps of the mountain I'm skiing, but, as @Dave of the Marmottes notes, MdC has the town in the middle of it. I'm trying to select a hotel on the side of the town near the Cinque Laghi lift, and got very turned around.
I will post a new question about hotels and lift access shortly to keep this thread clean Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dave of the Marmottes[/b], Your link has an extra 'it' ?!?!

Corrected link

https://www.ski.it/en/mappppp
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@nnetchi, openskimap is your friend for did like this, as it superimposes the lifts and runs on a map that is to scale. Here's the one covering Madonna di Campiglio:
https://openskimap.org/?obj=7f3dde2cf70f25d4f6dab9271332f2942bbf5543#13.25/46.2402/10.83325
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As an American who has skied in Europe recently, I can tell you that, generally, ski maps in Europe are different than those in North America. The ski areas are much larger in Europe, and as such, the maps are less detailed and specific. You will find yourself relying on them far less than you do at home - in part because you are not used to them, and in part because they are not meant to dictate your skiing as thoroughly as NA maps will.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks to all! This has been wonderfully helpful.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@nnetchi, You might find some useful information in this thread -- a trip report to the area

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=168396&highlight=madonna
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wow! This is an amazing community. I promise to give back Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@nnetchi, think of Madonna of being at the centre of a big U shaped ski resort with Spinale being at the top left part of the U and 5 Laghi at the top right. It all links together quite well when you get to know it enabling you to cover all 4 areas (Spinali, Groste, Pradalago, 5 Laghi) in a day. The link to Pinzolo is at the top right of the U and is a nice area, and even more extensive is Folgarida, which is reached via a link from the Pradalago area via run 46 which is quite steep at the bottom and can get quite busy.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy