Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Automatic or manual hire car

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

I will be hiring a car to drive from Bergamo airport to Selva in the Dolomites in Jan. For those that don't know, it's autostrada most of the way and 40 minute relatively easy (not many 'switch backs' etc) drive up the mountain.

I am familiar with driving abroad but in summer and always had automatics.

Wondering if an auto would be ok for this trip or, if it snows, would I be better with a manual?

Cheers!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As long as you’ve got winter tyres on I don’t think it would matter too much. I tend to go for an automatic when renting these days as it’s just one less thing to have to worry about when driving abroad. I do drive an auto in the UK though so I’m a bit rusty with a manual anyway.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chico wrote:
I tend to go for an automatic when renting these days as it’s just one less thing to have to worry about when driving abroad. .

Ditto but I find they tend to be more expensive if that is a concern.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just take what I'm given, sometimes auto but usually manual
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is a story that by reserving an automatic there is a greater chance of a free upgrade as lower grade cars tend to have gear sticks...
Probably true a few years ago not so sure now ...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Owls101 wrote:
Hi everyone

I will be hiring a car to drive from Bergamo airport to Selva in the Dolomites in Jan. For those that don't know, it's autostrada most of the way and 40 minute relatively easy (not many 'switch backs' etc) drive up the mountain.

I am familiar with driving abroad but in summer and always had automatics.

Wondering if an auto would be ok for this trip or, if it snows, would I be better with a manual?

Cheers!

Even when we booked manuals we have always ended up with amd auto on ski holidays.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Normally I have a manual gear change, but on one occaision recently the hire company asked if I would mind taking an automatic as it was all the had left. It wasn't too bad but always seamed to be changing gear at just the wrong moment.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sounds like I'll be fine with an auto.

Thanks for replying everyone.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Winter tyres more important but unlikely from Bergamo. Just make sure you have chains that fit!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What an odd question?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Do most automatics now have a way to lock in a secific gear for engine braking and for selecting second for pulling away on snow? I suspect they do. I beleive that the more expensive ones also have a button specifically driving on snow.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I beleive that the more expensive ones also have a button specifically driving on snow.

Yep, its in the drivers footwell, on the right... POWWEEERRRR! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnE wrote:
Do most automatics now have a way to lock in a secific gear for engine braking and for selecting second for pulling away on snow? I suspect they do. I beleive that the more expensive ones also have a button specifically driving on snow.

No to the latter. What they do have is traction control that reduces the power if the wheels start to spin, rendering the idea unnecessary. Holding a lower gear for engine braking has always been a thing even on old-fashioned slushboxes of forty years ago, which would normally have 1-2-D-R settings.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@johnE, some cars have a semi-auto function where you can select a gear (usually by flicking the gear stick forward or back of with a flappy paddle behind the steering wheel), but usually it will trip back into its preferred gear after a while if it doesn’t like the rev range. You can also usually turn it into an up/down manual if you want in some cars (VW group DSG lets you do this, for example).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chico, Every automatic hire car we've had always has an option for manual if you wish, as well as being able to select a specific gear if required. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@Bones, The last automatic I rented, very small Suzuki, didn't have these features. It didn't have a park setting on the gearbox either.
snow report
we find Auto easier when you're going over narrow passes with lots of hairpins but we managed fine with a manual several times and your route has no major passes so you'll be fine with a manual. We've taken the route via Castelrotto and also via Waidbruck and the IIRC latter was an easier drive.
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
There is a story that by reserving an automatic there is a greater chance of a free upgrade as lower grade cars tend to have gear sticks...

Reserving the smallest cheapest one in auto is certainly the case, they rarely have one available.

I have been upgraded just about every time I higher in this way in UK. Not in Bulgaria though where I have hired a lot, they have a fleet of the small cars, so depends on the numbers and types of cars they have
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
boredsurfin wrote:

Reserving the smallest cheapest one in auto is certainly the case, they rarely have one available.

I have been upgraded just about every time I higher in this way in UK. Not in Bulgaria though where I have hired a lot, they have a fleet of the small cars, so depends on the numbers and types of cars they have

Last March I got apgraded from the smallest auto to a BMW 5 series monster. I was glad the roads were clear as it had huge, wide tyres and 400 BHP! Excellent fun to drive up to ADH Very Happy
ski holidays
With any hire car, it’s also worth determining how to set the right traction settings for snow, if necessary. This can make a lot of difference if you do hit snow. Trouble can be that either the Owners Manual isn’t in English, or theres no manual in the rental car. I’ve had the latter and gone back to the pick-up staff and asked them what the setting should be. In the former, my passenger fortunately had the 40 minutes on the valley autoroute he needed with Google Translate to work it out.

For some vehicles, the snow traction setting is pretty non-intuitive. In our main car, a BMW, it’s a dedicated button with an icon of a car with wriggly lines. In our previous Audi it was similarly a button on the dash with a meaningless acronym on it.
snow conditions
@LaForet, just Google it
ski holidays
I have a car booked for next week out of Geneva. Booked with Enterprise directly paying slightly extra for auto selecting VW Polo (or equivalent) as my car at home is an automatic now. Just desperately hoping I am NOT upgraded I booked a small car because I wanted a small car
ski holidays
@NickyJ, you may be given a different car such as an opel corsa , you can refuse an upgrade. They should have the type of car you ordered. On occasions I've been offered an automatic even though I ordered a manual but usually the same size. I suspect hire companies are awash with autos.

It has been a long time since the polo has been a small car. It is now as big as a golf used to be. Small cars are fiat 500s or vw up.
snow conditions
There's a Fiat 500 often parked just up the road from me. It seems massive compared to the old ones!
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
@NickyJ, you may be given a different car such as an opel corsa , you can refuse an upgrade. They should have the type of car you ordered. On occasions I've been offered an automatic even though I ordered a manual but usually the same size. I suspect hire companies are awash with autos.

It has been a long time since the polo has been a small car. It is now as big as a golf used to be. Small cars are fiat 500s or vw up.

It is just all the stories of upgrade to a big car that concern me. It is just me and the girls for a 5 night break to the alps and no skiing so Polo should give plenty of space but not too big as I don't like big cars.

We will be driving the Hyundai i10 to the airport so have to fit everything in that which is smaller but wanted to guarantee 5 doors.
ski holidays
Quote:

I don't like big cars.

I don't either - my Skoda Fabia is brilliant. I have enjoyed driving vans in the past - I like the high driving position - but that's for load carrying. I really dislike the way that so many vehicles now have that "imposing" kerb presence which big cars in the past (e.g. a Cortina Estate and other similar estates) didn't. My regular walk to the shops is littered with them. The Hyundai Tucson being surely one of the most pointlessly ugly. Last time I hired in Geneva we got a nearly new VW T Roc. Quite a "small car" I suppose, and I had paid for the cheapest automatic, but it felt cumbersome and heavy and I didn't enjoy driving it at all. Even the tailgate was an effort!
snow conditions
I'm sure I've ranted before about the pointlessness of the fake SUV or urban crossover - making road safety worse for everyone by blocking sightlines in order to help mums and dads feel like they are driving an unassailable tank (even if it's just an ordinary hatchback in a taller body). But it's too late it's where manufacturers have gone because it's an image that is easier to sell.
latest report
Quote:

it's an image that is easier to sell.

this is what puzzles me. Why? How long will this fashion last?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Origen wrote:

this is what puzzles me. Why? How long will this fashion last?

"Safer" for your kids in a crash. Looks more like a Range Rover therefore you've "made it". Higher driving position to make you feel like king of the road............
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes, you forgot easier to get in & out of, good for the elderly drivers who refuse to give up their licenses
latest report
Jonny996 wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, you forgot easier to get in & out of, good for the elderly drivers who refuse to give up their licenses

Or skiers who have wrecked their knees Smile
ski holidays
Another bitchy ageist comment, @Jonny996, you just can't stop yourself, can you? Laughing You've made it clear before that we are all a menace to society despite the overwhelming evidence that young (and not so young) men are by far the biggest danger on the roads. My 81 year old friend has an Mx5 (her third). She's a lot overweight but still manages to get in and out of it with no problem.
ski holidays
Origen wrote:
Another bitchy ageist comment, @Jonny996, you just can't stop yourself, can you? Laughing You've made it clear before that we are all a menace to society despite the overwhelming evidence that young (and not so young) men are by far the biggest danger on the roads. My 81 year old friend has an Mx5 (her third). She's a lot overweight but still manages to get in and out of it with no problem.

Her knees are clearly better than mine. Although good at the moment due to a LOT of gym work, when I had my last meniscus tear, found getting in hubby's Auid A5 very challenging. However my MG ZS Ev was good for that.

Also despite being narrower and shorter than hubby's A5 kids have much more comfort in back as they are 5'6 and 5'5 their space is important snd why I selected that car over others I could afford
latest report
@Origen, Touchy subject for you?
Just because someone can doesn’t mean it’s easy.
We have a big Lexus & a 911, I can get in & out of both but I can easily tell you which is easier.
I can also tell you when my dad phones me and tells me to bring the Lexus on my next visit, we are going out to get something because if he’s in the 911, the fire department are getting him out.

Not everything is about you.
snow report
Quote:

Touchy subject for you?

Suggesting that some old (and indeed younger) people can get in and out of bigger cars more easily is fine. But why the uncalled for comment about "elderly drivers who refuse to give up their licenses"? Your constant bitching ageism is a touchy subject, yes.
snow report
johnE wrote:
@NickyJ, you may be given a different car such as an opel corsa , you can refuse an upgrade. They should have the type of car you ordered.

Really?

They always say 'car illustrated is just illustrative' - i.e. you might get almost anything...

If you don't like the bigger car, you're likely to be walking!
snow conditions
Quote:

If you don't like the bigger car, you're likely to be walking!

Yes, that would be my guess - but then they should refund you and there are other car hire desks nearby which might be able to oblige.
snow conditions
I was driving in Sicily when the smallest rental turned out to be a big car. In those medieval towns, the corners can be awkward and I was sure I would scrape it, with 1 or 2 cm at each side. I don't insure cars, so it matters, but I was very surprised to get away with it.

I like small cars. Modern 911 cars are fat, space for golf bags. And children! They aren't small, they get bigger every generation. Like kids, I suppose.
latest report
@phil_w, luckily mine is the poor man’s version & at 25 years old now, it’s still relatively small.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy