Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Train travel from Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, we are looking at travel options from Geneva Airport next March to Moutiers (staying in Courchevel le Praz so will need a cab from Moutiers to there) - has anyone done this? Ticket prices/times aren't released until November which is a pain but it would be good to know if it's a viable and inexpensive option compared to, for example, Ben's Bus? March 1st is the tail end of school hols (according to BB) so delays on the roads are inevitable hence the lure of the train but we don't fancy numerous changes and expensive seats or having to book a specific time, just in case we miss it. Any advice would be greatly welcomed!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@bumble66, Why do you feel you would need a cab from Moutiers? There are buses from the station.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@bumble66, you can probably do it on local trains, with no reservations and fairly cheap. But I think it will be two or three changes (Geneva Central, perhaps Chambery, ...) and probably take 3-4 hours to get to Moutiers.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rjs, It depends upon what time you get to Moutiers.

@bumble66, I cannot imagine the prices going up much from those published today but they do vary a bit depending on the time of travel. I think it is still the least expensive way to get from Geneva to Bourg st Maurice. It should be around 40€ each way

I've used the train to get from Geneva airport to Bourg st Maurice. You get the shuttle train from the airport to the main geneva station at Cornavin. At this point you have to cross the international border which is a bit of a walk (about 100m) along a corridor. You then change trains at Chamberey (aix les bains is also a possibility) which is no problem as the train deposits you on exactly the same platform as you leave from. There are a few other possibilities. My son, a couple years ago, had a bus connection somewhere along the way. You can also take a FlixBus or BlaBlaBus to Chambery station. TBH it is not a difficult journey and whould be my default way of getting from Geneva to Bourg st Maurice though this is to some extend dictated by the fact there are very few transfer busses mid week when I usually travel.

ps. The first week of March still has one area on half term holiday. It will still be quite busy.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’ve done it, it’s quite straightforward. GVA airport to main GVA station, then the novelty of the crossing to the french platform for the train to to Aix les Bains, then change to the train that goes all the way to Moutiers, I think it cost me €35 one way back in April. It’s a pretty journey, but gets very slow from Albertville. About 3.5 hrs in total as I recall, including a 30 min wait at Aix le Bains before the next train left (but at least the was starting at the station). The last leg from Albertville to Moutiers involved about a 20 min wait, then a very slow trundle up the valley. It’s a single track line with passing places.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If there are a number of you, look at the price of a private shuttle (cool runnings,snowdrones, etc) The total cost might not be much more then trains, especially if you still need to get a cab for the last leg up to le Praz.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@bumble66, If you can I'd advise avoiding Saturday morning services around 10am coming back. This is because there appears to be a Saturday rush of locals going into the Geneva area. I was stuck on a very full service between Cluses and Geneva for an hour crammed in with bags, no seat and a 10 year old at Easter.

You would be on a different route but it's worth planning to avoid local rushes.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy