Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Camber changed

Poster: A snowHead
So I did a trip to 3v at easter with family, we managed to fill the boot and roof box so skis ended up going in some sport tubes I had from when we flew. Wasn't much room for last pair of kids skis so I removed the rail bindings. Without considering anything but space ,instead of wrapping them towards the tip, I wrapped them tightly together below and above the rails, squeezing the little bit of camber they had out. When I got there and took the wraps off them they sprung apart with 30-40mm gap of camber Shocked . The skis in question are salomon s/race rush , now called MT. Single layer wood I believe. Any way to get them back to what they should be? They seemed to ski ok on piste which is all they will be used for so not much of an issue, just asking out of curiosity more than anything.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 16-07-24 14:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hard to believe you've introduced additional camber by tieing them together for a car journey of say 24 hours.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thats exactly what I thought, its not just a bit either or I doubt id have noticed. Maybe I waxed them just beforehand but doubt it, I usually prep them a while before packing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They are more sensitive the kids skis I think, I know from a couple of years ago the plastic ones with a metal strip in go concave of you show them much heat at all.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, using the logic that they were warm when wrapped and cold when unwrapped I suppose I can try wrapping them in the same way when cold and warming up to unwrap to reverse it. Any input before I try would be welcome but they don't owe me much so I will probably try it at the next opportunity when I remember.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Glosterwolf, did the kid notice?

I don't think kids' race skis have rocker?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No the kid didn't notice but its the kid who doesn't race so im not sure they are good enough to tell really, just drifts about quite slowly, she skis with mum and the racer comes with me.

They dont have much rocker but the non FIS style short turn skis do have some. I used a straight edge pressed against base and measured my 167 rossi ST TI r21 rocker against my 156 head wc rebels iSL RD not long ago and intresting the flat section of the head was 10mm longer.

Anyway im talking about camber rather than rocker.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Imagine it like this, if you put tips and tails of skis opposite each other like you are going to carry them, you could comfortably fit a flattened hand through the gap under the rails atleast up to knuckles. It was shocking when it first happened but they didn't flatten out a bit after use. I only posted this because I was going through skis last night and noticed it again.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Glosterwolf, but the title of the thread is ...?

Seems very odd to me.

1. kid doesn't notice, ergo no real problem

2. more importantly, could there be some water ingress causing swelling? Which could cause a real problem? But presumably the same on both skis, so unlikely.

Weird, but doesn't seem like anything to worry about. I mean, if you consider what skis are routinely designed to experience, it seems implausible that you made a material change as described?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah sorry that's an error I didn't notice, I'm terrible for it. It certainly is odd, might take some pictures later.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They are likely to be surplus after we get back from landgraaf next month. Should I have any qualms about flogging them as they are do you think?@under a new name,
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's only really an issue if the weight of the kid on them isn't enough to flatten the camber. Don't think I'd worry about selling them, presumably they'd only be £50-60, the purchaser's kid would use them for 1 or 2 trips and then sell them on again
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

on't think I'd worry about selling them

Note to self.... don't buy stuff from @Dave of the Marmottes, ! wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ski wrote:
Quote:

on't think I'd worry about selling them

Note to self.... don't buy stuff from @Dave of the Marmottes, ! wink

Your main reason not to buy stuff from me is that it's usually beat to poo-poo. Though I do have some genuine minty Marker Squires if you're interested wink

In all seriousness though if they ski OK what's the problem?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X3ewyjImv5h07HAJb9IuC4H19AZCte3h/view?usp=drivesdk

Blue ones with yellow side walls in middle, less than it was when it happened but still noticeable. At least double the next biggest camber which is the rossis and kids volkls, which were funnily enough wrapped normally but travelled with the sollys in question. The deacons and heads didn't come and have very little camber. Strange stuff.
snow report
@Glosterwolf, that is quite noticeable Shocked
ski holidays
Just looks like the brakes arent holding them together as much to me. Also looks like a healthy ammount of camber for a race ski.
ski holidays
The brakes dont make any difference once locked together there is enough spring in them to allow the rested camber to show.
latest report
Quote:

In all seriousness though if they ski OK what's the problem?

Indeed!

Looking at the Volkls on the left they have a similar length of gap, so I don't think there is an issue. If they ski OK I think they'll be fine. Might be fun to compare individual skis without bindings on. If you have found a way to make skis springy again you are a genius!
snow report
Glosterwolf wrote:
The brakes dont make any difference once locked together there is enough spring in them to allow the rested camber to show.

Most skis that I've had over the years have brakes which will lock the skis together at the centre point. It's clear that you haven't got them tight, as several of the other onces are also not flat to each other, but generally speaking that's how skis are stored, carried and transported.

The idea that your wrapping having caused this is some way, especially given that you say they were tight at the middle and have then sprung further apart, is difficult to fathom.

To me they look fine, perfectly normal. There's always a gap when the brakes aren't tight, this pair just looks a little more cambered than the others.
ski holidays
On my other skis the gap barely changes with the brakes tight, the brakes wont even stay locked on the sollys. Look at this, brakes taken out of equation, on the right is a new unused pair of junior FIS skis. The cheap mid range kids ski with rail binding has close to double the camber. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XUNcmt2DKPILLrDtHDOMNn-jW3BbvKOD/view?usp=drivesdk

Im not imagining it, I have had them from new and they had about 1/4 of the gap beforehand.
snow report
If i put retainers on any other skis the gap barely changes from when brakes are locked tight like in the first picture. Holding the brakes locked on the Solly's does pull them in a bit but they just pop out when you let go, partly due to cheap bindings and partly because of the excessive camber.
snow report
It is very odd. It certainly wouldn't be normal for skis to gain camber just by wrapping them flat for a while.

Looking at your photos I get the impression that the skis still have relatively little camber underneath the binding section but rather that the excessive camber starts at the front and rear of the skis. I can't help wondering if maybe something got stuffed between the front and rear of the skis, forcing them apart while the binding area was wrapped and creating the excessive camber at those points. Essentially adding a bit of rocker to the front and or rear of the skis if that makes sense.

Certainly the way they sit together and diverge at the tail so quickly doesn't look normal.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 18-07-24 10:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I have considered that perhaps i forced the sport tube together too tightly it did what you are describing. There were also loose poles and and bindings in there. No sign of it upon opening it up though and you would have thought it would the p-tex being wrapped so tightly just above and below rails. I personally think it is something to do with temperature changes, black box on a roof and a clear day getting sun we arrived all day, didnt go out get them off car and unwrapped them until night when it was cold of time of year about -4/-6 at the top of le hameau. I have a cold store next to my office so im going to play about and see if I can replicate anything. Maybe I will discover a way to restore lost camber as someone suggested.
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, I didn't think you actually owned any skis to sell, just sponged them off other people
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy