Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Viehhofen to Zell am See

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello. We are a family of 5. Youngest is 7. We have the option of cheap accommodation in Viehhofen. We have skied twice before in Norway and everyone is very comfortable on green runs in Norway.

From the interactive map, it looks like you can get from Viehhofen to Zell am See. I was interested on people's opinions of the blue runs from Viehhofen to Zell.

To me it looks like there isn't a way to get back up to Schmittenhohe and down to Viehhofen again (via the gondola) only sticking to blue runs. Am I wrong in this.

Thanks for your help
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Butterpengy, You are probably better off asking this question in the Saalbach Hinterglemm thread as it is more likely to get seen and answered by "locals". Certainly until recently (I know there are plans to change things but dont believe they have been implemented yet) Viehhofen has not been connected very well to either SH or Zell. There is the lift up to the Zell area but skiing down is via a ski route (last section) plus a longish red, certainly not suitable for anyone wanting easy skiing though you can get the lift down. On the SH side there is a long blue down BUT it relies on natural snow so it is not open that much. Return to SH is via a shuttle bus.

I would assume there is a good reason that the accommodation is cheap. If you have a car I suspect you would be fine as you can go along the valley to Saalbach (more easy skiing than Zell). There are buses too but not everyone is happy with the prospect though in Austria the buses are efficient & reliable.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@munich_irish Thank you!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@munich_irish, Thank you!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IIRC You can come back down to Viehofen on the gondola - the red to the halfway station has a tendency to be icy, I saw lots off accidents last time I was there! from the top into Zell isn't a problem...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Viehhofen is a better location for skiing the Saalbach-Hinterglemm Ski Circus than for skiing Zell am See. The same lift ticket covers both areas.

From Viehhofen there is a regular, free shuttle bus to the Schonleitenbahn lift, which is the entry point to the Ski Circus and from where you can easily ski to Saalbach, Hinterglemm and Leogang. Coming back from Saalbach, if Piste 168 is open, you can ski all the way to Viehhofen (remembering to stop off at the excellent Hecherhutte on the way down), but if this piste is not open, you just take the shuttle back from the Schonleitenbahn. The shuttle takes just 10 minutes and runs every 20 minutes.

To ski Zell am See, you ride up on the Zell am See Xpress out of Viehhofen and you then have the whole of the Schmitten area to explore. There are a few easy runs and some more challenging ones, but personally I think that the Ski Circus is a far better ski area. To get back you make your way to the top of the Xpress lift and either ski to the mid-station (which can be narrow and icy and honestly isn't much fun) or ride down from the top. If you end up in Zell at the end of the afternoon or when everyone is tired you can take the 680 bus (the Zell to Saalbach-Hinterglemm bus) to Viehhofen

There is nothing in either area that is remotely like a Norwegian green run - with the possible exception of the area at the top of the Bernkogel in Saalbach, which also has a mini-funpark and a couple of wave runs that the kids will enjoy. Be careful about skiing down the Bernkogel at the end of the day - it gets busy and very bumpy and is steeper than the top area above served by the chair lift, so consider riding down on the gondola in the afternoon.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 29-06-24 17:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
just get the bus back. Doubt you would do or need to do the trip a 2nd time.
If you want to ski Zell, stay in Zell or Kaprun!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy