Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Peaks Yorkshire Dales

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just completed the 3 peaks trail run as a prep run for The Haute Route Im doing in July.
I completed in 9h 30mins that includes 3-4 of 20 mins breaks along the route as I wasn't running this as a race.
Quite a lot of people doing the trail as weather was nice and it was a Saturday, also there was some kind of event, so I met thousands of people Smile I think that was Andys man club.

For those who never been here and I did short clip, hopefully its not too long and boring Smile

http://youtube.com/v/xyiwT9zXGkU

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 23-06-24 19:05; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I walked over Whernside a few years ago, I'll probably walk over Pen y Ghent and Ingleborough as well, it's been around 5 years so it's any guess how long it'll take me to complete the 3 peak, though in all fairness my route has been via Snowdonia, Berlin and Calgary (among other places) so I'm not taking the direct route, though I did take a plane or two, is that cheating?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My GPS showed 42km and 1700m altitude. I guess 12h is absolute minimum, It will be wise to do it in June/July when days are long and start as early as you can, ie 6am-7am, then you will have couple of hours in reserve until sunset.

Also, there is a train between Horton in Ribblesdale and Ribblehead. So if start from Horton clockwise or starting from Viaduc anti-clockwise, you will have backout option after completing 2 peaks to take a train, but check the schedule ahead.

Good luck with your adventure and enjoy every moment.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good to see my old stomping ground.

Not sure I'd enjoy crowds, which is one thing with that type of route. Do they still have the clocking in machine at the cafe? I think the last time I was there the machine was still there, but not the process. That, and the Ingleton Falls walk, are major sources of custom for the CRO surface rescue activities; nothin' wrong with that.

Good job with the drone - that must suck at the time.

I've no idea what the rail schedules are, but I've seldom seen trains on that route. Now and then they'd have a steam train run through, but you could tell that was happening as there'd be train spotters on the bridges waiting. Anti-clockwise is the traditional approach. The steep end of Pen-y-ghent has been known to avalanche in good snow.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ed48, good stuff - what's the distance/elevation for the Haute Route ?

Here currently it's defo the crazy Ultra/Sky Running season with events happening it seems in all the various valleys over the next couple of months, though the weather is still grim, though you could argue at least it's a lot chillier, we reckon at least 10 degrees down on what you'd usually expect, temps didn't go higher than 16 over the weekend, normally this time of year you'd expect to see 30 late afternoon!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ed48, Great video. It's been far too long since I did the 3 peaks (35 years Shocked ), so brought back a few memories.

The official target is 12 hours, so you set quite a reasonable pace.

Last time I did it was the weekend before the clocks changed for winter. Set off from the cafe in the dark (could just see the tent in the half light as we walked back past it), watched the sunrise from halfway up Pen y Gent, and completed the last mile or so in the dark. About as late in the year as is sensible. (We did stop for an hour for lunch before Ingleborough)

You've given me some inspiration. I'm dog sitting next week, and was thinking of a few days camping, so might go there. No way I'm fit enough to do all 3 in one go, but might do a couple of hills over 2 days, and spend a day at Malham Cove/ Gordale Scar on the way back.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you all!

2 Weathercam

The Walkers Haute Route, ie from Chamonix to Zermatt is 14000м and 200км. My plan to fit in 7 days, cutting corners by taking lifts and buses where possible. The weather is main concern now, I have booked flights from 5th July and current snow conditions leaves a lot to be desired. i did TMB last year exactly same dates in the beginning of July, only one pass was covered in snow ie Col des Fours, and if was nothing concerning. Currently its getting warmer based on forecast. I guess the only stage is bothering me is from Verbier to Arolla, there is 10km section at altitude higher than 2600м.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ed48, well hopefully the weather will get better by the time you come out.

By the end of this week, end of June we would have endured two months of the most unseasonal weather that I've known in 11 years, friends who have been here 25 & 35 years have said the same, temps have to be at least 10 degrees down on normal!

That said when it's dry the cooler temps are actually quite nice for doing more active stuff.

And weather will get better by July 7th as that's when we're going back to the UK !

And re the snow levels, it will really depend on the aspect of the slope, most snow on S/SE facing slopes has gone below 3k it's the N facing slopes above 2,500 patchy to 2,800 (looking out of the window as I type this).

And hopefully, there will be a well worn path for you.

This was the Serre Poncon Trail Run at 2,500 a couple of weeks ago

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ed48, I managed it in the winter of 2008 in 9h22:

https://vibram.org.uk/bootprint0901.htm
and scroll down to Three Snowy Peaks.

It’s probably the closest I’ve ever come to killing myself!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy