Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please Help me find the right resort

Poster: A snowHead
Requirements are…:

Blue pistes for my wife who likes it easy (Zermatt for ex not ideal)
Fairly calm resort, apres not important
Not france (we want a change)
Big enough for a week, so no small resorts
Snowsure: we travel mid to late march, and want to avoid skiing in slush
So maybe north facing would be a big plus (or at least parts who are not south facing)

We are looking at :
Arosa/Lenzerheide, but not sure if its high enough
Laax: full south so seems like a no go
Ischgl: love the ski part, but how to be sure you will sleep there and not have a group of drunk students in the room or flat above u?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Kouemaha, one of the Alta Badia resorts in the Italian Dolomites would be a good choice. Alta Badia is blue piste heaven, very well prepared pistes with extensive snow making, so snow sure even if nature doesn't oblige, stunning Dolomites scenery, great value mountain restaurants. Highly recommended.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Obergurgl/Hochgurgl in Austria might fit the bill, with the option of using the ski pass extension and getting to Solden on the bus for an extended ski area (and visiting the 007 Elements exhibition at the top of the Gaislachkogel mountain). Both nice and high, with extensive snowmaking, ski season starts in November and can go through till May.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Kouemaha, Agree with the Dolomites suggestion. Students cant afford Ischgl let alone to go drinking there. Yes it still is big on apres but also big on spa hotels so perfectly possible to not be bothered by the apres. Snow conditions are a bit of a lottery, some years March is cold & snowy other years wall to wall sunshine & afternoon slush. Ischgl is a good choice in this regard as the season goes on until 1st May and few of the pistes (home runs mainly) would be hit by afternoon slush. A couple of other Austrian spots to consider -Serfaus is pretty high, no big apres but maybe the skiing is not ideal for your wife, - Lech, refined apres, very snow sure with a reasonable amount of mellow skiing with as much challenging skiing as you could wish for spread through the Arlberg,
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We previously used Hotel Mirabell in Ischgl.
Very clean and quiet on the outskirts of the town but 3 minutes by foot to Silvrettabahn and another minute to reach Kuhstall for a glass or two at the end of your skiing day.
Obergurgl is also a good suggestion.
We did Obertauern this mid March and was wintery, cold and clouded but it is rather small for a week and the nearby Ski Amade resorts (Flachau/Flachauwinkl) were slushy of course.
Nothing beats the blue pistes of Lech but I think late March will have them very slushy even before lunch
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@drporat, It is true that the main home run above the village in Lech does suffer on sunny days, the last stretch is quite steep and sugary moguls can be a bit of a challenge for those expecting a simple blue. However the rest of the resort is so good that it is worth looking to avoid this section for those who would find it difficult eg take the cable car down from Oberlech, easy to have a post ski beer / cocktail / coffee on one of the terraces and go home from there.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the input
Mainly looking at Obergurgl, seems like the perfect resort in combination with Solden
Very expensive though
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's a rather narrow resort with decent hotels.
Any 3 stars hotels with HB will be a good bet.
There are some small and simple family hotels in Soelden close to Giggijoch
I've previously been to Obergurgl through Crystal, check their offers.
They may still have 1+1 for skipasses.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Crystal 1+1 ski pass offer ends on the 31st July.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis would be ideal, my new favourite resort(s). Tons of cruisey blues and reds and few challenging runs too. Big area. Good apres in Fiss, but all in one place so the village is very quiet. Can recommend the Hotel Belmont (with HB option)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If Zermatt is a no, did you get over to Cervinia when you were there? If not it’s worth considering. It sounds perfect for you given your requirements.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mayrhofen maybe?

It's not France. Plenty of blue pistes, variety across the area, plenty of skiing and mileage for a week for decent intermediates.
Should still be plenty of snow in March based on historical levels and there's a glacier which is a free bus ride away (30 - 40 mins from memory).
We stayed about a 5 min walk out from the centre and it was calm.
Should be cheaper than some of the other options mentioned.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We skied in Lenzerheide for a few days mid-March this year. The snow was pretty good, even down low. One day it got to 19C though and it definitely started to slush up in the afternoon. We also had a big dump of snow over two days though that definitely helped.

Some nice mellow runs lower down but more adventurous stuff higher up and it’s a fairly large area with a really good bus that runs around the lake so you can try lots of different starting points throughout the week. We didn’t go over to Arosa so I can’t comment on that.

The town in fairly quiet with a few places you can eat if you like, but we mostly ate in the hotel. It being Switzerland, isn’t cheap though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My vote would be for Ischgl - I've stayed there three times in three different hotels and never had anything or anybody keeping me awake at night. Ischgl's reputation as a party town seems to me to be based on a few big bars near the base gondola stations and a couple of real party huts on the mountain. All very easy to avoid if it's not your thing. I'd also recommend that your wife avoids the home runs at the end of the day - they do get very busy and bumpy/slushy near the bottom. Better to enjoy an Aperol Spritz in a bar at the top then download in a gondola.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We've skied Obergurgl/Hochgurgl at the end of March a few times and loved it.

No nightlife to speak off apart from maybe a few apres drinks in the Barrel bar, but you don't go to Obergurgl for the nightlife you go for the high peaks and the lovely cruisy blues and reds. There's also the night skiing at Hochgurgl where we also enjoyed the Bar & Grill restaurant which is at the Hochgurgl gondola.
snow report
hammerite wrote:
If Zermatt is a no, did you get over to Cervinia when you were there? If not it’s worth considering. It sounds perfect for you given your requirements.

Was going to ask the same thing
snow conditions
Sestriere?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy