Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Walkers Haute Route in beginning of July

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey

Im planning The Haute Route this Friday (5th July), flights booked ect. However the current weather conditions (colder spring,floods etc) makes me seeking an advice on safety.
I know its simple advice - dont go make sense but I would like to have some discussion and another opinions Smile

I consider myself quite experienced, walking on the snow or lower temperatures is not major concern.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 1-07-24 11:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ed48, I would call the hut guardians of the huts you are planning on staying in, and ask their opinion of the routes between their hut and your next/previous destination. I‘ve found them really helpful and knowledgeable about the routes in their vicinity. Also depending on your route and if you are going into the valleys then the tourist offices of the valley towns.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good idea! Thank you.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ed48, good luck, hope you can do it!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ed48, can you re-route either some of the trickier bits, or the whole thing?

About 30yrs ago I set off to do it with a mate, but early season conditions on the high passes weren't suitable, so on day 2 we changed to do the TMB instead.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, I can reroute, nothing booked for huts as Im planning to stay in the valleys or bivy at high altitude where permitted. I will wait couple of days to see the forecast, currently another huge rain scheduled for the coming weekend. I will probably reschedule the whole trip (loosing flight tickets) or see if forecast is better for western parts ie Parc National des Ecrins and GR54.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ed48, I assume the plan is to do the old Kev Reynolds route? Not done the whole thing but did do a lot of the sections around Val d'Hermanence, Arolla & Zinal, though a good while ago. I would have thought it would be fine now. All the huts will almost certainly be open and I would assume what were glacier crossings in the 90s would now be rubble fields. The suggestion of checking with the hut wardens is a good one. In theory this should be a good time not high season and should not be so hot though weather forecasts seem pretty uncertain
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy