Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Spitfire or Dobermann.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This may be a case of 'put your big boy pants on' and make a choice. I'm being unusually dithery and any advice would be appreciated.
Background_ I'm 58yo, I've been skiing for most of my adult life, I'm a fairly accomplished on piste carver. I've been on Head Magnums since the Magnum was introduced 15/16yrs ago. I'm using 170cm 2023 models currently.
I'm beginning to find the Magnums tiring as I get older, especially forcing them into short turns on bumps and crud. I gym train legs 3 times a week, but age is creeping up on me. I've been online researching for weeks now and TBH, it's a minefield. Three different reviews may tell three completely different stories about the same ski. Rating it from intermediate to sometimes advanced.
I've narrowed in on the Nordica Spitfire Ti Fdt of the Nordica Dobermann SLR FDT. I'm really struggling to to choose which. The Spitfire is the softer choice, which will be an easier drive than the Magnums, but I'm worried that they'll not deal with my 94kg tearing them into hard turns and could be a bit wishy washy. The Dobermanns are nearer the Magnum with a 13m radius, but will I gain in lessening the wear and tear on the pins?
This maybe too focused in on two not mass appeal skis for anyone to have any insight, but I'd appreciate any comments/help.
Thank you. Cool
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mollerski, I am not a fan of reviews.

I think you'd be happier on the Spitfires. My expectation (as a former Dobermann SLR RD (WC-FIS) owner (so a level or two up from the FDT) ) - they're great but do need a degree of active control ... not really a hangover ski, although one way to despatch cobwebs Twisted Evil
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mollerski, I've got this Spitfire ti (2018/9 version) in 174.
Loved them at first but I've kind off gone off them. The flex pattern is odd/unusual, according to some people, in that they're stiff in the middle but then softer at the ends with not much progression between the two. Think i just don't ski them enough to get used to that... maybe.

I could be persuaded to part with them. wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have you looked at the e.Speed? R15.3 at 177cm makes them more user-friendly than the Magnums and they are pretty common so you should be able to try them out quite easily before you commit ££'s. I've got some and I love them. Similar weight and skier. I don't find them a problem in bumps.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys. All interesting points. Talking to my son today, whom is a way more advanced skier than myself. He mentioned perhaps looking at a narrow all mountain ski. He said that with a softer tip and tail, the turn initiation and release maybe easier than with a rigid piste ski. I hadn't considered that.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Before I had my injection of caffeine, I thought you were deciding between an iconic WW2 aircraft or a very effective guard dog. Up until the very sad and unfortunate crash, I was going to suggest the former.

Embarassed
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Old Fartbag, Spitfire? A bit naff. Dobermann? What were they thinking?? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mollerski wrote:
@Old Fartbag, Spitfire? A bit naff. Dobermann? What were they thinking?? rolling eyes

Thinking didn't come into it! Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Something with a little more give in the tips and tails could be easier on your legs as you get through longer days on the slopes. Have you looked at any skis like the Nordica Enforcer or Line Sir Francis Bacons? They're still going to be nice and stable at speed but turn initiation might be a bit smoother. Definitely try some out if you can before deciding.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A side comment but relevant: have you tried a Ski Mojo? You might be able to stick with Manums.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A bit late to response but some direct feedback on both those skis. My son, who's an instructor in Austria, uses the Nordica Dobermann Sptifire Pro's as his daily ski and says they are the best instructor skis out there and some of his colleagues have bought them as well. He loves them. According to him, the Ti's are pretty much the same but a bit softer with one sheet of metal instead of two on the Pro's; the FDT's (a poster above talked about the flex in non-FDT ski's) that you're looking at are the ones with the sliding plate that I'm told improves the flex.

I've borrowed a pair of the Nordica Dobermann Spritfire SLR's for three days and thought they were stunning; superb response and very similar to my late lamented Atomic slalom skis. They absoloutely have to be worked and I needed to be on them all the time but fabulously rewarding. If I was buying, I wouldn't have the SLR's as my every day ski. I'd probably look at the Ti's, which I am...

Hope that helps.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ptex, Interesting. Thank you. Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy