Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid / early December Oberlech

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Happy weekend all,

quick one about Lech and more specifically Oberlech. Last season we had to last minute cancel a trip to Oberlech in February. The hotel was very helpful in finding someone to fill the room and not snatch our whole deposit off us. They have however kept the deposit.

Now our early season trip looks like it will be 13 December onwards.

I'm wondering what the snow cover will be like in terms of ski in ski out at Oberlech? I totally understand it is sub optimal but will it be ok ish. I guess I'm really asking what the snowmaking sitution is around the town.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously depends on the season start, but more chance of it being fine than not. That's about the snowiest corner of the Alps and it would be very unusual for a couple of good dumps not to have rolled through by mid Dec. Or to put it another way: it's likely to have pretty much the best snow cover of anywhere in the Alps at that time.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@afterski, Mid December is always a risk, you might find perfect conditions on empty pistes or a few white streaks of artificial snow on green hillsides. Lech does tend to have better conditions than most so if there is early snow likely to be as good as anywhere. Also note that while the Arlberg lift company will advertise that the area is open from say 1st December (dont know the dates for next season) in fact many lifts wont open until Christmas week. In recognition of this the lift ticket prices are less expensive for the first few weeks. All the main pistes around the Arlberg have decent snow making so there will be some skiing. The pistes down from Oberlech to Lech get very soft & chopped up but that wont be an issue pre Christmas. Might be worth checking when Warth plans to open as that adds significantly to the local skiing. Unlikely that the ski route linking Zürs back to Lech (Madloch) will be open as it relies entirely on natural snow and usually opens late December / early January.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's very hard to predict winter snowfall these days. However this past winter, the two best weeks for snow in the Arlberg were the first and the last.

If there is snow then rest assured that the best time to ski in the Arlberg is pre Christmas. Low crowds and pre season buzz in the air.

Season dates are 4 dec - 22 April
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all very helpful and adding to my decision paralysis!

I was last in Arlberg during January pre covid, on a lads trip. We didn't have great snow so did the run of fame (from St Anton) a couple of times. I can't remember or seem to see on the piste map how we did it but remember some great quiet blacks in Warth. The memory probably wasn't helped by some lads holiday nights in Base Camp....

Not really looking for amazing pow or the best snow as it is a family affair so ski in out with the 6 and 8 year old is priority. My wife isn't the most confident skier so nice blues, good food and lunch stops are mostly in order. One consideration for the early season booking is that if it gets bleak any days that there is a bit to do. Obergurgl was a bit cold for the kids a few days early December last year but there was nothing to do in the town as we were SO early. Hoping that maybe Lech can be a bit better even if early season.

What is the deal if the cable car from Lech - Oberlech shuts for weather?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As per @munich_irish's post, it is likely that not all lifts will be open prior to Christmas week, irrespective of how much snow there is. This is mostly because the lift company won't have contracted the staff to start. It's been a long time (just shy of 30 years...) since I skied in the Arlberg pre-Christmas (in St Anton). Not many lifts were open, but you could still cover a decent area.

Re the connection from Lech - Oberlech, I'd suggest contacting the hotel to see if they offer anything (e.g. skidoo or piste-basher rides). If there's a prolonged closure, they'll need a means to get stock and staff up and down, and you may be able to hitch a ride
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This was circa Dec 10-15, 2023 (last season).

http://youtube.com/v/h9GPa0rwetI
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Whitegold, thanks. Think I am now sold. Was lapping the trees in Obergurgl when that particular dump was happening. Obvs a bit of elevation difference but I am going to roll the dice. As far as open lifts are concerned. I'm sure there will be enough to keep my wife and kids entertained. I'll just strap on the Laser ARs and motor around.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@afterski, Oberlech is perfect for your wife and kids. And there will be plenty of skiing, even if it's just on artificial snow. We were in Lech during Christmas in the years 2014-2016 when almost all of the Alps were virtually without snow. Skiing was on artificial, but still Lech had a thin cover of 5 cm natural snow, giving perfect Christmas atmosphere.
Oberlech has lovely restaurants everywhere, and lovely gentle pistes everywhere.

Closure of the Bergbahn Oberlech is extremely unlikely. It is a short ride, and all amidst trees. It runs until 01.00 am by the way.
There also is a road with skibus service up to Oberlech-Nord (1800m), which is walkable from Oberlech-Central. You can also walk down to Lech within 30-40 minutes, lovely path.

If snow conditions are good, all lifts will be open. This last early December even Madloch was open (because of the excellent cover).
Which hotel are you booking?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We will be in Montana. Snow on the ground in resort 10x the Christmas vibes as my wife realized last year in Obergurgl. So thats a definite plus. To be honest I would be booking in February (not half term though) but I've been told we can do a second trip this year if we go with another family in Feb. So I'm not rocking that boat!

As nice as it would be to use the path, I suspect at least one trip down will be on the toboggan run....

Am I right in thinking that there is no connection inbound if Madloch isn't open? So it is bus from St Christoph or something like that?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
afterski wrote:
We will be in Montana.

Nice hotel with great terrace and good restaurant. Funfact: from Montana it is easier to ski down to Lech than to walk up to the Petersbodenbahn. And it is a beautiful piste.

afterski wrote:

Am I right in thinking that there is no connection inbound if Madloch isn't open? So it is bus from St Christoph or something like that?

Yes, you're right. But you can ski until Zürs, because that's all covered by artificial snow, no need to get on the bus in St.Christoph.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We've been a couple of times to Oberlech in mid December and also late April and had plenty of snow both times. Would think you'd be pretty unlucky to not have good snow cover and it's as good a bet as anywhere except a glacier. This past December pre Christmas there was a huge dump on the 21st/22nd with crazy winds - the only lifts running were the button lift in Oberlech and the old double chair from Lech, and the Lech-Oberlech cable car was still running no problem. Nice small Christmas market down in Lech and lot's of fun on the toboggan run.
Another thing about Oberlech is that it gets a lot of sun. Not so great later in the season but in December it's really nice!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy