Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Massive roadworks on A10 Austria till June 25

Poster: A snowHead
Roadworks announced on the A10 Golling to Werfen. 12th September 2023 till June 2025. 14 km of roadworks while the 10 tunnels are being renovated. The managing director of ASFINAG construction works says he would use public transport. Sounds like a recipe for lengthy delays as it must be one lane.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Given a midday ish arrival and departure from SZG on Saturdays in January I might have to take the MD's advice. Thanks for the update@holidayloverxx,
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@toyah807, I'm driving back on 18th Sept, I'll see what it's like then
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@holidayloverxx, ideal, thanks.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
it seems like the whole of Deutschland has road works when we drive through there to Austria and Poland.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's all in the timings. Wouldn't want to have been travelling North today as the Dutch and Germans were heading back from Croatia. No problems coming South from Salzburg.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@RedandWhiteFlachau, indeed, I wouldn't want to be heading to the airport on a half term Saturday unless I added at least an extra hour...or more

The roadworks start on 12th Sept
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@holidayloverxx, They've started early. The contraflow in the Eben tunnel was set up last week.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In a digital age, you'd think it might be possible for Europeans to stop going everywhere (and coming home again from everywhere) on Saturdays.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@RedandWhiteFlachau, thanks
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Am i right in thinking that if we get lift passes in advance they will allow us free public transport from SZG on the Saturday of our arrival? We had been considering hiring a couple of minibuses but the above is maybe stopping that. I am guessing there isn't a car hire company around Altenmarkt or Bichofshofen to get past the roadworks on the train before picking up locally?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@toyah807, to be honest the minibus will still likely be the easiest solution. Just allow lots of time on the way back. I just posted it for awareness

Never heard of free transport from Salzburg...local buses are free

Don't think there are any local car hire places
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@holidayloverxx, thanks
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
In a digital age, you'd think it might be possible for Europeans to stop going everywhere (and coming home again from everywhere) on Saturdays.

You would, but unfortunately, it eats into the annual leave if you arrive or leave on anything other than a Saturday or Sunday.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That's the case with certain ways of defining conditioned hours and "annual leave" but with many people working shifts round a 7 day week, and many working for themselves, there are other ways of looking at it which could make a difference. And with some retired and early-retired people now being amongst the most affluent and holiday-prone, there's scope for greater flexibility. In the days when Sunday was Sunday and totally different from any other day of the week, things were less flexible. And I guess in some countries (notably Switzerland where I was once treated as an apostate because I'd enquired where I could buy a new tyre on a Sunday) that's still the case. I teased my French friends because having spent ages planning their retirement, and having their own apartment, they still initially always drove down on a Saturday.
latest report
@pam w, driving to Austria is massively easier at the weekend..I'm doing it next weekend. So much less traffic and no freight on a Sunday
latest report
Ah, OK - but is that still the case in the ski season?
snow report
@pam w, definitely, bad weather, lorries nose to tail kicking up spray for hundreds of yards
snow conditions
toyah807 wrote:
Am i right in thinking that if we get lift passes in advance they will allow us free public transport from SZG on the Saturday of our arrival? We had been considering hiring a couple of minibuses but the above is maybe stopping that. I am guessing there isn't a car hire company around Altenmarkt or Bichofshofen to get past the roadworks on the train before picking up locally?

You are correct but you can only use the service from/to Salzburg on days when your lift pass is valid. It requires you to register and book a seat, so it isn't really practical unless you're resident in Salzburgerland. It is really designed for the locals I'm afraid.
snow report
@RedandWhiteFlachau, is that the day trip bus or something else?
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
@RedandWhiteFlachau, is that the day trip bus or something else?

No. It can be booked for outbound and return journeys on different days as long as it is a day when a lift pass is valid. As it runs early morning and late afternoon, it does mean you have to stay in Salzburg overnight unless you have a very late flight back to the UK. I haven't seen the details for next season yet but I'll post them on the Ski Amade thread when they are published.
latest report
@RedandWhiteFlachau, cool, I thought it was just a day trip
snow conditions
This weekend there was a 3 hour delay direction Salzburg due to an accident, 45 mins direction Flachau and gridlock in the surrounding towns.

I drove direction Salzburg at 9.30 this morning...traffic moving freely through the roadworks and only added about 15 mins from Eben to Golling. It only takes one accident to change significantly though. There is a bottleneck where the carriageway crosses lanes and its a very tight bend for freight and that was the slowest bit with traffic stationary for a few minutes

There is much consternation among the Mayors of the local towns who are calling for a summit with Asfing to discuss improving access to the Pongau region in winter...Asfinag have so far said nothing us going to change.

I saw an article which said the roadworks would be suspended next summer...first I have seen of that and no idea if that's right but summer is much busier than winter except maybe half term weekends.

I'm back in January and I'll update again then, but any other reports would be good.
latest report
Roadworks suspended from 28th June to mid September. Both lanes open
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy