Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pieps Pro IPS avalanche transceiver

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Pieps have a new beeper out

[url=https://www.pieps.com/en/product/pro-ips/][/url]

- the biggest 'new feature' is a claimed 80m search strip width.
Anyone seen any reviews?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Going to be a tough sell given the number of recalls they've experienced.

I had a pieps DSP 3 (I think, anyway pre black diamond purchase) and loved it. I ended up swapping for Mammut because every guide I went with would go "hey - is that a pieps...."
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sweaman22 wrote:
I ended up swapping for Mammut because every guide I went with would go "hey - is that a pieps...."

As a Pieps owner, and pardon my ignorance, but I'm just checking what's the context of the comment...is it a good or bad thing Laughing ?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's a bad thing. Quite a few recalls on some versions of pieps post the Black Diamond acquisition. Even though mine wasn't covered by the recall I got tired of having the discussion "yes, but..." every time.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2022/Black-Diamond-Equipment-Recalls-PIEPS-and-Black-Diamond-Avalanche-Transceivers-Due-to-Risk-of-Loss-of-Emergency-Communications
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm not sure it is so black and white. As someone that had a pieps at the time I followed it. Basically there were 2 incidents around 3 years apart of people caught in avalanches finding there beacon wasn't in send mode. They assumed the slider had moved without them touching it, which ofcourse would make the beacon dangerous. This was followed by some videos of people showing their transceiver could slide pretty easily without having to press the button in. The argument was that these people had damaged their devices by forcing the slider without pressing in the button. I gave it a good go, but even pushing it relatively hard I couldn't get any movement in mine, and based on the design it was really hard to see how you could create enough force in that exact spot to blow it. Pieps put the transceivers through a bunch of testing and they were cleared by international safety standards. However, a lot of people were understandably worried. So pieps offered free hard cases which completely lock the beacon in send mode. Im more than happy with the hard case solution which solves any potential issue (which I'm still not 100% convinced exists).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah... I was kind of irritated by it all to be honest and my particular beacon wasn't covered by the recall at all. I had several guides though (all in Canada) who were clearly uncomfortable with me using it despite being competent with it in search mode so I decided to switch. I think the incidents were both in North America so that probably didn't help.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@boarder2020, by chance my DSP Sport had just been replaced by Pieps at the point that the whole thing blew up. So I had a brand new unused transceiver - no question of any damage. With the beacon stowed in its holster as per Pieps' instructions, I could switch it off simply by rubbing it a couple of times against my ribs - the sort of motion that could easily happen in a fall, and that would definitely be a problem if I was caught in an avalanche. There's no doubt in my mind, based on this experience, that the fault was real and not due to prior damage.

As you say, the revised holster fixes the issue and there's no reason to believe that a Pieps beacon is any less reliable than the next brand. Pieps' initial handling of the incident was poor, and I think it's this more than anything else that has tarnished their reputation.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the replies. Explains why I got sent a new holster in the post then
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just to say, pieps have a voluntary recall on the DPS series
https://www.pieps.com/dsp/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy