Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting to Livigno

Poster: A snowHead
hi, we are booking to get to livigno in Jan 25 from Australia.
What is the best option, Milan, Innsbruck or Zurich? Train bus or taxi. for all my research I can't get great information online
about price, times and travel time
We also have some family flying in from the UK for a short time, what will be best/quickest route to get there?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads, @Twoldskiing. You've set yourself quite a task there. Must it be Livigno?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Livigno is probably the most remote of all the Alpine resorts.
I think the nearest airport of those is Zurich, but still a long transfer - 4 hours? Have a look at alpinbus.com
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looking forward to our trip thanks for the travelling info.
We loved skiing in Canada and Japan and can't wait for Italy.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 7-09-24 16:17; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Kenzie, thank you, I’ll take a look
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Twoldskiing, I thought you were asking about some kind of necromancy.

Why Livigno? I can’t see it has anything you can’t find elsewhere? Duty free booze?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Twoldskiing, I think Zurich will be your easiest option. Innsbruck is a tiny airport and awkward to get to from a long haul flight. Zurich is much bigger and has direct flights from the major hubs in Asia, so you should be able to get there with just one stop from Australia.

It will take around 3.5hr on Swiss rail to get to Livigno and involve 4 or 5 vehicles, but Swiss rail is reliable and easy to use, so it should be quite a relaxing, scenic journey. Don't worry about tight connections – Swiss transport waits for the connection. You can put your journey in here https://www.sbb.ch/en though I think there may be a 3 month limit on the planner – the nearest Saturday I can get info for is 14th December, but there seems to be regular trains every 30 to 90 minutes. It costs from 44 CHF/adult each way.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is a shuttle bus from Bergamo but it takes over 4 hours.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Twoldskiing, There is a bus from Zernez station, think the trains to there go from Landquart which should be served by direct trains from Zürich airport. Should be all bookable through the SBB app referenced above. Note that there is a tunnel between Switzerland & Livigno which is only open one way for a good part of Saturday (the tunnel is only one way but normally alternating directions). Certainly an interesting journey if you like using the Swiss transport system. Cant see why you would put yourself through this there are plenty of other places with equally good if not better skiing, even duty free places if that is a big attraction.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't understand why hip replacement narrows your options just down to Livigno, especially given that it involves walking with skis and hopping on/off buses to get from one side of the valley to the other. I enjoyed it but I wouldn't say that it particularly has much that isn't offered by other resorts.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Twoldskiing, Livignoskiholidays.com have been very helpful organising transfers for us in the past, might be worth firing them an email. Its about 3 and a half hours from Bergamo in a private transfer. There's also the Livigno Express https://www.livignoexpress.com/en/ which runs from Bergamo, Linate and Malpensa to and from Livigno, though check times with your flight times. It's about 5 hours in total, with a 45 minute lunch stop on the way. It's a long trip, but the bus is comfy and its a beautiful route up past lake Como.

I'm a big fan of Livigno and can answer any questions you have. It's a bit less favoured on Snowheads for some reason. Great snow record, high altitude, fantastic modern lift system, incredible food, authentic town with all traditional architecture, good value. Solid choice if you're visiting from Australia IMO.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We went to Livigno in 2019 and it was great - helped by the sun shining all week! We would happily go back.

It is a long journey though - we flew into Milan and drove.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There really are much easier places to get to than Livigno which would be absolutely fine. Where have you skied before? It will cost a fortune to get a transfer from Zurich.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scarlet, thank you so much for you reply Eh oh!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Origen, We have heard only great things about the place and as we live in the most isolated city in the world it's not such a drama. Just needing so travel info.
latest report
@musher, cheers
latest report
@munich_irish, thanks for your reply Eh oh!
snow report
@element, great info, thank you. Eh oh!
snow report
element wrote:
It's a bit less favoured on Snowheads for some reason. Great snow record, high altitude, fantastic modern lift system, incredible food, authentic town with all traditional architecture, good value. Solid choice if you're visiting from Australia IMO.

I think the reason that it's less favoured is that there are a huge number of other resorts in Europe that hit the same criteria but don't have a minimum 4 hour transfer. That and ime it has a tendency to be bloody cold at times
snow report
@Twoldskiing, so you come on here - and you are very welcome snowHead - but are asking a rather closed question - rather than engaging the collective wisdom?

AFAIK Livigno is nothing unusually special, in any regard, so perhaps outlining what you're looking for might result in a better outcome (and holiday Happy )
snow report
@under a new name, the collective wisdom isn't always so wise though wink There is a tendency to say, “well, I wouldn't start from here” and continue to answer a different question, when the problem is that the asker is here, for whatever reason.

I've never been to Livigno (too awkward to get to Laughing ) so I can't comment on its suitability, but I suspect that a few hours on Swiss rail is a gentle and relaxing experience when compared to a flight from Australia! It may feel quite different to anyone arriving on the Cityhopper from London.

However, yes, there may well be alternative options, but we do need more info in order to suggest some.
latest report
@Scarlet, what? Thread drift here? Never!!
snow conditions
Having been 3times (with snowHead s) I'd tend to agree with @SnoodyMcFlude, opinion that it's not really worth the effort. Once there, getting around involves a lot of walking or crowded busses (it's apparently the longest village in europe). So might not be best if your mobility is compromised. The slopes aren't that well integrated either. Lots of oddities like blue slopes that can only be accessed via black ones.

That said I'd say the best way is via hire car from Milan. Probably quicker than the bus or train/bus combo and from there, you avoid the tunnels and need to get in to the oneway system timings from Switzerland. Still take a lot longer than getting to any other ski resort.
ski holidays
Think I'd hire a car from Milan or Innsbruck then have a long hard word with myself as to why I wasn't stopping at the many fine resorts I drove past.
snow report
@Scarlet, I don't see the comments as "wouldn't start from here", more pointing out that getting to Livigno from any airport will involve going past other resorts that could be more suitable for the OP.
snow report
adithorp wrote:
Having been 3times (with snowHead s) I'd tend to agree with @SnoodyMcFlude, opinion

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
adithorp wrote:
Having been 3times (with snowHead s) I'd tend to agree with @SnoodyMcFlude, opinion

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I had to think long and hard before coming to that conclusion Shocked
snow report
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
I don't understand why hip replacement narrows your options just down to Livigno, especially given that it involves walking with skis and hopping on/off buses to get from one side of the valley to the other. I enjoyed it but I wouldn't say that it particularly has much that isn't offered by other resorts.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have chosen our destination and don't need other options, cheers. Eh oh! Eh oh! I didnt realise I asked the forum where to go, instead of asking for information about how to get where we are actually going?
snow conditions
@Twoldskiing,
Quote:

I didnt realise I asked the forum where to go, instead of asking for information about how to get where we are actually going

Welcome to snowHeads! Laughing Laughing
snow report
@Twoldskiing, yeah, whatever, SHs is a bit like talking skiing down the pub. It doesn't always track the way you wanted or expected.

So the general opinion so far seems to be that Livigno isn't ideal and is a pain to get to. But you don't care. Fair enough, another pint?
latest report
Laughing
latest report
https://www.livignoskiholidays.com/livignobycar

https://www.livignoskiholidays.com/livignotransfers
snow report
under a new name wrote:
So the general opinion so far seems to be that Livigno isn't ideal and is a pain to get to. But you don't care. Fair enough, another pint?

Twoldskiing wrote:
We also have some family flying in from the UK for a short time

Reading between the lines, it seems like the OP's destination has been decided with the input of others in the party.

Amidst the well-meaning advice on here to consider other more accessible options, there's been good info on the best way to get there, so snowHeads works well, albeit imperfectly snowHead

BTW mine's a pint of Cider, cheers! Laughing
snow conditions
The whole thread's a bit weird. I've almost never heard on anyone planning a ski trip in the order of pick a remote resort first then worry about flights from the other side of the world and transfers.

Clearly lots of people do go to Livigno or it wouldn't exist as a destination. I'd always thought cheap prices and duty free were its main attractions. If you're buying a TO package it probably isn't a big deal but equally if you're booking a hotel they should be able to advise on the best options.
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, agreed. I've been once..a pre Christmas trip before our wedding in January. I recall it was OK, an interminable transfer (4 hrs+) where I had to climb over a toilet door because the lock stuck...(St Moritz?). On the upside we bought a bottle of dom perignon for just me and him for the wedding toasts.

If the OP is fixed on Livigno then they'll find a way of getting there
latest report
@under a new name, cheers, your round ?
I'll have a Dark and Stormy thanks Eh oh!
ski holidays
@Hurtle, like a fly in a spiderweb.
ski holidays
@luigi, cheers
latest report
Thanks everyone, and now to open myself up for more tomato throwing.
Where do each of you recommend (just the name only, no blurb) for a trip, cost effective, easy to get to, good easy skiing and no Snowjoe WKers. Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy