Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz at Half Term

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello, planning a trip to Avoriaz and looking for recommendations for acommodation for two adults (we're DYing and have flights sorted already). Given that we're on a bit of a budget, we're looking at self catering, unless someone reckons we can get a decent half board deal that would match an apartment & grocery costs? I get twitchy and like to book asap but it looks like things are either booking up already or they haven't released dates for next season. When is the best time to book?

While I'm here, advice on public transport from Geneva airport most welcome too! Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You are teachers, presumably? Are you dead set on France? There might be more space elsewhere as UK half term always coincides with one of the four "vacances scolaires" French holiday weeks.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pierre et Vacances are available, different levels and prices.
From my experience it will only get more expensive and less options will be available.
Last summer we booked for mid January and when we checked towards November we were happy we didn't wait
Alps2Alps sent me an email with temporary transfer discounts

snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Origen wrote:
You are teachers, presumably? Are you dead set on France? There might be more space elsewhere as UK half term always coincides with one of the four "vacances scolaires" French holiday weeks.

Guilty as charged, or at least I am. Flying to Geneva on 22nd Feb and pretty set on Avoriaz - been before and liked it, it’s snow sure etc etc… open to alternative suggestions though Laughing

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 6-06-24 21:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It depends on how tolerant you are of crowds and lift queues, I guess. Yes, Avoriaz is snow sure, but being the MOST snow sure place round there, it can get horribly crowded when snow lower down is dodgy. Which it has been, the last couple of years. If you definitely want to go to Avoriaz, the advice to book sooner rather than later is good!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We stopped at Hotel du Lac in Montriond earlier this year albeit only for a long weekend. Not Avoriaz but just a short bus ride or drive to the lift at Ardent. They do really good breakfasts and the menu for the restaurant is excellent though not cheap (arguably no worse than going out for food though). They’re taking bookings for next year already.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@MotownJunk, have you already booked your flights? France likely to be the busiest of places during UK half term.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A friend of mine swears by Italy for half term trips. Apparently no half term there and Cervinia is very high; higher than Avoriaz. At half term Avoriaz will be packed as it also attracts people from Chatel and Morzine.
I believe you already have flights into Geneva but I think there are transfers between the two - there certainly used to be anyway or a hire car might work
Also, if you are on a budget, I think mountain eating might be cheaper in Italy than Avoriaz. Although Cervinia is at the higher end of the Italian resorts. Lots of Snowheads will have more up to date information on this
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For Avoriaz in my experience your best bet are the online booking sites like Vrbo/Air B&B/Booking.com/etc - but as a purpose built resort a lot of the apartments are 2+ bed so you'll end up paying the Half Term tax for beds you won't use (assuming you're a couple). Given that it might be worth looking down the hill in Morzine. It's an easy ski across from the top of the Super-Morzine/bus to Prodains to get up to Avoriaz each day and as a lot more 'converted house' accomodation more 1 bed places and hotels/B&Bs with double rooms. Only gotcha is at peak morning times the Prodains/Ardent buses tend to be full by the time they leave Morzine town so can take a couple of buses before one stops if you're out of town, half way between Morzine and Prodains.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A friend of mine swears by Italy for half term trips. Apparently no half term there and Cervinia is very high; higher than Avoriaz. At half term Avoriaz will be packed as it also attracts people from Chatel and Morzine.
I believe you already have flights into Geneva but I think there are transfers between the two - there certainly used to be anyway or a hire car might work
Also, if you are on a budget, I think mountain eating might be cheaper in Italy than Avoriaz. Although Cervinia is at the higher end of the Italian resorts. Lots of Snowheads will have more up to date information on this
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Train to Fiesch and ski Aletsch Arena. No queues, better snow, prices on par with Avoriaz. I say this as someone who loves Avoriaz but never at half term.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Nadenoodlee, tempting suggestion.
For a strong skier but with a non skiing other half which enjoys winter hikes, is Bettmeralp a better base?
And how is usually in January?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I stayed in Morzine centre and rented gear from a shop near the SuperMorzine base, which I would leave there every evening and walk home in comfy shoes. Then up SM every morning to Avoriaz.
True that if there isn’t great snow lower down, everyone else will do the same.
Some of the alternative suggestions here may well be worth looking at.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the thoughts, we’re on a budget that definitely doesn’t stretch to Switzerland and struggled to find accommodation in PdS that fits the bill, so booked to go to La Thuile instead. Been there before too and loved it, seeing it as a sign from the snow gods Cool
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've DiYed to Avoriaz many times including Feb half Term (teacher as well). There used to be a company Avoriaz Lettings run by a English bloke called Andy Wilson. Basically he knows all the English owners in resort and can find you accommodation. He's sorted me out many times for a decent price. His websites not running anymore but this is his email so don't know if he still does it but this is the last email have for him.

andy@shrec.biz
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy