Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warth Shrocken vs Arc 1950 - late March

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are trying to decide between these two places for the 3rd week in March. Family ski trip looking for blues and reds mostly, nightlife not a priority. Feel that Arc 1950 may have more snow sure reputation but would lean towards Warth if we were more sure of snow/going earlier in season. Anyone with experience of either/both places and able to give an opinion would be appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have been to both a few times before, including in (early) March BUT never stayed in Warth - I chose St. Anton or Lech.
Weather can always change of course but late March might be rather balmy/rainy. Warth is the highest of all Arlberg villages and well connected to Lech's red and blue slopes but me thinks the altitude of the skiing area won't offer you much comfort in warm days.
Going all the way to Lech or towards St. Anton will be slushy, wet and even sticky, happened to us in mid March 2023. Can you get there earlier?
IMHO Les Arcs 1950 is a better family destination, especially that (relatively) late - you will have more mileage available, more higher slopes, an easy bowl for the first days, plenty of tree sided pistes to reach in case of good fresh snow and bad weather and of course all the adjoined domain of Paradiski.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@snowtime..., welcome to SH's.

Very different destinations as I am sure you know but if talking purely about snow conditions I'm not sure there is much in it.

3rd week is a great time to go as it's still peak season conditions wise but all schools are back so resorts will generally be quieter. But as @drporat suggests things will be getting a bit warmer and slushier. But the weather is a fickle beast and it could be localised.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not obvious from looking at the piste map but Warth's local skiing is pretty much all north facing. That is not so true of Lech where the main home run can be badly affected by sun as it is south facing. Warth is one of the snowiest locations in the alps but fairly small. If you want lots of piste cruising then Les Arcs might be a better option.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you've done French ski factories I'd recommend Warth for a different vibe. Lech, Zurs, Stuben in reach for daily skiing (going as far as St Anton town/Rendl a bit more of a stretch unless you make it a mission).

Nightlife very definitely low key/non existent in Warth but the hotels are excellent and not as up themselves as in Lech.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@snowtime...,
*3rd week of March in Warth is fine for snow, more than fine actually. All north-facing as mentioned
*ignore the remarks about going to St.Anton; you'll probably won't like it anyway since you're looking for blues/reds. And Lech-Warth-Zürs has about 200 km of that, even without St.Anton
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pretty much zero difference in snow quality that time of year between the two areas, obv one could have a bad year and the other have a good year.

Warth itself isn't the largest area so you'd spend some time getting the link over to Lech most days I'd think. I've had cold winter snow and warm slushy snow at the time of the year in the Arlberg, impossible to say what the snow would be like that week.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That is all really helpful, thank you for taking the time to answer. Would typically prefer the more smaller but linked resort, hence trying Warth, but might be better to give it a go earlier in the season another year.
Thanks all
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Langerzug wrote:

*3rd week of March in Warth is fine for snow, more than fine actually. All north-facing as mentioned
*ignore the remarks about going to St.Anton; you'll probably won't like it anyway since you're looking for blues/reds. And Lech-Warth-Zürs has about 200 km of that, even without St.Anton

@Langerzug, the problem lies not within the home pistes which are north facing but within Lech's side, as previously stated. Lower and sunnier. Wetter.
Local pistes may be enough for the first day, but then you want to start travelling.
I think last March was the worst (so probably this year should be excellent) but all the home runs to Lech were really sticky at lunch time.

One can enjoy blue and red pistes and pursue skiiing all the way to St. Anton. Lovely scenic pistes and if I remember correctly, the only black piste you might be forced to tackle is Kandahar in case Steissbachtal is closed. And folks can download the gondola so they'll enjoy Base Camp rolling eyes or decide to return back to Warth through Lech/bus.
It's a pity to reach the area and not enjoy all its sheer beauty.
BTW, have you been to Les Arcs 1950/2000 in March? It's a treat.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy