Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Europe resort advice: one month stay with good balance of off-piste and groomers

Poster: A snowHead
This past winter my wife and I spent 3 months in the Dolomites. Spectacular scenery and LOTS of groomed runs. It was amazing and fun, but we're considering doing a month next winter somewhere that has more off-piste opportunities. Ideally we'd like to be in a town with some shops, restaurants, etc. Some obvious places come to mind like St Anton, Verbier, Val-d'Isère, but I'd love to know of other similar places, maybe some hidden gems?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@pgostovic, If you dont mind not staying in a resort have a look at Landeck. St Anton is a short train or bus trip away, Serfaus / Fiss is very nearby, Ischgl is a bit further but less than an hour on the bus plus there are a couple of smaller areas, Kappl & See before you get there. St Anton is a top place for off piste but is getting pretty expensive & crowded so you could pick your days for mid week after fresh snow. One downside is that the Arlberg is not covered by the Tirol area pass.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pgostovic,
What dates are you looking at, and what type of accommodation?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
what @munich_irish, says.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Andermatt. Not huge in terms of the areas you mention but lots to do.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Val d'Anniviers would be another option. And if you get the Magic Pass that'd cover you for some day trips away
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Kenzie, nothing set in stone but I was thinking February.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
1. Verbier
2. Chamonix
3. Lech
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chamonix and the Mont Blanc Unlimited pass?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pgostovic wrote:
@Kenzie, nothing set in stone but I was thinking February.

Then you may want to avoid France and any resorts with links to France - half term is a busy period.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Courmayeur
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Will you have a car?

If so, Aosta
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pgostovic, do the dolomites not do off piste? Puzzled

Strictly speaking, anywhere has off piste.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The advice for Europe if you want to do good off-piste is to hire a guide. He will find you untracked snow long after the last snowfall. Most off-piste routes are not obvious, and are you equipped to assess their avalanche risks? For example the Dolomites are a fabulous area for tough off piste, but you need to know where it is (see below - but this is the best known route, so well tracked).

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The issue with the Dolomites is that it is just it has just about the driest winter climate in the Alps. There are a few seasons (like the one just gone) when the weather systems align and there is plentiful natural snow but many years it can go considerable periods with little or no snow. It is usually cold, hence the abundance of snow making kit. So very reliable for piste skiing not as good a bet for off piste as say the Arlberg or Chamonix valley.
ski holidays
If you want offpiste, head for north Japan or west US.

Much deeper, drier, and fluffier than the European Alps.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
If you want offpiste, head for north Japan or west US.

Much deeper, drier, and fluffier than the European Alps.

Fair point but if skiing in resort the competition for powder in North America is generally pretty insane. I find I have a better chance skiing fresh in Europe with a guide (sometimes days after snowfall) than I do in resort in The States or Canada.
snow report
viv wrote:
Val d'Anniviers would be another option. And if you get the Magic Pass that'd cover you for some day trips away

This is a interesting option. Decent sized and varied area but not as busy as the big resorts, Freeride zone which allows you to ski off piste in an avi controlled area. Excellent scenery and views. Cheap lift pass (Magic Pass) that also opens up the option to visit some other nice spots (but you’d need a car)
https://www.skiresort.info/best-ski-resorts/magic-pass/

Aosta valley is another option that opens up lots of interesting ski resorts with a car but you’re staying in a town rather than resort.
https://www.skiresort.info/best-ski-resorts/aosta-valley-valle-daosta/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy