Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need suggestions for Jan 25 skiing out of Munich

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My wife and I are going to be skiing with our ski club in Italy for a week in mid-January 2025 and then returning to Munich with them on 19 January. We'd like to extend our ski vacation and are looking for recommendations. We were targeting Austria and Kitzbuhel in particular, but it turns out that's Hahnenkamm Downhill week there so things are already booked up and what's left is pretty expensive.

Haven't skied anywhere in Austria except Hintertux a few decades ago. Considering Soll or possibly Kitzbuhel if there's an area there that would be less affected by the races.

Looking for options we can get to easily via train from Munich. Not really big on nightlife/apres scene. Like small village-y type vibe; ability to cook our own food some nights would be a plus. She only skis Nordic; I'm an alpine skier and will ski most anything here in the US. Enjoy powder and trees.

Thanks for any tips/suggestions.

ADDED NOTE: We solved this - ended up finding an apartment near the Hahnenkamm lift and snagged it. Must've been a cancellation because everything else around there is booked, and this place apparently is usually booked too.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 9-07-24 1:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mayrhofen easy by train from Munich
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Hahnenkamm doesnt really affect the area outside of the race route, in fact it is often quieter on race day. However as you have found accommodation is more of an issue. Not that knowledgeable about Nordic but get the impression that not many places have a reasonable amount of both Nordic & Alpine. I believe the biggest Nordic area is Hochfilzen, both Fieberbrunn and Leogang are nearby which are part of the Saalbach Hinterglemm circuit. Possible on train from Munich but a bit of a faff. I would give Söll a miss, perfectly OK spot but much better places for experienced skiers. If train is a consideration would look at either the Zillertal (a number of areas along the valley, I would guess some Nordic), train to Jenbach. The other really easy train place is St Anton as the station is literally in the middle of the village. In terms of skiing it is pretty much the best in the eastern Alps. I have seen some cross country trails on the ski map but no idea how good. The Arlberg has the best snow record in the eastern Alps (arguably in the whole Alps) and the best off piste. However it can be crowded, the easily accessible powder runs get skied out very quickly and not cheap. St Anton itself would probably be too busy for you but neighbouring Pettneu has an old fashioned feel without being completely sleepy. I think Lech & Zürs (also part of the Arlberg) have some cross country trails, the scenery in the upper Lechtal beyond Zug is fantastic. Not a cheap spot though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Seefeld has a reputation for great Nordic and has a railway station
Don't know much more about it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zillertal as mentioned is easy by train from Munich. Lots of skiing across the whole valley, including Hintertux that you've previously skied.

On top of that you have Mayrhofen, Zell am Ziller/Gerlos, Kaltenbach/Hochfügen as well as small areas at Gerlosstein and Fügen.

Loads of options along the valley for accomodation and trains/buses connecting everywhere to get between ski areas.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@T Bar, I was just across the border in Mittenwald (two stops from Seefeld) today, saw a number of signs for "Langlauf" schools, not sure how reliable the snow is these days though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That is some great information - thank you, all, for your input. Very helpful. Research continues. (Speaking of Seefeld, that the was name of the model of my first pair of Trek nordic skis. Doesn't appear to be any alpine skiing in that particular area, though).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Tom_Ski, There is some Alpine skiing at Seefeld but it is fairly small and the area is not so high so snow conditions can be a bit of a lottery. Very easy to get to from Innsbruck, possible on the train from Munich but a bit slow. Potentially a good spot for beginners but maybe not enough to keep more experienced folk occupied for more than a day. It is a nice town for an all round winter holiday.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy