Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fischer transalp 98 Vs K2 Wayback 98

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All
I've decided to go for a touring ski that is good on the up and especially the down.
I've narrowed it down to these two skis.
Has anyone got experience of trying both the transalp from Fischer & the K2 Wayback .
I'm looking for info on how they ski opposed to how they tour.
I've watched/read all the reviews, now looking for personal experience.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
only in the 88mm versions. I really didn't like the k2. I think the Austrians have more idea about making touring skis than the chinese.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, I am heading more towards the Transalp.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@LeglesWonder, we've played on a few K2s in recent years and come away very unimpressed.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I really like the Transalp, but the narrower version so the wider version may not ski or tour the same. There was a big "mass hysteria" thing for the K2 locally at one time so I got caught up in it but I didn't like the way they skied in powder, again the narrower 88mm version. For me there was too much rocker and they were a bit floppy but that depends on a lot of factors and is subjective.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
That's great! Thank you .
One of the guys I skied with last had the K2 Wayback, snapped it in two, but he went and bought another pair.
The transalp seems better made and better edge hold.
I appreciate your input.

What bindings are you using ?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
LeglesWonder wrote:

What bindings are you using ?

I have Plum Guide heels and Dynafit toes - I broke one of the Plum Toes and the Dynafit toes work better.

Agree the edges on the Transalp are better. For me the K2 was overall a very average experience as UNN says, but a lot of people like them.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Unlike others apparently, I really like my Waybacks. I have both the 88 and the 106. The 88 are nice and light and easy to skin on. On the descent, it's surprising how quick and snappy they crank out turns. Yes they do get deflected in tough snow conditions, but they are a light, narrow ski. Aren't great in powder either. But that's why I have the 106. With more rocker, they float really well and will smear turns easily. I expect the 98 would be a good compromise between the two.

As a disclaimer, I am a K2 fan in general, and seem to like the "feel" of K2 skis. I also have Mindbenders and Pinnacles set up with alpine bindings. If you have skied K2 alpine skis and like them, you will most likely enjoy the Waybacks as well. What I like about K2 skis in general is how predictable they are. They might not be the best ski in any situation, but they tend to give you a pretty smooth ride in a wide variety of conditions and don't catch you off guard. Something I highly value in a touring ski when you can come across a variety of conditions in a single day.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you for a great response !!
I've got two both Fischer ranger 102 FR skis & K2 mindbender 108s

I was skiing the mindbenders last trip off-piste with shift bindings.

Truly amazing ski in all conditions especially over chop and frozen hard pack.

The only downside is the weight.

Ended up doing a lot of polling and jump turns.

So decided to go for a lighter ski, but I know it will be a compromised

Now I've been advised to look at the Scott super glide 95... So much choice these days
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
That's the nice thing about skis these days. Pretty hard to choose a bad ski. Just some skis suit your own style better than others.

If you like the Mindbenders, I'm pretty sure you would like the Waybacks. If you ever skied the Pinnacles, I would say they ski even more similar to the Waybacks.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy