Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas

Poster: A snowHead
Purpose of this post is not recommend me a resort, although may turn into that. And apologies in advance for this slightly dull topic compared to the post on why we are all narcissists.

Due to kids we go away February half term, they love to ski, and it is a fantastic pursuit as a family. I am getting longer in the tooth 47 late this year and I would like to ride my snowboard more for the enjoyment, practice and confidence. With that in mind we are looking at going away Christmas as well as February Half Term. Half term is baked in, tunnel booked and deposit down on Val Cenis hopefully same apartment with MGS Ski as 6 weeks past. Considering Valmeinier for 28th December for a week I know you’ll all say go higher, 3 Valleys, Tignes etc but Valmeinier is a decent height at 1800 metres and more compact for our needs and slightly more cost effective. We don’t need a vast area and the lift pass cost to boot plus my eldest will be 12 and so an adult, yes he can drink, drive, smoke and vote in the forthcoming general election according to the lift passers! Twenty odd years ago with an old girlfriend’s family I went away 3 Decembers on the trot to Schladming twice snow was amazing once not so good but still very skiable just not into town things have moved on since those halcyon days and just have to take your chances. That said pattern over last few years’ looks like good in December, double digit January/February and back to winter in time for Easter and chocolate eggs.

Interested in regular December trippers views and perhaps info on similar sized areas. We will be driving so plan to stick France or just over border.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Your dates look like New Year, rather than Christmas. Personally, if I was looking to get a family week additional to half term, I'd look at Easter. Or failing that, the previous (i.e. Christmas) week which is a bit less crowded than New Year.

The suggestion of Valloire/Valmeinier sounds fine to me.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Origen, Hi thank you. Yes, you're right. When I say Christmas in my mind I meant the Christmas break (kids school hols) the 28th would take us into New Year.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Valloire/Valmeinier is a pretty good choice for the new year period. It doesn't get stupidly busy like the larger resorts, they are an easy drive and ski passes and accom etc are cost effective.

We have a place locally and have been the last couple of years at the same time and had a great time with good snow conditions. You will also find there are various forms of evening entertainment going on including a pretty impressive fireworks display on new year's eve.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@James77,
That early in the season it is not the height of the resort that is important, but the height of the slopes.
I'll chuck in Ste Foy, Bonneval sur Arc & La Rosiere, since you've discounted my prime recommendation - Tignes.
Easter has been mentioned, but it is very late in 2025. However look at the Snowheads Family and/or End of Season bashes.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

it is very late in 2025

yes, that doesn't help. Tignes still fine, though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kenzie wrote:
@James77,
Easter has been mentioned, but it is very late in 2025.

It is very late in 2025, but the easter school holidays only tend to shift by a few days each year so shouldn't have a massive impact.

At least for our area (which are generally pretty typical) the start of the easter school hols for the past few years have been:

2020: 4th April
2021: 3rd April
2022: 9th April
2023: 1st April
2024: 30th March
2025: 5th April
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Kenzie, Often looked at Ste Foy but concerned not too may marked pistes and wondered if it was too off piste heavy for kids?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Handy Turnip wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
@James77,

It is very late in 2025, but the easter school holidays only tend to shift by a few days each year so shouldn't have a massive impact.

At least for our area (which are generally pretty typical) the start of the easter school hols for the past few years have been:

Round here they take the week before Easter (which includes Good Friday) & the week after (which includes Easter Monday). Broke up last Friday.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
James77 wrote:
@Kenzie, Often looked at Ste Foy but concerned not too may marked pistes and wondered if it was too off piste heavy for kids?

Plenty of off-piste if you want it. If not, the other two resorts (or three if we include Tignes).
I'd recommend Christmas week with children over New Years, unless they are old enough to stay awake until midnight for whatever the resort puts on (Tignes' fireworks for the New Year are spectacular, by the way).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kenzie wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
@James77,

Round here they take the week before Easter (which includes Good Friday) & the week after (which includes Easter Monday). Broke up last Friday.

Yeah, lots of places are slightly different so worth the OP checking in case. Although yours are particularly strange (if you don't mind me saying!), you must have some odd term lengths - it'll only be a couple days short of May when they go back to school next year!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Handy Turnip wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
@James77,

Yeah, lots of places are slightly different so worth the OP checking in case. Although yours are particularly strange (if you don't mind me saying!), you must have some odd term lengths - it'll only be a couple days short of May when they go back to school next year!

I provide school transport on Shropshire/Worcestershire border, the school I cover breaks up on 11th April next year and go back on 28th!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Christmas week is quieter than new year week. Still busy but...

Ideally you need trees at that time of year IMO. Hence I usually go to Les Coches.

I've never been Valmeinier but a mate has and he thought it was good.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weather is extremely variable at that time of the year. There is just no telling.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Go high and go the pre Christmas week - the last couple of years the Christmas week has been almost as busy as New Year which has been equal to Feb half term (in France)
snow conditions
@andmelffion, guess it's only one week difference to ours, and it all evens itself out in the end.
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, Thank you. My kids are in school I won't take them out, our decision to have kids with that goes a set of rules. Leaves 2 weeks at over the Christmas period kids don't want to be away over Christmas day which I can understand as they have a blast with cousins so that leaves the second we'll make the best of that. We've never had an issue with half term at all very few lift queues at either Val Cenis or Flaine all the occasion we've been there over February Half term.
ski holidays
Saas Fee might be a good shout for new year week, plenty of high slopes, if you are looking for a relatively low cost option the hostel 4000 is excellent and includes a pool of for the kinds (and a spa for grownups) assuming you can get a booking
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy