Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

N90 traffic madness

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know what on Earth is going on with the N90 out of bourg Saint Maurice?? We saw the chaos coming in to resort last week as those heading out were stuck in miles of congestion. Figured it was end of French school holidays.

Left our accomms at 10am and have travelled about 5km in two hours. Not convinced we’ll make Grenoble check in at 4pm at this rate Eh oh! Eh oh!

Surely it’s not like this every Saturday? I’ve had some hold ups in the past but never experienced it this bad before…
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Usual Saturday traffic I guess as there is no snow in lower resorts. Don't try diverting through Aime village, it is blocked too. It is clear after the tunnel. Should take you about 2.5 hours.

you could have taken the mountain road from BSM to Aime which would avoid some of the problems

There are some roadworks.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Left our accomms at 10am

Worst possible time to leave - that's when people generally have to check out and it's mass exodus time. This discussion comes up quite a lot and it's best to leave either really early (I'd say before Cool or stay and ski and leave late afternoon though this advice is most relevant to self-drivers.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This "traffic madness" is why some tour operators insist on what some guests think are ridiculously early departure times from resorts.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Normal Saturday in March, peak traffic times as forecast and reported.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Each Saturday it’s the same and the same underlying reason. With snow/temperatures less reliable elsewhere, big numbers who’ll only ski in France made the Tarentaise their choice.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We were looking across at the N90 from the train and were very glad we'd chosen that option.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Feeling smug-left St M at 5.30am. Nice drive via Lake Annecy to GVA with a stop at Albertville boulangerie, arrived at airport 7.45am. Landed at Gatwick 10am U.K. time, home at 10.45am.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

left St M at 5.30am

That's the secret!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Perty wrote:
Feeling smug-left St M at 5.30am. Nice drive via Lake Annecy to GVA with a stop at Albertville boulangerie, arrived at airport 7.45am. Landed at Gatwick 10am U.K. time, home at 10.45am.

Yep, that's the way to do it. When we were tied to February holidays we always left at around 06:00 from Montalbert and just missed the queues.
From memory this weekends forecast was 75,000 vehicles out and 60,000 in
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This has just popped up on my Facebook , won’t help the situation

Siaix tunnel closed on both sides. According to initial reports, car on fire inside. Take precautions as you travel. Thank you
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We finally arrived in Ste Foy around 5.30 this evening, about an hour later than we had hoped after leaving Reims at 9 this morning.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Pamski, well done that’s not too bad but it’s going to be a bit of a nightmare for those the Moutiers side of the tunnel
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We saw exactly the same driving up half term week, we left Albertville around 8:20 after charging and drive straight up to resort without any troubles but the queues were huge trying to get out of resort. When leaving we left at 5:45 and drive was easy all the way down not a single queue and got to Albertville 7:20 ish. The year prior we left at 6:45 and we lost I recon 2-3 hours on on the French part of the drive.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Go to the Maurienne, and you will miss at least half of the fun.
On your second Saturday, first go skiing till 1400, and take a hotel underway. Saturday is by far the best day for skiing, because lifts and slopes are empty. And there is no use trying to drive down the mountain to Lyon in the morning.
ski holidays
I always warm people on my social media channels of the usual Saturday chaos on the N90 that always (well nearly always) happens. My advice is leave WAY WAY earlier than you could possibly envisage or arrive way later than necessary and likewise on departure day from resort. Sorry it has happened but its always like that ! People moan about the 0500 departures for an afternoon flight and things like that but its often a case of leave then or miss your flight! Sorry not the best news!
snow report
Took me 6.5 hours to get to Geneva from Tignes yesterday, had to shift my flight back to accommodate as we sat in the traffic
ski holidays
Took a little over 2 hours this morning from montchavin via Lake Annecy, Sunday transfers definitely the way forward
latest report
by most of the chat on here, i am assuming that all this traffic is between BSM and Moutiers, due to it being single lane the majority of the way, and after this is all clears up towards Albertville (and beyond) when you are on the dual carriageway?

if so this is hopefully all avoidable if you are visiting the 3v's in the coming weeks (as i am)
ski holidays
terrygasson wrote:
by most of the chat on here, i am assuming that all this traffic is between BSM and Moutiers, due to it being single lane the majority of the way, and after this is all clears up towards Albertville (and beyond) when you are on the dual carriageway?

if so this is hopefully all avoidable if you are visiting the 3v's in the coming weeks (as i am)

Worst seems to be around Albertville, clears up before you get to Moutiers.
Took my family 11.5 hours to get from Lyon to La Rosiere 4 weeks ago.
latest report
Oops posted in the kids account.
snow report
I'll be driving to Bourg the Friday night the next few times to avoid it.
snow conditions
Tignes to near albertville yesterday was 6 hours.
snow conditions
anyone know what is the issue around Albertville at the moment?

i am staying overnight on the friday in Albertville in a couple of weeks, then leave around 7:30 am for the drive up to VT, its been our usual routine last few years, so hopefully should avoid any major delays
snow conditions
congestion? I'd have thought 7:30 shouldn't be too bad. But safest bet would be to stay in Moutiers instead if you can.
ski holidays
@Canuck, cheers, we like staying in Albertville, more choice of resto's and supermarkets, there never seems to be much accommodation in Moutiers anyway.

its never been a problem with traffic before leaving at that time, and if it does get a bit sticky, may be able to jump on the old valley road (used to be able to do this when i carried out transfers donkeys years ago) before the gendarmes set up road blocks for non-locals.

just wondered if there was roadworks going on around Albertville?
ski holidays
@terrygasson, If you check the Tignes thread I do a Tarentaise traffic forecast each Friday, this Saturday heading up hill was relatively easy apart from a couple of hours mid afternoon.

On a more general point, the worst jams are between Albertville and Moutiers for those travelling to the resorts as the majority of traffic regulation is done at Aigueblanche near the stinky factory formally know as Carbone Savoie. On the way home its the mountain roads and Bourg to Moutiers, as you say once on the autoroute things speed up a little. If its Feb then the peages are also busy as people pay their tolls and the chaos spreads back towards Lyon.
ski holidays
All this of course before the effects of any accidents, snowfall or landslips.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We had zero problems heading from Meribel to Geneva on 10th February, having left Meribel at 9.45 am.
On the 3rd Feb, there were no issues at Albertville going from Annecy to Meribel, leaving Annecy about midday.
Maybe we were lucky.
latest report
Thanks for the response everyone. Took us a total of about 6hrs from BSM to Grenoble. 3hrs of which in that single file jam to the traffic light at the mountain tunnel. After which it cleared completely!

Made it just in time for check in for our 6pm flight! Seems crazy that is the norm!

We did look at the alt route out of BSM but it was blocked off by police.

I do remember some years ago having a similar experience coming back from Tignes on late March, but definitely nowhere near 3hrs.
snow report
Is the Tarentaise generally busier this week than it usually is? The perceived Snowheads wisdom appears to be that everything is far less busy after the French school holidays but it's that the case this year?
snow conditions
@Drifter210, I believe the alternative routes are for locals only. Our experience is it’s always like that - that’s why we’re on the road at 5am
snow report
@Drifter210, The back roads are tiny. They are in no way a suitable alternative route when the N90 is blocked by weight of traffic. If they allowed free access they’d be blocked worse than the N90 in about 3 seconds, but with the added bonus that there would then be no access at all for the emergency services.
ski holidays
@sugarmoma666 it seems from the trip reports before the French holidays that things were busier than usual - I think you encountered some significant queues in Les Saisies. The poor snow conditions all over would be expected to have created more crowding on the pistes with decent snow, but there do seem to have been a lot of bodies around. It's less busy now (judging by the traffic counts above) than during the holidays, but busier than usual for mid March.
snow conditions
@Origen, I was rather hoping that those who know the areas well and are out there now might provide a view. I've been following the forum and am in the Tarentaise currently, so I'm interested in the answer. La Plagne was absolutely heaving on Saturday afternoon and yesterday. Do you have any first hand info?
snow report
@sugarmoma666, The whole area is much busier than previous and not a huge difference now the main school holidays are over.
Val d’Isere for example was at 94% capacity the first 2 weeks of the school holidays 10 -24 Feb (Paris, English, Scandinavian)
the next 2 weeks of school holidays 24 Feb - 9 March (rest of France, Belgium) dropped to 84%
We expected a big drop between 9 March - 16 March but it was minimal to 81% and this week is similar at 79% this is thought to be due to some resorts not having as much snow.

The tourist board judge capacity on bookable beds. Homes like ours aren’t counted so for 3 weeks in Feb we were 0% but the last 2 weeks 80/100%. I know a lot of owners get out of resort in Feb and return in March but probably not enough to alter the figures too much.

We’re back in the UK for 4/5 days with some of us leaving on Sunday at 0700 and the journey to GVA took 2hrs 30mins the next part of the family left Val d’Isere today (Monday) in a transfer van at 0900 and arrived at GVA at 1145. I don’t expect the return journey on Friday am to take any longer than 3hrs but if we had waited until Saturday unfortunately between 6 and 8 hours is normal.
snow conditions
@sugarmoma666, As David says above many lower resorts are closed through lack of snow including many village lifts that the locals use.
If you look at the Montalbert webcam it looks like May not March, I expect that they will let the one piste returning to the village go after the rain and high temps in the forecast and rely on the Gondola for return to the village. Certainly the first time this has happened in the 20+ years we have been going to Montalbert. Whilst on the webcam look at the car park during the day and then in the evening (you can fiddle with the time of day) the car park is full when the lifts are open and then half empty overnight which shows the level of day trippers - multiply that by all the car parks through La Plagne and that is a lot more visitors than normal. The other gauge we use is the number of coaches parked by the bottom of the Bergerie lift - if theres more than 6 its going to busy!
Also not forgetting the Saturday only lift pass is very cheap for La plagne (Sunday is also discounted) - which has spoilt the best day of the week for short lift queues.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 19-03-24 12:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

Certainly the first time this has happened in the 20+ years we have been going to Montalbert.

That's very telling, isn't it? Crying or Very sad
snow report
@Origen, Sadly, yes Sad Apparently it was 19c on the balcony in Montalbert and lightly raining yesterday... I'm buying extra sun tan protection for our trip later this month. Maybe I should be packing an umbrella as well Cool
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
@sugarmoma666, As David says above many lower resorts are closed through lack of snow including many village lifts that the locals use.
If you look at the Montalbert webcam it looks like May not March, I expect that they will let the one piste returning to the village go after the rain and high temps in the forecast and rely on the Gondola for return to the village. Certainly the first time this has happened in the 20+ years we have been going to Montalbert. Whilst on the webcam look at the car park during the day and then in the evening (you can fiddle with the time of day) the car park is full when the lifts are open and then half empty overnight which shows the level of day trippers - multiply that by all the car parks through La Plagne and that is a lot more visitors than normal. The other gauge we use is the number of coaches parked by the bottom of the Bergerie lift - if theres more than 6 its going to busy!
Also not forgetting the Saturday only lift pass is very cheap for La plagne (Sunday is also discounted) - which has spoilt the best day of the week for short lift queues.

Having said that the Montalbert main car park has spaces today https://laplagne.roundshot.com/montalbert/#/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy