Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs Piste Avalanche March 22 (Today)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

Love this site, long time lurker, first time poster (but unfortunately not a happy one)
I'm a Canadian guy on a ski holiday in France for 2 weeks. I witnessed the aftermath of a very large on-piste avalanche here in Les Arcs this afternoon. The snow slid down onto an active blue piste. I think it may have been "Arpette" or "Charmettoger." It looked to have happened about 15 minutes after I'd come down the trail and then back up the lift. Teams and dogs were already on-site.
I'm pretty shaken up but I can't find any information yet if there were people hurt or trapped. Does anyone happen to have any additional information please? I would love to hear there was nobody hurt!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 22-03-24 19:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://ibb.co/KhPX5Yv

https://ibb.co/fSM2yp0
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There have been a large number of slabcracks in France in recent weeks.

Months of rain, snow, rain cycles have made the base everywhere unstable.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It looks like the bottom of Font Blanc to me. I suspect the piste was closed at the time due to the avalanche risk
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Canuckski1, Must have been scary for you !! :: and Welcome ...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It started near the top of the Carrelly lift (just to the right of the lift line, as you look up the hill), crossing the Arpette track twice, where it loops back on itself to head towards 1600. Local reports suggest no injuries.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skied that pitch countless times. Always sobering to see something slide on terrain that you don't usually worry about.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/3835619950005528
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Photos from a Les Arcs Facebook group

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What time was it? I skied down the top of Arpette a few times this afternoon It was certainly very warm today and quite a few people were in the area so so glad there are no casualties
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They seem to have got organised very quickly. Fingers crossed.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow, thanks a million for the update rob@rar. Impressive slide and It's a miracle no one was hurt! I'll sleep a lot better tonight knowing that.
Headed to Tignes tomorrow and I must say I'll be a little more aware of my surroundings next week!

And Albob thanks for the welcome! Eh oh!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowymum, the timestamp on my lift photo was 3:50pm, so it was most likely 15-20 mins before.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Canuckski1, I skied down from the top of Arpette at around 3pm and turned onto Froide Fontaine where I took a photo at 3:05 and probably took Arpette back up at 3:20ish so must have just skied back over the ridge to join my son in 2000 before it happened. Feeing relieved I didn’t do another run on that side.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Done that run countless times as well Shocked

Heading to Les Arcs tomorrow- will be keeping my open!!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy