Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It begins again

Poster: A snowHead
First day back at the hill. Was supposed to be a training day, but after the first 2 hour lecture, plans were changed.

No access to the underground parking, or plowed spaces, but I got lucky

On the ride up to work

the ride

http://youtube.com/v/EU_FzMwjdfA

Under the metal walkway we had stored most of the ski areas signposts. They needed dragging out and sorting

If you need to carry a lot stuff (scafolding in this case) around a ski resort, use a crate on the front of a snowcat.

http://youtube.com/v/qw3lNebsUow
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Idris, Have a great season as one of the hidden heroes of the ski industry.

Keep us updated when you have the time!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have a good season, @Idris, looking forward to your reports.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Idris, good stuff. No doubt we'll be cruising past your base a few times this season.

I look forward to updates.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good start - keep it up with pics!
Have a good season!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good post.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Keep us informed & thank you for your service
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have a great Winter
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Man you are having your dream time there Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As @ninetail, I look with envy but would appreciate Idris’ take if I romanticise your job too much? Being there and doing what you do is super nice but what are the tough bits? Dealing with injuries/casualties, etc?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mooney058 wrote:
As @ninetail, I look with envy but would appreciate Idris’ take if I romanticise your job too much? Being there and doing what you do is super nice but what are the tough bits? Dealing with injuries/casualties, etc?

Yes, obviously there are some tough bits, like dealing with injuries, casualties even sometimes hostile locals. It can be dangerous and stressful at times. I genuinely thank Idris for his service though
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mooney058 wrote:

We had a few realy nice days of setup, with some occasionaly spectacular views

Strangely....athough not if I think about it, none of my colleagues ever just take a moment to look around and think how beautiful a place this is....they have never known any different.

I do

I leanred to drive a Telepherique, it didn't come with instructons. I just had to remember what the lifty does and then push the right buttons and turn the right switches. I was next to the pannel, so I was my turn and just expected to get on with it.

When we are doing setup and we need more people moving than fit an a snowmobile - just use a piste basher

http://youtube.com/v/x6QDdFTtRhg

We had a nice enough opening weekend, only a few call outs, a knee, a thuumb and a broken binding.

The weather wasn't always going to co operate.

MONDAY had a day of three of us battling wind and rain trying to puyt up snow fences and trail markers. Windy enough that sometimes I was towed by the snowmobile, and sometimes I was just being anchored by it.

http://youtube.com/shorts/I2aB8Gq4thQ

Wednesday we did lift evacuation training, in the pooring rain. Started out as knee deep slush on grass. Ended up as ankle deep snow, to none on mud

Up the tower, along the cable

http://youtube.com/shorts/TqOS8uj70Fc

And once you get to the apropraite chair, its down to the stuck people to lower them to the ground

Now friday and the weather is co operating again, time to get ready for the re-opening for the weekend.
Making as much snow as possible co cover up all that mud

http://youtube.com/v/XcPnUs9s5D4

And while re planting ALL the piste markers, there were a few nice views

Unfortunatley there wasn't enough snow to cover everything. So to get to the Radaz resturant, the only one than's open we spent the afternoon shoveling

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Beautiful! Top pictures!

Tea, lunch, pushing buttons, riding piste bashers, playing Tarzan on wires - no wonder no time for work Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From the title I assumed this was another scintillating discussion about winter tires.

...but its way better than that. Go get 'em and keep the interesting stuff coming!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Idris, love reading your reports.
latest report
This is fascinating ! Thank you .
latest report
@Idris, fantastic, something I might have done in another life.....
latest report
Had a tough end of day today.

Closing the Stade de Descent (Black) at Cote 2000, where if first gets close to Chamois (Red). There were 4 people laying in the snow. I think, here we go, drunks that don't want to go home. Started picking up the highest one. She proceded to fall over again but once helped, skied off fine.....but the one laying on her back facing uphill, wasn't able to get up and go home.

She had skied off the Chamois following the others and like them had crashed, but instead of a messy heap, she had done a front doubble flip.

I called my work mates, they had to restart the Cote 2000 chair to go back up and get a sled, a vacuum matteras and lifting equipment.

By broken girl had back, pelvic and shoulder pain. After a quick call to the Evergency services we evacuated her by vaccum materas on a rescue sled to an ambulance at cote 2000 to Sallanches hospital.

As she had comand over all her extremities, was not screaming in pain and her viatal signs were otherwise normal, a non heli evac was quicker than waiting....today was a busy day in the Haute Savoie for accidents and serious cases take priority.

I ended up doing the sled descent in the dark, having to avoid 2 piste bashers who had already started up. We ourselves then got stuck in Megeve traffic to get back to the office, so I got home 12 1/2 hours after I left this morning....quite tiring.

snow conditions
Wow, the difficult part of your job.4
Respect and well done for helping the poor souls!
latest report
Gripping thread.
ski holidays
Chapeau!
snow report
The next two days, thngs of note.
Saturday, in holidays with great weather and harsh (concrete pistes) conditions, normaly means busy with rescues.
Morning was almost dead, early afternoon, I and 2 others did very simple rescues. Mine was a guy from northern france who'd banged his knee hard enough that skiing wasn't realy an option and he was terified of the conditions anyway, simple evacuation and ambulance.
BUT as we were closing the pistes and shutting lifts the alrm went off twice in as many min! I headed out with a vaccum matterass to help 2 colleagues with arabic guy who didn't speak any french with a badly banged (but probably not broken) hip. As soon as he was in the sled, I heded down to help with another rescue. This time a rather portly lass from Lyon who had crashed and properly broken her knee. The piste was so hard we had problems standing, let alone lifting anyone. With the help of a snowmaker and another patroler who arrived on snowmobiles (its getting dark at this point) we managed to get the now rather unhappy lass in the rescue sled. By the time we go both down to the roadside it was completely dark.
Today, new years eve. Not hhe best weather and very windy. Windy to the point of us having to wait for lifts to be able to move to go and open runs. I was on early lunch (11.30 ish), 5 min after lunch our first (of only 2) alarms went off, my buddie Roger responded (He is the other Brit on our team). He called in 10 min later needing the oxygen set, but for its measuring equipment rather than the oxygen. I arrived to find a group of Italian university students, one of whom had taken a nasty tumble and (very) upset his shoulder. When we call for Rescue help or even doctors advice they want ALL the measurements you can give them. An hour an a quater later (it was a busy day esewhere for rescues) the PHGM landed and droped off 2 resuers and a doctor. The doc couldn't put the shoulder back in place on the hill, he though the head of the humerus may be broken. 5 min later he was odd to Sallanches hospital.

http://youtube.com/v/XkPYJm9Zp_4

The ski home tonight was in fresh snow, 10-20cm deep in a blizzard at dusk, so real skiing by braille stuff.
snow conditions
Respect and thanks to you and your colleagues!
ski holidays
Wow, @Idris, that's quite a couple of days! Chapeau, as somebody already said.....
latest report
@Idris, my God, what a job! I think most punters are completely unaware of what you actually do. Chapeau et merci!
snow conditions
@Idris, Do you ever get feedback from the people you rescue, I don’t mean them personally but do you get a report from the hospital advising what the actual injuries were, I’m assuming no one will know for sure until X-ray.

Having been on the receiving end of an evacuation, all I can say is thanks for the great job you guys do.
ski holidays

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 2-01-24 20:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Jonny996 wrote:
@Idris, Do you ever get feedback from the people you rescue, I don’t mean them personally but do you get a report from the hospital advising what the actual injuries were, I’m assuming no one will know for sure until X-ray.

Having been on the receiving end of an evacuation, all I can say is thanks for the great job you guys do.

Yes.

A week or so ago we had at almost the end of day we had a snowborder catch an edge and slam to a stop on a hard surface next to one of the lifts.
She had all the signs of a broken pelvice and associated injuries. Full body imobilisation, helicopter evacuation to Sallanches Hospital etc.
We found out from her father the next day she had no broken bones or torn ligaments. But was suffciently bruised, bangged up that they were keeping her in for a seccond night!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @Idris, we rely on your piste patrols being there.

Brother-in-law is out this week with a couple of over-confident teenagers, I am hoping they won't need your services!
ski holidays
Idris wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:

Yes.

A week or so ago we had at almost the end of day we had a snowborder catch an edge and slam to a stop on a hard surface next to one of the lifts.
She had all the signs of a broken pelvice and associated injuries. Full body imobilisation, helicopter evacuation to Sallanches Hospital etc.
We found out from her father the next day she had no broken bones or torn ligaments. But was suffciently bruised, bangged up that they were keeping her in for a seccond night!

The helicopter for this particular rescue. Watch closely for the deer in the first few sec!

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/GXVpcPl4nDY
ski holidays
Fascinating reread. Thank you to you and your team for your fantastic work.
snow report
Please leep the reports coming @Idris, They're a brilliant insight into your work for the rest of us.
ski holidays
Lovely seeing the deer. Thank you for sharing that. What a beautiful environment you work in!
snow report
If you ever wonderedd how a rescue sled gets back up the mountain, here is me taking my now empty sled up the Arpette 6 man chair to go back to base. When it is loaded, there is an aluminum cradle that clips into the Chair a bit like a giant version of the iso fix that child seats use in cars. With just enough room (on a 6 man chair) for me to squese in the end.

ski holidays
Clever! When you're not completely knackered from your day saving people, can you share how you got into this line of work please?
snow report
@Jude1, I'm sure that @Idris will respond, but I seem to remember him doing a thread about how he became one.
snow report
Thank you and your colleagues Idris - very much appreciated.
snow conditions
swskier wrote:
@Jude1, I'm sure that @Idris will respond, but I seem to remember him doing a thread about how he became one.

This thread?
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=153968
snow report
@sugarmoma666, that's the one!
ski holidays
@Idris, This is my favourite thread on snowheads. Many thanks for your work and your insightful updates.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy