Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Free Slalom

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
Can I does anybody have any experience of resorts where they have the free to use slalom runs
I'm aware some are even filmed and timed and you can access the results from your ski pass online
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@bert7cosby, slalom or giant slalom?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In Chamonix: https://www.montblancnaturalresort.com/en/skimovie

The one at Le Tour/Balme is open most of the time.

Brevent slightly less frequently - sometime set up for skischools/team training only, or just not set up that day for operational reasons.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's one in the Männlichen sector of the Wengen / Grindelwald ski area in the Jungfrau region. It has timing and video recording. It’s open every day.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Courchevel 1850 has a public one off the Epicea drag lift. They used to have the BMW X Drive Cup which was timed and filmed on the main stade but I think they've had to move it due to the much higher profile that Courchevel has now on professional racing. The new one is sponsored by Head - don't know if it's got video tech or not.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is it just for fun or does it need to be a proper slalom course with accurately measured gates etc?

I believe the ones in Chamonix valley are all panelled, something between a GS and pro-slalom. There's no accuracy in those, tourist can and do move the gates. (Just in case it's for anything important like an A-level video)

If you're wanting to practice a proper slalom or giant slalom in France, most ESFs put on weekly Fleche and Chamoix races. They're open to anyone and cost something like £8. That's probably your best bet for practicing the real deal. (if it's for something important like an A-level video)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bert7cosby wrote:
Hi all,
Can I does anybody have any experience of resorts where they have the free to use slalom runs
I'm aware some are even filmed and timed and you can access the results from your ski pass online

Timed & filmed I doubt would be free.
IIR there is a pay to use parallel slalom in the Val d'Isere park.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zell and Kaprun both have free timed and filmed runs.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kenzie wrote:

The Courchevel X Drive was. Or at least it was as long as you had a lift pass. You scanned your lift pass at the top and then could access the video online later using the pass number.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kenzie wrote:
bert7cosby wrote:
Hi all,

I suspect the OP is using the term 'slalom' loosely to mean any sort of run that's timed be it GS or ski cross or just a bunch of gates chucked at the ground, which are commonly available for free. (as opposed to the sort of thing required for an A level video)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GS, a couple gates, timed run, Aime2000 in La Plagne.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lots of places around the Sella Ronda. In the area of Alpe Di suisi there are at least four. One filmed, one double, one pretty long (took us about a min). All of them timed. We had a lot of fun challenging ourselves to beat our high scores every day. They're all free.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Schaldming, Wagrain, Flachau and Saalbach/Hinterglemm has these. These courses aren't set up like a true competitive race course though so not sure they'd count for a-level filming.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
Kenzie wrote:

The Courchevel X Drive was. Or at least it was as long as you had a lift pass. You scanned your lift pass at the top and then could access the video online later using the pass number.

Same with the Chamonix and Le Tour ones, and the speed skiing course. All free.

The downside is they were pretty short. As @Canuck says, worth paying a few Euros to do the Fleche and Chamois instead. I think I paid E20 for my kids to the Fleche all day (at least 6 runs).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If your son is keen to practice proper races in the alps, why not sign up for the end of year bash (Val Thorens) and put him in the local ESF competition group which goes up to age 18 https://www.ski-school-valthorens.co.uk/kids-teens/competition-course/
You could maybe film from the sidelines, still not sure if it would count for A levels, but it would certainly be a good way to practice and get expert coaching. I think they did 3 GS races and 3 slalom races last year plus lots of untimed runs.
latest report
They filmed them as well, but the quality wasn't top notch.
ski holidays
What is the one in meribel altiport like, going to be in 3v after next week and while a stubbie slalom course would be ideal anything resembling a course will go down well with the flying twig. I have noticed gs courses being set on the mottaret webcam that I have an addiction to checking , seems to be fenced off and served by a drag lift though.
latest report
Glosterwolf wrote:
I have noticed gs courses being set on the mottaret webcam that I have an addiction to checking , seems to be fenced off and served by a drag lift though.

Sounds like you're describing the stade maybe? If so, that'll be roped off for competitions and training only. Worth contacting the local esf if flying twig wants a shot in it, they'll run classes and races open to anyone who's finished ski school.
ski holidays
Yeah it is stade. She hasn't done any french ski school and im not sure if she would be ready for it anyway. We will have a look at what there is over at the altiport and see if conditions are any good. Not sure how well it holds out over there? appears to be north facing and about 1800m so might be ok. Similar altitude to stade i suppose.
snow report
@bert7cosby, Castleford and Manchester Snowdomes are running timed Slalom sessions. Castleford provide full video and analysis reports too.

Not sure if they meet the A-Level requirements but they meet GCSE.
snow conditions
Meribel one is two parallel runs, one with red gates, one with blue. Start box, so you can race a mate if you are into that. Don't think there is any timing or filming.
snow report
Cool They love a bit of dual slalom, they have 3 rounds of it in the summer race league they do at Gloucester. Are they stubbies or full size?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy