Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Terrible traffic In the N90

Poster: A snowHead
Stuck in a traffic jam on the N90. My sat nav keeps telling me to get off but our coach driver must have a different one
Probably won't make the cut off time for dinner at the hotel.
What's really bad is I've not got any tonic for the duty free gin in my bag! Eh oh!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gixxerniknik wrote:
Stuck in a traffic jam on the N90. My sat nav keeps telling me to get off but our coach driver must have a different one
Probably won't make the cut off time for dinner at the hotel.
What's really bad is I've not got any tonic for the duty free gin in my bag! Eh oh!

Probably the police not letting him get off the N90. Or does your sarnav mean 'get off the coach'? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, there's heavy traffic on the side roads too I can see now. Police lights on every road. Something's going on.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gixxerniknik wrote:
Yes, there's heavy traffic on the side roads too I can see now. Police lights on every road. Something's going on.

What’s going on is exactly what goes on most Saturdays… The police are too slow to shut the side exits and/or divert non-locals back on to the N90. All the tourists try to outsmart the system by heading down any available back road and the secondary system then gets blocked, meaning that anywhere further down the valley is inaccessible for the emergency services and that locals are effectively trapped in their houses/villages…
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I get that Saturday is changeover day but the French school hols finish this week.
Plod are on every junction with bollards and blues, not allowing people on.

I've been coming here for years and never had it this bad.
Just thought there must be an accident or something.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been hearing horror stories of 6 or 7 hour transfers from Geneva to the Tarentaise resorts the last few Saturdays. Has something changed in how the roads are being managed?

I'm feeling quite glad we'll (fingers crossed) be whizzing past all this on the train from Paris next week.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
7 hour transfer from Grenoble to Val D'Isere a couple of weeks ago Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
With poor conditions in low villages, would this stem from bigger numbers heading instead to the Tarentaise?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We have people arriving from Geneva airport tonight. Google maps is currently showing 2hrs 6 mins from Geneva airport to Champagny with a 6 minute delay shortly before Moutiers
@gixxerniknik, Have you managed to get past the traffic?
We could be in for a late night.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Apparently an accident near BsM
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@skichampcouk, we stopped in Moutiers briefly and now are going again. It's still slow but better than it was. Now ETA is 9:45.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It was walking pace from just before Albertville to Moutiers.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@gixxerniknik, Thanks
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

I spoke too soon!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@skichampcouk, it's ok past Moitiers.
snow report
exactly as offpisteskiing says - standard Saturday really! Doh!
latest report
France-bound traffic from Geneva looked grim at 09:30 this morning. Just nose-to-tail for miles.
Thankfully we were Italy-bound.
snow report
Geneva to Les Men was smooth and quick at 9am on Saturday (yesterday) 8/3
Traffic off the mountain looked v busy.
Standard stuff really.
Our driver did get pulled and checked for paper work by police. He said it’s been happening more and more this year.

Very glad we’ve booked this week.
Altho very windy in resort and 3V links shut yesterday.
Hope it’s better today
snow report
Radio La Plagne traffic report for the weekend stated 87,000 vehicles out and 67,000 vehicles in. (I have no idea how they get to those numbers) and that's just the La Plagne traffic Shocked
If only there was a railway line along the valley to Bourg eh!
snow report
@boredsurfin, Those figures are measured between Albertville and Mouiers, it’s the whole of the Tarentaise valley. For Saturday the estimate was for 34k leaving and 32k arriving. Savoie-route.fr have developed a sophisticated forecasting system which goes back to the 92 Olympics. When the forecasts are compared with the actual they are rarely more than a thousand out.
ski holidays
No problem arriving by rail yesterday. Very Happy
ski holidays
This week, the first after the French "vacances scolaire" is often one of the most desirable in the season - optimum combination of daylight hours, snow cover and crowds. So still busy. But the obsession with Saturday transfer days is a horror.
snow report
@chocksaway, Cheers for the info, I've wondered how they arrive at those figures
snow conditions
Origen wrote:
the obsession with Saturday transfer days is a horror.

I suppose apartment owners want to maximize their returns during peak periods although most hotels in France are on the same model.
latest report
and they refuse non-standard bookings even in very quiet periods when there are tons of empty rooms

It's partly a French thing to all rush off on holiday on the same day. When I pointed out to our French neighbours that, having now retired, they could just drive down on, say, a Wednesday they had a good think before agreeing that that could well be a good idea. Even the motor-caravanners used to come and go on Saturdays.
ski holidays
It was so difficult to find cleaners on Saturdays that some of our co-owners paid me - and I'm a useless cleaner!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy