Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding adjustment question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm borrowing my partner's skis for a holiday rather than take my own, as hers are more suited to the skiing I'll be doing and she's not coming. They have Tyrolia Sympro SP12 rental bindings, and when I've borrowed them before I had no problem adjusting them to my boots, which I recall involved sliding the front bit forward to match my boot length range. Is there something I need to do to with the rear piece as well? I think there is but can't remember what. I've already adjusted the DIN setting to the same as on my skis. I've also done the AFD gap check.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 8-03-24 13:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@J2R, are they an appropriate colour?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, they're not actually women's skis, thank goodness!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@J2R, you haven’t mentioned forward pressure. Really important to have that set correctly.

https://theskimonster.com/blog/posts/how-to-adjust-your-tyrolia-ski-bindings/

Doing this is embedded in here…

https://cdn-magento2-media.head.com/wysiwyg/hrs/2-HEAD-RentalSolutionsHandbook-21_22-A4-PRO.pdf
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@valais2, thanks, I'll take a look. I should have said that the rear piece has a set of letters and numbers on it, with ranges coloured with colours which match the ones for the boot length range on the toe piece. I just can't remember or easily find out what this means. With the boot in the binding, the arrow is over the letter N in KLMN, the red range (matching the 303-318mm range). Given that my BSL is 313mm, this would suggest that this is correct, towards the top of the range. Correct?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It's hard to say and to make life easy it varies from binding make to make, model to model, and year to year.

From the description it's likely you set the toe to match the BSL, then the heal to match the colour - but often there's some form of forward pressure indicator to correctly set the heal position. For example on my old Rossignol rail binding skis you have numbers for the toe/letters for the heal - but no colours. Instead there's a little indicator window in the side of the heal block and you set it to a random letter/clip a boot in/check if the window shows black or yellow. You then try different different letters up or down aiming to get the indicator window showing 50% black/50% yellow. But the correct version for your bindings could be 'all yellow' or 'no yellow', or it could be a 'button' that pokes out and should be flush with something. You might be able to work backwards by clipping your wife's boots in and looking for anything that changes on the heal block or googling till you find the binding model, then finding adjustment instructions.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mjit, thanks. Pretty sure I've got it now, and done the forward pressure as well. Still not entirely sure what the letters/numbers at the back are about, though. Having slid the toe piece forward to the right BSL range for my boot, my boot clicks nicely into place with no unwanted play at back or front, so any adjustment of the heel piece would mean it wouldn't then fit right. I suspect it's probably that as it is now, it's spot on, but I'm surprised that it would have been right for my wife's as well, as her boot length is much less. I'm going with someone who will be hiring skis so maybe I'll plead with the shop to look it over Sunday morning.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You're assuming they were properly set for your wife's boots. I got a hire shop to set mine when they were new and it was only when I got new boots I dig into what bindings I had/how to adjust them...and realised they weren't set quite correct for my old boots.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some boots don't actually go into the corresponding size indications on binding.
Forward pressure is more important than anything. I'd set the toes 1st, then keep in the corresponding colours at the rear, checking forward pressure to get yourself right. If in doubt get a professional to check it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads

Valais2 link already showed where the indicator is but this pic may also be clearer for you, if the marker is between the lines and middle of boot mark in same place on both skis you should be fine.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@J2R, ....do check the forward pressure using the indicators in the photo above - it does have to be right for the bindings to avoid pre-release and operate accurately at the DIN settings.

Some bindings (Marker Squire etc) need a very high level of forward pressure and people tend to underestimate it on those and set it lower, then they get nasty pre-release, which can be very dangerous. Simple antidote is to know the binding requirements and set and check and set again if need be.

You mentioned that you set up the skis with the same DIN as your skis but have you done a double check that your DIN is right for you? Forgive me if you are top of this.

Here's a nice Rossignol DIN table with weight and BSL.

https://www.newschoolers.com/photos/view/122185/Rossi-Din-Chart
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the help. It doesn't actually say precisely where the indicating pointer should be within the scribed area, and seems to suggest that anywhere within the area is OK ("should rest within the scribed area"). In my case I have 4 lines showing, which means it's slightly off the centre but well within the range.

@valais2, thanks for the DIN cautions. Yes, definitely needs to be done with care. I've looked at a number of guides, in fact, and the typical figure suggested is 5.5 which is what I have it set at.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@J2R, ....yes that's fine...we always aim for the mid point but some combinations of heel and toe adjustment give you a little bit less or a little bit more, but as long as it's within the bounds of the marks it's good.

That's great re DINs....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@valais2, the DIN setting and others are particularly in my mind at the moment, as one of our original party of 4 for the ski trip has been unable to make it as a result of breaking his tibia skiing a few weeks ago. Binding didn't release.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy