Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lech v St. Anton

Poster: A snowHead
We are 4 basic intermediates planning a trip most likely to Austria 1st week in February. We are looking for long easy blues, snow sure (yes we know!) ski in ski out and some decent bars (not too much to ask for !). We are narrowing down our options and so far like the look of Lech and St Anton. Any specific recommendations most welcome - thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How lively do you like your bars? Not very = Lech, very = St Anton. Personally I prefer the Lech area, generally quieter on the runs and with the link over to Warth there is lots to keep you happy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep nothing crazy so not party central but still a need to stay hydrated!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not sure Id recommend either for what you want. But of the two Lech is closer.
St Anton doesn't have many decent blues and is not ski in ski out.
Lech has some ski in ski out, has some excellent blues and a very good snow record. It's pretty pricey.
You might consider somewhere like Obertauern or Saalbach.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@timmythedog, A subject guaranteed to start an argument! Personally I dont think either has any "long easy blues" though St Anton does have pretty long blue runs from the Ulmer hut back to the village / Stuben, both get crowded and moguled. If you are looking for French style ski in / out that is in short supply and expensive, Oberlech does have such but is just about the most expensive area of Lech. St Anton's skiing is best for those who want a bit of a challenge (you dont have to be a rubber legged expert). Lech is somewhat more mellow though perhaps more reds than blues (not that the colour of a piste should be a criteria, snow condition more important). Lech has the link to Warth which does have a good number of easy pistes. Zürs only has a limited number of blue lines on the ski map and would be a bus connection back to Lech unless you steel yourselves for the Madloch ski route. If bars & apres are important then St Anton is a top choice (arguably the best anywhere), generally folk dont go to Lech if "decent bars" are important unless champagne is ones tipple of choice.

Personally I think you might be better off looking elsewhere, Ischgl or Saalbach for example. Both have good amounts of easy skiing and plenty of watering holes.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks so much - spoiled for choice!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
1+ for Ischgl to meet your requirements, Samnaun side is full of easy blues and the Ischgl side has a really excellent progression from easy wide reds upwards in difficulty. The Ischgl village has underground tunnels with travelators that can take the sting out of any walk to the lifts.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@timmythedog, Lech proper has plenty of ski in/out or close by as well. But, as mentioned, no 'Austrian' aprés.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
St Anton definitely and we've always stayed at the Cafe Sailor (B&B) which is right next to Galzig and Rendl gondolas plus the Gampen chair which is usually the best one to get first thing. Email them direct for a quote as we've always been given a better price than through the website. The Sailor is also a short walk from the train station if you're arriving that way.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Jammy 07, did you read the OP's first post? He's asking for long easy blues...St.Anton?? rolling eyes
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Langerzug,
Yep well the OP asked for an opinion between Lech and St Anton so on balance and given it's four mates going I'd say the answer is fairly obvious.

Enough blues around the area for them to never get bored, although some may prove challenging depending on their ability. They could of course choose a more suitable resort entirely but it's also possible St Anton will be the making of them as it was for me.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On theory, basic intermediates can ski anywhere including sliding sideways (aka survival) on icy black pistes.
But this is SO different from enjoying and making the most of what the resort has to offer and going from place to place without a worry.
IMO Arlberg has good VFM for challenge loving decent skiers who arrive in good form and are skilled to enjoy mogulled/slushed/icy pistes.
For all the rest it is a waste of money and time, but it always sounds good to be able to mention in a later discussion that you skied St Anton and it was awesome.
Lech has definitely more blue pistes and is less challenging and troubling.
But the apres is mellow and prices are HUGE.
Folks mentioned Obertauern and Saalbach (with Hinterglemm). They were right.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Jammy 07, I tend to agree with you, pushing your own personal abilities in St Anton is a really good way to improve. Problem is once you have skied the Arlberg most other places dont really appeal any more. However I can see the crowds, limited "easy" skiing, prices etc are not for everyone. If what you want is a bit of straight forward skiing straight from the front door then a few beers to round off the day neither Lech or St Anton will be ideal.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Perhaps Soll would be much more suitable.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Save Stanton & Lech till you can appreciate it
ski holidays
@munich_irish, I used to ski St.Anton almost every weekend (I was young!), but for me it has almost completely lost it's appeal. I find it is far too crowded and the apres has developed to a point where I just find it distressing... the valley run through Happy Valley is downright dangerous... my favourite powder fields on the Albona are skied out within minutes now that access from Alpe Rauz is so easy... in fact, because of the improved lift infrastructure there seem to be a lot more people on the pistes.
Anyway the result, for me at least, is that I have come to appreciate the smaller less well known places which may not have the long runs of St. A but are more relaxed and generally enjoyable
latest report
Lech = posh and old
St Anton = young and rowdy
snow report
@Steilhang, post Covid the apres has changed somewhat, much more expensive and a number of the smaller bars in the village have gone. The age profile seems to have gone up, last season it was noticeable how many 50+ folk there were - perhaps why Gunar remains so popular. Far fewer brits / dutch / scandis staggering down Dorfstrasse in ski boots come 9pm. Crowding on piste is an issue, I have avoided the Steissbachtal for a long time, I think the risk of a collision is simply too high. Despite rumours of plans to improve the situation with additional home runs (from St Christoph or remodelling the bottom of the Kandahar run) nothing seems to be happening, it needs to be sorted. I agree that simply having better lifts can mean too many folk actually skiing but that is not just an Arlberg issue. I still think the positives far outweigh the negatives
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:

St Anton = young and rowdy
not anymore they cant afford it!
ski holidays
I'd go to Ischgl or Saalbach, OP, for your requirements.
snow report
For long easy blues, ski-in/ski out, and decent bars, I'd recommend looking into Ischgl or Saalbach they seem to tick all your boxes.
snow report
Does anyone know any site where you can book season long accommodation for this area?
ski holidays
@Thew2002, Try contacting the various tourist offices as they are the primary contact point for accommodation. You might be better off with one of the satellite villages most notably Pettneu. https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/accommodation/seasonal-accommodation
snow report
@Thew2002, what @munich_irish says.
Even the Lech-skischool had to buy a property as far as the village of Dalaas for its instructors. (30 minutes by car from Lech).
Don't think there is dedicated website, but I remember seeing seasonal spaces coming by on https://inside-lech.com/fundgrube
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy