Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

you no helmet folks

Poster: A snowHead
just curious. why do you choose not to wear a helmet skiing or snowboarding? don’t really care about the risk of a major head injury?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@eaglesandsnowboarding, simply a BHS (big headed syndrome) some people suffer from and could not find a big enough helmet Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@eaglesandsnowboarding, I suppose we don't wear one because we cannot see the point. This argument finished years ago - some people want to wear a helmet some don't.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Honestly the helmet Vs no helmet thing is so boring and done to death. Nobody cares. Do whatever you want. (I say this as someone that does wear one).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is an unnecessarily provocatively phrased question, @eaglesandsnowboarding. Deciding against a particular safety precaution doesn't mean that people "don't care" about the risk. They've decided it's a risk they're willing to take. You would be safer in your car with a helmet on, like a racing driver. And you would be safer in your house if you had hand rails on all stairs, and used them. But most of us choose to live dangerously - or at any rate less safely - nonetheless. Huge numbers of people are overweight, or drink more than recommended, or don't get enough exercise, or have no idea what their cholesterol level is. I do a lot of cruiser sailing and don't generally wear a lifejacket.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This is where the "the forum moderates itself" argument breaks down. Someone needs to lock the thread.

@eaglesandsnowboarding, stop being a lazy and contentious whatsit, do a search and read the many thousands of posts that already exist on the subject.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@eaglesandsnowboarding, please use the search function and you'll find more answers than probably you bargained for.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i love angry bitter people online lol
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Je suis un Skieur, sorry, cross post (though mine was less cross Laughing)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
eaglesandsnowboarding wrote:
i love angry bitter people online lol

Honestly, it's not that. It's just if you search you will find that this topic has been done to death here. We're all bored with it. And if you take a look you'll find lots of answers to the question.

Short summary is:

Most of us do wear helmets because we find them comfortable and think they make a modest contribution to safety that is worth having.
A minority find them uncomfortable and think the modest safety benefits don't outweigh that.

It's actually not very interesting.

Pole-clicking is much more fun Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
if you’re bored with it. simple. don’t read the post
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
if you’re bored with it. simple. don’t read the post
everybody please note, or at least don't further feed the troll by replying.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And if you want to engage in an argument about perception of risk, @eaglesandsnowboarding, which I find an interesting topic because we are ALL very irrational about it, please feel free to respond to the points I've made.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@eaglesandsnowboarding, you'll probably get more joy asking over on TRG

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@eaglesandsnowboarding, it's the way you post it just looking to stir up controversy. There are very interesting discussions to be had like; "why don't we see higher mortality rates in non helmet wearers?" and discussing nuanced areas of pros and cons. For example do helmets increase risk taking behaviour? But that's not what you are after
snow report
Just another dumb Yank who thinks he's being clever. Half his posts on here are trolling.
ski holidays
you people are wayyyy to serious. lighten up.
ski holidays
And who can't write English.
latest report
elitist Brit
latest report
Quote:

Huge numbers of people are overweight, or drink more than recommended, or don't get enough exercise,

Hello that's me Toofy Grin

@eaglesandsnowboarding, what's your thought on winter tyres and clicking poles
snow conditions
i spell tyres tires and i have zero clue what a clicking pole is
ski holidays
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
Just another dumb Yank who thinks he's being clever. Half his posts on here are trolling.

you sound like a lovely loving open minded person.
snow report
@eaglesandsnowboarding is the new stanton. Time to update the ignore list
snow report
snow conditions
Trolling skills 0/10

Very poor.

Must try harder.

You have let yourself down.
snow report
elitist Brit

There's nothing elitist about using correct English, you are free to learn it as well. For a start, the first word in a sentence always starts with a capital letter. The personal pronoun "I" is always upper case. At least you got "you're" correct. Well done. I accept your use of "Mercan" spellings e.g. "tire". Webster was quite logical I think.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 8-03-24 1:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@billb, it is hazardous correcting people's writing unless you proof read your own text carefully. wink
snow conditions
@Origen, Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We didnt always have helmets ... how did we survive?
snow conditions
DrLawn wrote:
We didnt always have helmets ... how did we survive?
We survived because of the helmets but dinosaurs didn't survive and I think the answer why is quite obvious!

Anyway, back to the question:
- skiing 20 years and rarely have a helmet, if I have it's only to give an example to kids. Never hit my head while skiing but had multiple minor legs injuries and still no helmet on them.
- snowboard - I ALWAYS wear a helmet, never had a day without hitting my head.
Different sports and different probabilities of injuries.
ski holidays
@Origen, I can't find a mistake - please point it out Shocked
latest report
billb wrote:
@Origen, I can't find a mistake - please point it out Shocked

billb wrote:

There's nothing elitist about using correct English, you are free to learn it as well. For a start, the first word in a sentence always starts with a capital letter. The personal pronoun "I" is always upper case. At leat you got "you're" correct. Well done. I accept your use of "Mercan" spellings e.g. "tire". Webster was quite logical I think.
snow report
@telford_mike, @Origen, ah, thanks! Mea culpa! Late at night, small text on a tablet, getting old, quite tired (I cycled 40 miles with u3a group earlier). So many excuses, I'll shut up now Eh oh!
snow conditions
So much for the troll but on one of the rare occasions I used to wear a helmet, last season I managed to get a bit of brain damage which was no fun at all. Neither were repeated mri scans.

So now I wear one all the time. On that occasion it likely saved my life. I’m still a bit f$cked in the head but shout out to Smith who have a discount policy on new lids for surviving customers.
latest report
@hang11, Shocked
Personally I'm glad this wasn't my head that was split open

snow report
@Hurtle,

Here’s my trophy. Traversing a low angle slope at slow speed on a powder day, caught my edge on some debris under the new snow, fell backwards down slope and took either a rock or a chunk of ice right to the base of the skull. Carried on for the day with a headache, went on an overnight tour next day, the day after that lost vision in one eye and hearing in one ear and face went numb. 9 months on I’m still getting dizzy spells and ringing in my ears. Each to their own when it comes to acceptance of risk etc but I don’t want to be the guy who puts their wife and kids through that trauma if I can possibly help it.

snow report
billb wrote:
elitist Brit

There's nothing elitist about using correct English, you are free to learn it as well. For a start, the first word in a sentence always starts with a capital letter. The personal pronoun "I" is always upper case. At least you got "you're" correct. Well done. I accept your use of "Mercan" spellings e.g. "tire". Webster was quite logical I think.

yah. i couldn’t care a less about ever spelling correctly or capitalizing letters while writing to completely random folks online. it literally makes no difference at all as long as the point is made.
snow report
For: mushes hair less than a hat.

Against: look like a loser; hurts ears.

Choose wisely.
snow conditions
Very, very good skiers seem to be the ones in the often don't wear lids.

Their choice.
latest report
Feels like the question was phrased provocatively.

Outside of our snowsports bubble, around 1 million people attend A&E in the UK each year following a head injury.

The four major causes of head injuries are road traffic accidents, assaults, falls, and accidents during work or sport.

The majority of these would not be wearing a lid, but that doesnt mean that these A&E attendees "dont care about the risk of a major injury".
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy